Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #16  
Mommy of two
Thread Starter
 
slimminginohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19

S/C/G: 208/190/150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl
Hi SIO

Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? If not, that is my first suggestion. The beauty of Atkins is you are allowed to eat!! I've lost nearly 90 lbs eating this way. I've stayed basically at Induction level carbs (20-25) since I am still trying to lose another 15-20 lbs.

If you have any questions I can help you with please feel free to PM me anytime time.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!

Kim

JerseyGryl - I've definetly read the book, it's just that I've never been a big eater, I just ate the wrong things. I mainly liked muffins for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. All the carbs is what killed me. I never wished for more meat, I always wished for more bread. I guess even if I could I just would not want to eat six pieces of bacon for breakfast. I still want to eat a normal amount. What about portions? I know it's o.k. to eat 8 pieces of bacon, 3 hamburgers, 2 steaks and 3 eggs in one day, but is that good for you in the long run? I think I would want to go with leaner meats like skinless chicken breast, turkey and fish. I'm just not sure I like the fact of eating so much red meat and pork. I definetly like the eliminating the simple sugars and carbs though it's just all the fat and meat eating I'm not sure about... Are you still eating 6 pieces of bacon and such a day or did you just do that to lose the initial weight? Do you think the fatty meat helps people feel like they are not missing out on other foods?

SIO
slimminginohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #17  
Senior Member
 
Falon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 294

Default

Sio -

I understand your question... totally! I eat normal portions because I don't want to over eat. I know that others here have eated large amounts in the beginning of their loss, but they have also tappered off to fairly regular portions. I think I ate quite a bit in the beginning as well, but tappered off almost immediately. I eat lean meats, veggies, organic, and clean. I don't use artificial sweetners (though I used to) and I eat on a 9 inch plate instead of an average 13 incher, and my portions are pretty small, or what is considered AVERAGE. It is doable, and on Atkin's you shouldn't feel like you have to gorge in order to loose. I think what Kim is saying, is maybe add in a few more snacks during the day. If your body feels like it's going into starvation mode, you will stop loosing. It's your bodies way of hanging on to what you have in order to survive. Here is what I usually eat in a day, and am loosing just fine:

B - high protien shake with psylium husk and flax meal added
L - tuna in half of an avacado, tomato, and a slice of cheese
D - (last night) 4 oz steak with a side of asperagus, 1 cup of salad
Snacks - cucumber and yogurt cheese, or unsweetened coconut (yummy)

There are plenty of times that I only eat a vegetarian meal for dinner, so it is something you can work on if you don't want as much meat. You have to figure out the portion sizes and carbs of what you are eating so you don't exceed. If you are still in the induction phase, it won't be easy, but with time you can adjust to your liking.
Oh, and you can eat other forms of healthy fat like avacado's if you don't want to rely on the fat from meats. Also olive oil is another good substitute if you don't want to use butter. I use it more than anything else...
Good luck on your journey. Utilize this forum, and venture out into the weekly chat. You'll really like it there...
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #18  
Mommy of two
Thread Starter
 
slimminginohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19

S/C/G: 208/190/150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Sio -

I understand your question... totally! I eat normal portions because I don't want to over eat. I know that others here have eated large amounts in the beginning of their loss, but they have also tappered off to fairly regular portions. I think I ate quite a bit in the beginning as well, but tappered off almost immediately. I eat lean meats, veggies, organic, and clean. I don't use artificial sweetners (though I used to) and I eat on a 9 inch plate instead of an average 13 incher, and my portions are pretty small, or what is considered AVERAGE. It is doable, and on Atkin's you shouldn't feel like you have to gorge in order to loose. I think what Kim is saying, is maybe add in a few more snacks during the day. If your body feels like it's going into starvation mode, you will stop loosing. It's your bodies way of hanging on to what you have in order to survive. Here is what I usually eat in a day, and am loosing just fine:

B - high protien shake with psylium husk and flax meal added
L - tuna in half of an avacado, tomato, and a slice of cheese
D - (last night) 4 oz steak with a side of asperagus, 1 cup of salad
Snacks - cucumber and yogurt cheese, or unsweetened coconut (yummy)

There are plenty of times that I only eat a vegetarian meal for dinner, so it is something you can work on if you don't want as much meat. You have to figure out the portion sizes and carbs of what you are eating so you don't exceed. If you are still in the induction phase, it won't be easy, but with time you can adjust to your liking.
Oh, and you can eat other forms of healthy fat like avacado's if you don't want to rely on the fat from meats. Also olive oil is another good substitute if you don't want to use butter. I use it more than anything else...
Good luck on your journey. Utilize this forum, and venture out into the weekly chat. You'll really like it there...

