Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default What makes us want to eat?

Does anyone know?

Hunger, real hunger, like pains in the stomach hunger. That I understand. Body needs fuel so I want to eat. But WHY? What happens when my belly is empty that my brain interprets as the idea to get my hands to put some food in my mouth?

And what is it about the munchies? You know, the my-gut-isn't-empty-but-I-want-to-snack-on-xxxxx? For me, it's little things, like nuts or bits of cereal or little fruits or baby carrots...things that are generally crunchy and in small pieces. What makes me want to do that? I can be satisfied, hunger-wise, but still want to munch on things.

And, especially, why do I crave certain things? What triggers cravings? I've actually done a bit of reading about South Beach and I understand how certain foods can trigger cravings of certain other foods, but what makes me say in the middle of the day, "I could really go for a xxxxx right now!"?

I figure if I can understand WHY I feel these different kinds of hunger/wanting-to-eat, it will be easier to tame the sensation, if the eating would actually not be good for me at the time (like this afternoon when I wanted to eat an entire bag of cashews just because - sure a couple is fine, but I wanted the WHOLE BAG - I didn't eat it, but I'm still sitting here thinking about it three hours later).

Anyone have any ideas?

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #2  

Cravings? causes, possible:

1. Restrictive dieting - everyone knows making something forbidden etc just makes you want it!
2. Habit - once youve had a coffee or a cookie at X time just a few times, its a tough, tough habit to break
3. Boredom
4. Fear
5. Guilt
6. Subconscious aversion to weightloss, eg if you have some unresolved issues pertaining to attractiveness etc, a part of you will self-sabotage
7. Low self-esteem, ie "I don't deserve to eat any better than this"
8. Blood sugar levels - if you eat a lot of sugar, you get highs and lows, and subsequent crashes, meaning body screams out for more sugar etc
9. TOM - well obvious, but I thought I'd put it in
10. Memories and Family Pressure - like, eating a certain food because it makes you feel safe, you associate it with childhood, etc
11. Straight Up Food Addiction - eating releases endorphins in brain, especially fats and sugars, so it really is addictive

a few thoughts anyway!
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #3  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I think my cravings are so strong while dieting because I focus more on the things I can't have than the things I can. Just a thought.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinRockingChair View Post
Cravings? causes, possible:

1. Restrictive dieting - everyone knows making something forbidden etc just makes you want it!
2. Habit - once youve had a coffee or a cookie at X time just a few times, its a tough, tough habit to break
3. Boredom
4. Fear
5. Guilt
6. Subconscious aversion to weightloss, eg if you have some unresolved issues pertaining to attractiveness etc, a part of you will self-sabotage
7. Low self-esteem, ie "I don't deserve to eat any better than this"
8. Blood sugar levels - if you eat a lot of sugar, you get highs and lows, and subsequent crashes, meaning body screams out for more sugar etc
9. TOM - well obvious, but I thought I'd put it in
10. Memories and Family Pressure - like, eating a certain food because it makes you feel safe, you associate it with childhood, etc
11. Straight Up Food Addiction - eating releases endorphins in brain, especially fats and sugars, so it really is addictive

a few thoughts anyway!

You are wise.

1. So true! Except I figure I'd be craving ice cream or something, and it's definitely a crunch factor that I want. I've got two pints of frozen yogurt in the fridge for if I wanted a special treat and I haven't touched them in months.

2. It doesn't hit every day. I could go for a week or more and then all of a sudden without any warning it's like wham-bam-boom trying to get the munchies-monster out of my head.

3. Boredom. What's that? I have three kids five years old and under and a husband and if I get a minute to myself I'm more than happy to either check the boards or read a book! My life is one big multi-task!

4. Fear. I don't know what I could be fearing? Except actually losing the weight. That might sound weird, but what you mentioned in #6 really struck a chord. I do kind of feel like when I get close to a goal I subconsciously saboutage myself. What makes a person do that?

5. Guilt. I don't think so. I'll have to think on that one.

6. See #4.

7. I've been working on this - changing my eating habits because I deserve to like the way I look - doing this for me because I do so much for everyone else...

