Old 08-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #31  
Ladean

S/C/G: 246/148/maintaining

Height: 5'8

I feel the same way..I used to buy clothes because they fit, not because that's what I really wanted to wear..But now I can buy clothes that are in style and I like them..It's a fun reward for all our hard work...I am on day 3 of Atkins, and so far so good, and the great thing is I'm never hungry.
IlostIT4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #32  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

To me Atkins has been a lifesaver. I couldn't do the calorie restricted diets. I would get too hungry and over-eat. I never feel hungry now and I am glad that you don't either, Ladean. It really has worked best for me. I tried plenty of other diet plans over the years and without strong diet pills and feeling completly "goofy" from the pills, I just couldnt' stick to it. I know a lot of people lose weight great from calorie counting, it just didn't work for me. I think the extra protein is what keeps me full and I will eat this way for life.

I do have a new love in my life. It's not a man, it's shopping. LOL
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #33  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Lily~ nice going with the new cloths!! Im glad your hubby enjoys seeing you with new things. Kids do, do that dont they?? Mine rats me out a bit too often too

Today was a great day, dd and I went for a bike ride, then spent most of the evening playing badminton with all the other neighbourhood kids.

Food was bang on, exercise in....things are falling back into place.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #34  
lilybelle

Does anyone have any experience with pedometers. I bought one yesterday at sporting goods store. It doesn't work at all when it is on my beltloop. So, I put it on my shoe and it worked. Well since I am a SAHM, I dont' wear shoes all day. It had counted 350 steps this evening when I put it on for 3 hrs. Then I decided to take my shoes off and put it on a strap around my ankle . (My DD said I looked like Martha Stewart , Lol, on house arrest). Anyway it counted 600 more steps while I was not moving. What's up? Does anyone Know? Did I get a faulty one? Where do I need to put it? It wasn't cheap, I paid $18.00 for it at the mall. I was trying to get 10,000 steps and now I will never know. Help please.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #35  
Ladean

Lily, I don't have my Atkins book right now, I loaned it out and never got it back, so I need to purchase another one, but in the meantime can you tell me if I am right or wrong, about meats and cheese, can we how much we want? I ate a whole chicken breast last night, something I haven't done in a long time...And I also ate4 good slices of cheese with lunch yesterday...Anyway, when you get a minute, could you please give me a quick run down on what and how much is ok..I know in the beggining NO carbs,,what about fruits? and veggies?

Last edited by IlostIT4ever; 08-05-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #36  
Lovin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlostIT4ever
..I know in the beggining NO carbs,,what about fruits? and veggies?
You start with 20 carbs, for the first 2 weeks. No fruits, but salad veggies are allowed. I would suggest you delete your email from your post, before some spammer gets it. Pm Lily instead with it if you like. Its just safer.

Ok, either I looked at the scale wrong the other day, or I dropped 12lbs in the last 3 days Which could very well be. Suddenly my jeans are alot looser, and I can twirl my rings on my fingers again. I know I was holding alot of water.....but Im still wondering if I was reading the scale wrong the other day!!

Not alot planned for today....playing outside with the kids Im sure.

Have a great day ladies.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #37  
Ladean

Robin, thanks for the info, opppps I've been eating veggies the past 4 days, no fruits..Ok salad veggies, are we talking just lettuce? What about Avacados, I can't remember if they are allowed or not, I'm sorry for being such a pain....And thanks for the heads up about putting my email in my post, that was a dumb thing to do...WOW 12 pounds? I lost 6 pounds in 2 days before, I'm sure it was all water weight for me...Just watch it the next few days and see what happens, hey 12 pounds is 12 pounds, that's awesome...LILY: I don't know anything about them sorry, but I do want to get one, so I am curious as well.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #38  

I used to be disappointed when dh didn't notice that I had something new. Then I realized it was a blessing in disguise because I could get something and he wouldn't even notice!! My teenage dd tells on me lots, too. Ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #39  
Baby Steps

I'm starting to feel better. I'm hoping that when I start drinking water on Monday (and hoping I'll feel up to doing the WATP tape) I'll get rid of the bloated feeling. I've not cheated so the bloating came with TOM...and isn't leaving too fast. I've not had this bloating this bad before, so it's something new. Gotta love changing bodies!! I should be back full-time next week and be able to keep up with personals. Keep up the great work everyone!!
WTG Robin on the lost weight! AWESOME!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 211/162/135

Height: 5'3"

Acceptable Foods

These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,
including ...
All fowl,
including ... All shellfish,
including ...
All meat,
including ... All eggs,
including ...
tuna
chicken
oysters*
beef
scrambled
salmon turkey mussels*
pork fried
sole duck duck lamb poached
trout goose clams bacon** soft-boiled
flounder Cornish hen squid veal hard-boiled
sardines quail shrimp ham**
deviled
herring pheasant crabmeat venison omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

* cheddar
* cow, sheep and goat cheese
* cream cheese
* Gouda
* mozzarella
* Roquefort and other blue cheeses
* Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Vegetables
You should eat 12-15 net carbs a day of vegetables. These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber:

* alfalfa sprouts
* daikon
* mushrooms
* arugula
* endive
* parsley
* bok choy
* escarole
* peppers
* celery
* fennel
* radicchio
* chicory
* jicama
* radishes
* chives
* lettuce
* romaine lettuce
* cucumber
* mâche
* sorrel

Other Vegetables
Within the 12-15 net carb daily vegetable requirement, these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables listed above, but they also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily food intake:

* artichoke
* celery root
* pumpkin
* artichoke hearts
* rhubarb
* asparagus
* chard
* sauerkraut
* bamboo shoots
* collard greens
* scallions
* dandelion
* snow peas
* bean sprouts
* dandelion greens
* spaghetti squash
* beet greens
* eggplant
* spinach
* broccoli
* hearts of palm
* string or wax beans
* broccoli rabe
* kale
* summer squash
* Brussels sprouts
* kohlrabi
* tomato
* bean sprouts
* leeks
* turnips
* cabbage
* okra
* water chestnuts
* cauliflower
* onion
* zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Salad Garnishes

* crumbled crisp bacon
* grated cheese
* minced hard-boiled egg
* sautéed mushrooms
* sour cream
* Spices
* All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.
* Herbs
* basil
* garlic
* rosemary
* cayenne pepper
* ginger
* sage
* cilantro
* oregano
* tarragon
* dill
* pepper
* thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are now available.)
You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM may interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, etc., should be avoided. However, most sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:

* Filtered water
* Mineral water
* Spring water
* Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

* Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
* Club soda
* Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
* Decaffeinated or regular coffee or tea*
* Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
* Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
* Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
* Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons

* Caffeine can cause cravings or blood sugar spikes with some people. If you’re one of them, you should drink only decaffeinated beverages. If you don’t have a problem with caffeine, you may drink one or two caffeinated beverages a day, because evolving research indicates there may actually be health benefits to a limited amount of caffeine. However, if you have a true caffeine addiction, it will be best to break it during Induction, because any food addiction can cause problems if it isn’t taken care of. Once you’ve broken the addiction and moved on to OWL, you can carefully try adding caffeinated beverages back into your food intake, as long as it doesn’t trigger the addiction again.

Special Category Foods

To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

1. Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
2. While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.
Juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 211/162/135

Height: 5'3"

OOooops.. lol

That was a bit of a mess. Just trying to be helpful.

Okay ladies.. I'm off to San Diego for a week of rest and relaxation. whoo hoo. I'm gonna do my best to stay on program.

Have a great week all!

- Jux
Juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #42  
Ladean

Jux, thanks so much, I really appreciate that...Ok, other then the veggies, I think I've done ok so far...Have a great trip! Be safe.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #43  

Thanks for posting that, Jux. It was a great reminder to me what I should be doing. San Diego is my favorite place on the planet - Carlsbad, specificly! I LOVE the beach. The boys and I were there last year at this time for some 'beach time'. The sound of the surf, warm sand under my feet, the ocean breeze - somehow these things sooth my soul. I hope you have a great time! Shouldn't be hard to get your exercise in.

I just knew it was bunches of water weight, Robin, caused by the high heat you all were having. Congrats! You are doing it now, girl!

Hi, Brenda. Yeah, I need to kick by butt in gear too. What with court crap, selling the house, etc. I've been doing waaay too much 'oh, poor me' eating. Why can't I be one of those people who don't eat and loose tons of weight when they are stressed???

Lily - I hope your ankle is doing better today.

Have a good day all and don't forget to do something nice for yourselves today -

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #44  
Lovin' Life

Thanks Jux!! Im going to print that off and tape it on the inside of my cupboard. I get bored with the same ole thing .....this will spark some imagination Have fun on your vacation!!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #45  
lilybelle

Jux, thanks for posting that foods list. I don't have my book anymore either. My oldest step-daughter borrowed it and that was the end of it. I have looked to buy another one and can't ever find one. I did get the Essentials book and Maintenance book and have them.