Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/254/150

Default Late night over-eating...oh why...

Alright. I know that everyone and their mom has had this problem, and there's probably a million posts on it in this forum but I'm desperate here.

I've literally been gaining and losing the same ten pounds for the past year...15 months actually. I go from 168/169 back up to 178/179 and back down again over and over. I know it's completely tied to late night eating. When I break the habit and stop eating by 6pm I get back down to the 160's. And like clockwork as soon as I get there I go crazy and start eating huge amounts of food before going to bed. Even if I'm really good all day long the food before bed always messes up any progress I'm making.

I need suggestions. Has anybody every overcome this permanently? Are there certain behaviors/habits you changed to avoid this situation? I'm desperate. It's been so long, I feel like this plateau is going to kill me! I'm about to start the school year and I think now would be a good time to work new habits into my schedule...

anything advice would be greatly appreciated!
alliesarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #2  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

I have overcome this permanently or at least i think i have. When i did it, i used to go out to the kitchen and eat one thing and i would spiral out of control and every single time after i felt completely awful, so i decided that when i went out and was faced with the choice, id rather not have a few seconds of pleasure and regret it all night and id rather feel good about myself...this is the choice i make all the time... I usually drink water a lot to stop myself eating...Eating at night isnt totally awful as long as you eat healthily. Just eat a piece of fruit and a drink. dont feel hungry
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #3  

Don't even think you can kick it forever! ;-)

I say that in a positive way though...first get it outta your head that you can never eat at night again. You can, and you will, and you'll do it a lot more if you try and stop forever!

A day at a time. Hey btw you've lost a lot of weight down from 250lbs, thats really great.

I have compulsive over eating problems at all times of day, and at times I have just eaten about..1,000 cals from 7pm til midnight, starving myself during the day..madness. Its hard but the following help:

1 . Eat reguarly and well throughout the day. This balances blood sugar and makes cravings a bit less likely.
2 . If you get hungry, give it half an hour. If you are still hungry, have a small/healthy snack. Repeat strategy throughout evening. Its not 100% guaranteed but it gives you a sense of control.
3 . Go to bed reasonably early, obvious but effective! ;-)
4 . Make a to do list for the evening, if you are prone to boredom and the resulting eating that comes from that.

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #4  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

"I have compulsive over eating problems at all times of day, and at times I have just eaten about..1,000 cals from 7pm til midnight"

SAME HERE!! my downfall is convincing myself it's a good idea to starve myself throughout the day n then just giving in and pigging out at night!

Really good advice there emily, thank you. Although the main issue is thinking about these pointers before you put the food to your mouth, as i often never think about what i'm doing when i'm eating...and then it's too late.

The thing i find easiest when i feel like that is drinking water. Then waiting half an hour. I usually find i'm not hungry any more (well, not AS hungry)

Like emily said, don't try to stop the habit because you'll subconsciously want to rebel against it! The best thing to do is not feel like a failure if you do eat a lot after 6pm, tell yourself you'll do better next time
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #5  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

wow! I was about to make a post just like this!

I also do totally well during the day and completely lose myself when i get home from work. I stuff myself to bursting, even when i didn't feel hungry in the first place!!! you're not alone.........let's try to stop, one hour at a time.
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/254/150

Thanks everybody! Man...it's hard...I think I'm overcoming a major fear of success complex with this one.
Emily, all the advice is wonderful. I think especially the evening to-do list. I haven't tried it yet...but boredom is definitely what gets me. With school starting again I think it will be easier. I'm going to try this idea tonight. Last night was my first binge free night in awhile, so hopefully that will propel me forward a bit.
thanks all! you're all amazing!
alliesarang is offline   Reply With Quote