8. I really feel like my blood sugar levels have been more under control since cutting out a lot of the grains and simple sugars with the South Beach diet. That is so true, though.

9. What is it? Hormones or what? I'm in the middle of a period right now, started on Sunday. Why are women so crazy?

10. This is SO true! I really have to watch myself around holidays!

11. Interesting! Because I don't get the cravings all the time I wouldn't lean toward this one, but knowing that is important.

Thanks again for your insight!

Kara
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSharing83 View Post
I think my cravings are so strong while dieting because I focus more on the things I can't have than the things I can. Just a thought.
I *am* thinking about food ALL the time - planning menus, calculating calories, trying to figure out how to get exercise in for the day to use up such and such number of calories. Maybe my poor little brain can't handle it all!!! This sounds like a perfect excuse for a spa weekend...

Kara
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

Sometimes, the trigger for a craving is obvious to me - if I've had a shock or upset I want something to take my mind of it and take the pain away. Unfortunately my mind seems to think that the only thing that can help in these situations is either alcohol or food.

Other times I'll just get a random craving for no reason. I still get them for alcohol every now and then despite being sober for almost 8 months.

The way I see it, I have a monkey on my back. For some reason, this monkey wants me to eat and drink. He is a cunning thing, he tries alsorts to trick me to eat. I find that I can 'talk' myself out of cravings when I argue with my monkey. Its this monkey that says things like "one won't hurt", "you deserve a treat" or "you'll never be happy without food/drink". I don't know why he wants me to give in, but I'm going to fight this monkey.

I sound like a crazy lady now don't I!
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I have been reading a book called "Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever" by Roger Gould. His take on it is that when hunger comes on suddenly and when it is hunger for a specific food (esp one that is not healthy), then that is emotional hunger, not physical hunger. That really rings true for me.

I lost ~65 pounds two years ago and put most of it back on last year. I am trying to look at what worked for me (calorie counting, exercise) and what didn't (ignoring the emotional component even though I could tell that was becoming more and more of an issue).

Hope you find this helpful!
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I have a similar past to elmay's. And I've signed up for the Roger Gould on-line thing. I hope it helps, too!
I'm getting at the end of my rope.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmay View Post
I have been reading a book called "Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever" by Roger Gould. His take on it is that when hunger comes on suddenly and when it is hunger for a specific food (esp one that is not healthy), then that is emotional hunger, not physical hunger. That really rings true for me.

I lost ~65 pounds two years ago and put most of it back on last year. I am trying to look at what worked for me (calorie counting, exercise) and what didn't (ignoring the emotional component even though I could tell that was becoming more and more of an issue).

Hope you find this helpful!
So what are you supposed to DO to break free from that emotional hunger???

Kara
Old 07-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sometimes, the trigger for a craving is obvious to me - if I've had a shock or upset I want something to take my mind of it and take the pain away. Unfortunately my mind seems to think that the only thing that can help in these situations is either alcohol or food.

Other times I'll just get a random craving for no reason. I still get them for alcohol every now and then despite being sober for almost 8 months.

The way I see it, I have a monkey on my back. For some reason, this monkey wants me to eat and drink. He is a cunning thing, he tries alsorts to trick me to eat. I find that I can 'talk' myself out of cravings when I argue with my monkey. Its this monkey that says things like "one won't hurt", "you deserve a treat" or "you'll never be happy without food/drink". I don't know why he wants me to give in, but I'm going to fight this monkey.

I sound like a crazy lady now don't I!

Does your monkey have a name? I think I will give mine a name so I can just randomly yell out, "NO, Grunhilda!" or something like that. I mean, if you're going to be crazy, you might as well go all out, right?!

Kara
Old 07-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
So what are you supposed to DO to break free from that emotional hunger???

Kara
Briefly, as I understand it, you look at what emotions you are using food to avoid or deal with, and deal with them in another way. In addition to the book, which is available from an online bookstore (the one I used had the "search inside" feature enabled to read a bit of it at a time to see if it is something that would work for you), there is also a website -- just search on "shrink yourself".
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote