Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #1  

Default Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi

Hi everyone -

I know caffeine is a no-no...especially on induction. Are these sodas ok to drink in moderation? Anyone have any info on it?
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Buffy

Personally, I don't drink any diet soda. Mainly for 2 reasons, caffeine & aspartame. I stick strickly with water & occasionally, decaf green tea. But, thats just me

All the best to you!!

KIm
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #3  

Hi Kim!

Yeah, I actually try to stay away from soda too. I do like to have a pepsi once in a great while though. I actually drank a caffeine free diet pepsi today. It has no carbs, no cals, etc. Just wondering what you all thought about it. I need to check my book and see what it says about it.

What about coffee? Is it ok for decaf?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Some of us have given up caffeine, and some havent. I havent given up my coffee, but I will have a caffeine free diet pepsi once in a while on a hot day. Had one tonight actually. I like them in the evening, that way I dont have to worry about being up all night.

Some find the diet soda's stall them out, and slow down the weightloss considerably. You will find out your own way and if you will have problems with the soda.

Its kinda trial and error as to what will affect you and what wont.

My opinion? One or two a week are alright.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy0
Hi Kim!

Yeah, I actually try to stay away from soda too. I do like to have a pepsi once in a great while though. I actually drank a caffeine free diet pepsi today. It has no carbs, no cals, etc. Just wondering what you all thought about it. I need to check my book and see what it says about it.

What about coffee? Is it ok for decaf?
Hi Buffy!

I got my book out and here's what Dr. Atkins has to say about it:

From DANDR Page 127 - Allowed Beverages - "Clear Broth, Bouillon (not all brands,read the label), Club Soda, Cream (heavy or light, limit to 2 to 3 Tablespoons a day *note carb content), Decaf coffee or tea"

Page 189 - "Stay out of the java jungle. Excessive caffeine (found not only in coffee but in tea, chocolate, and many soft drinks) has been shown to cause a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) reaction, which will provoke cravings and cause you to overeat. Omitting caffeine may be a big sacrafice for you, but in my experience, weight loss often starts up again as soon as people remove aspartame and caffeine from their regimen."

Hope that information helps you.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #6  

Hey there Jerseygyrl & RobinW -

Trial and error is exactly it. I think I found my stall! My last time around doing the atkins last month, I kept up with my coffee. I work long hours sometimes I would sneak in another cup in the afternoon. I was losing weight, but it seemed slow (I didn't care though, as long as I was losing).

This time around I would like to cut out my caffine altogether. I do, however, like coffee so I've switched to decaf. A cup in the morning with heavy cream and I seem to be ok. Yesterday I had a bit of a headache but nothing major.

BUT -- the great news is I lost 5 lbs in 3 days! I know it's all water weight but I'm thrilled...because these past few weeks have been sad -- I gained a few pounds and went back up to 190...I am back down to 185!!! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the info on the diet soda -- I too like one once in a while when I feel a sweet tooth craving. 1-2 times a week max...and this seems to do the trick.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/220/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't drink much diet soda but when I do I usally drink diet rite soda.
catcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I gave up caffeine (and nearly all artificial sweeteners) for almost a year. It did nothing for my weight, one way or the other. I gave it up because I had read that it worsens fibromyalgia symptoms for many people. I have fibro and at the time was suffering terribly with pain, fatigue, brain fog (exactly what it sounds like) and memory problems. I didn't notice any difference here either, but once I gave it up, I assumed I was getting health benefits from the sacrifice so I never really thought about it.

The fatigue was still so bad that I was sleeping 16 - 20 hours most days. Finally I asked my doctor about prescription meds like provigil (a non-speed alertness drug). The doctor asked me about caffeine use, and I told him none. The doctor told me about studies showing that moderate caffeine use actually has health benefits, and that I shouldn't worry about aspartame if I didn't experience headaches or other adverse symptoms.

So I resumed diet sodas and teas (green and black), and it really helped alot. I still drink less caffeine than the average coffee drinker, but
I've given up, giving it up.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote