Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft6"

Default Late Night Binging

Late night eating is definately my downfall. I will eat healthy all day and I am so addicted to stuffing my face at night. It has become such a bad habit, and it has stopped all of my weight loss efforts. And it makes you feel like crap the next day.

I really need to stop this behaviour and learn to be accountable and not wait until TOMORROW to get serious about healthy eating. I've lost weight before, when I was younger I went from 134 to 118 pretty easily. It was honestly so easy, one day I just decided that I wanted to lose weight so I just ate only healthy food. But now that I am older it is not so easy. I have recovered from bulimia but I still binge eat like crazy. So now binging has become my emotional support.

I am really proud of where I am in my life... my school acheivements, jobs, boyfriend etc... but losing weight is the one thing I cant seem to acheive. I know what it takes and I know what works for me. So why cant I do it.

I will be going on vacation at Christmas so now I have a definite goal in mind. I want to get to goal by then so badly. I know I need to establish a exercise and food routine that I can stick with, be accountable with what i eat on Fitday, and post here! I am going to try this plan whole-heartedly and I truly hope that THIS IS THE TIME. in fact I KNOW THIS IS THE TIME!

Thanks for your advice and support.
mesilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/167/120

Height: 5'8"

I'm in the same boat you are, actually. Late-night binging gets me every single time. I find that if I eat healthier/enough during the day, though, that the cravings are diminished somewhat, but I agree...it's still REALLY hard to stop. All I can say is, good luck to you! If you want it badly enough, I'm sure you'll make it. Don't give into tempation.
Prada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #3  
temporarily inactive

Omg, I can completely empathize. I frequently awaken in the midst of the night and make my way downstairs to take down an entire half-gallon of ice cream...not to mention bags of pop corn, etc., etc. I don't know the secret to pulling myself out of the vicious cycle, the only suggestion I have is to eat properly throughout the day to reduce late-night cravings. Temptation is such a sin, isn't it? Argh. Good luck to you :>
makemethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

The only thing I can do to control my binging is to make sure it isn't in the house. Easier said than done if you live with other people. Luckily my husband understands why he has to keep his chocolate in a locked case!
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #5  
Bikini Season :)

late nights kill me! whats worse is alcohol! its like my brain isnt functioning properly anyway and god those 4 value meals look great when im drunk!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #6  

I've only ever seriously attempt to stop my binge eating once before, and I was still drinking then. Alcohol removed my resolve completely, and it was incredibly difficult. Not only goes it make me more hungry, but it also makes me forget what I'm doing, and why!

Being sober this time round, it is easier.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #7  

Thanks for the empathy and support - it is very much appreciated. After a healthy day once again i completely binged on everything in sight. why do i do this! its so frusturating. i just got home from a summer away from home so i am really trying to establish a new healthy routine. i'm going to start using fitday and im going to go to bed earlier. ie. not 3am, in an effort to stop this binging once and for all. i know that the weight would come off if i could control this binging. oh well tomorrow is another day and i will keep trying.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #8  

I know it can be disheartening when its tough Mesilla, but you are doing the right thing by keeping on going. Just keep plodding along, and when the time it right it'll all fall into place. Going to bed earlier sounds like a sensible descision, hope it helps
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ just a few ideas that might help with the late-night binging, which I have a problem with only occasionally now ...

(1) my Dad and sister eat their dinners later in the evening; my Dad eats at 8:00 pm and my sis anywhere from 7:00 pm and later. We have our dinner at 6:00 pm or later now. A friend once told me that eating at 8:00 pm like the Europeans do, kept her from night snacking.

(2) plan a small snack and beverage (non-alcoholic if you have a substance problem) for the same time each evening.

(3) my mother would plan to have a sandwich with a glass of milk or tea in the evening; she cut back in the day to allow for this; a dietician helped her in this matter.

(4) eat dinner later and go to bed earlier.

(5) keep as busy as possible; when you are busy, you are less likely to think about eating (this can help at least part of the time).

(6) drink more fluids, esp before each meal and with each snack. Every time you feel hungry, have a beverage first, then a piece of fruit; or a bowl of cereal or a sandwich (as mentioned earlier).

(7) keep unhealthy foods out of the house; and go out for a walk or visit a friend or relative who can sympathize with your problem.

My biggest issues are HURT FEELINGS and BOREDOM; so, I must make an effort to keep myself occupied with things that are not food-focused; and, find other ways to deal with my feelings (now I sing and write songs & poems, or I go out for a walk, or come on here to distract myself at those times).

I find that the more you practice these coping techniques, the easier it becomes, in time. I hope something here may be helpful to you in some way ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-09-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #10  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I am in this situation too and can't stop, no matter what I do. Each day I tell myself I am not going back into the kitchen after supper, but it happens every single night and I blow all the healthy eating I have done for the day. I hate it and can't stop either.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Funny thing about reading all the above posts -- I could have written them all! I "KNOW" what my problem is, but somehow "FEEL" unable to overcome it. I wake up every morning promising myself that tonight will be different -- only to go through the same scenario again and again.
I've wished for years that I could actually check myself into a clinic or hospital for a month or two, in order to break the cycle. Have any of you been "fortunate" enough to do that?? Just curious if it worked (I can't due to my needing to work).
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #12  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LIZZY ~ we don't have clinics like that here; but that might work if you could afford the money and the time. Twice in my life, when I had a jobs where I worked the evening shift, that took care of the night-eating; I would come home and go to bed. Same goes for if I was out doing something, like taking a class or something.

I think you might be right; that in a hospital or clinic setting where you are not allowed to eat that might help some people. BUT, would you then return to the old, bad habits once you returned home?

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-11-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

I have this same problem, only a little earlier in the evening. I come home from work HUNGRY. Living in the city, by the time I get home (rush hour) and get settled in, it's dinner time. I can never wait the time it takes to cook my dinner so I grab a bunch of stuff to munch on while I am cooking. Last night I ate lite cool whip and some spoonfulls of peanut butter. By then I decided to not eat my chicken I had thawed, but I did go ahead and eat the baked potato. That peanut butter really added a lot of calories! What is wrong with me?!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #14  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

I'm doing the nightshift at a petrol station tonight... on my own.... surrounded by food.... NOT GOOD! i can just see how it's going to end up. And it's not pretty.
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #15  

I just binged again tonight after a super healthy day and promising myself that I was going to make it through the day without binging. When I am eating healthy the thought of eating something semi-fattening/high in calories ie.peanut butter, almonds... seems SO BAD! and i wouldnt even considerate. but then the minute i overeat too much and start to binge (and start to lose control of my eating) i just gorge on these things. i find it very difficult to incorporate normal foods into my diet without feeling guilty and binging on them. i need to seperate my feelings of stress and anxiety from eating. i have been trying for the last year to lose weight and now i have gained like 20 pounds due to binge eating. and now i feel so uncomfortable in my clothes and i want to lose weight so bad. its also difficult losing weight while in university and constantly having many late nights and lots of stress. tomorrow i will try again as i do every day. hopefully i can make it through a whole day without binging. i just need to stay consistent.