Oh o.k. Falon, that sounds great. I like your approach. I will try some of those healthy fats you mentioned and I love having vegetatrian meals sometimes. In fact, before I tried Atkins, I considered giving up meat (go figure). I will use the things you mentioned. I too am striving for a clean, lean diet and i just couldn't wrap my mind around so much meat and fat.

SIO
slimminginohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #19  
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 3,060

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face The Atkins Way Of Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimminginohio
What about portions? I know it's o.k. to eat 8 pieces of bacon, 3 hamburgers, 2 steaks and 3 eggs in one day, but is that good for you in the long run? I think I would want to go with leaner meats like skinless chicken breast, turkey and fish. I'm just not sure I like the fact of eating so much red meat and pork. I definetly like the eliminating the simple sugars and carbs though it's just all the fat and meat eating I'm not sure about... Are you still eating 6 pieces of bacon and such a day or did you just do that to lose the initial weight? Do you think the fatty meat helps people feel like they are not missing out on other foods?

SIO
Hi SIO
Portion control on any eating plan is very important. No, it is NOT ok to eat 8 slices of bacon, 3 hamburgers, 2 steaks and 3 eggs in one day. If someone claiming to be doing the Atkins way of eating is consuming all that..they are NOT doing Atkins correctly. The concept behind a low carb lifestyle is to restrict the amount of carbs & increase the amount of protein, good carbs (like high fiber veggies) and fats. Eating this way in turn forces the body to burn its stored fat rather than carbs for fuel. In everyday language, you can indulge in a cheeseburger, just eliminate the bun. The low carb lifestyle is exactly as it sounds, you eat protein & fat and you limit carbs. Eating Chicken, Turkey & Fish are all acceptable on Atkins http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/

As for myself, my menu is basically 2 eggs prepared in butter with 3 slices of bacon or 2 links of sausage for breakfast...Salad with either grilled chicken or tuna salad for lunch, usually with no carb ranch dressing...some type of meat, poultry or fish with a veggie & small salad for dinner. And yes, eating protein causes you to feel satisfied longer.

Atkins is a great program that can be done for life when it is done correctly. I'm sure you will read many success stories on this board from those who have chosen Atkins as their way of eating

I wish you all the best and please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

All the best to you!!

Kim

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #20  
Mommy of two
Thread Starter
 
slimminginohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19

S/C/G: 208/190/150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl
Hi SIO
Portion control on any eating plan is very important. No, it is NOT ok to eat 8 slices of bacon, 3 hamburgers, 2 steaks and 3 eggs in one day. If someone claiming to be doing the Atkins way of eating is consuming all that..they are NOT doing Atkins correctly. The concept behind a low carb lifestyle is to restrict the amount of carbs & increase the amount of protein, good carbs (like high fiber veggies) and fats. Eating this way in turn forces the body to burn its stored fat rather than carbs for fuel. In everyday language, you can indulge in a cheeseburger, just eliminate the bun. The low carb lifestyle is exactly as it sounds, you eat protein & fat and you limit carbs. Eating Chicken, Turkey & Fish are all acceptable on Atkins http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/

As for myself, my menu is basically 2 eggs prepared in butter with 3 slices of bacon or 2 links of sausage for breakfast...salad with with either grilled chicken or tuna salad for lunch, usually with no carb ranch dressing...some type of meat, poultry or fish with a veggie & small salad for dinner. And yes, eating protein causes you to feel satisfied longer.

Atkins is a great program that can be done for life when it is done correctly. I'm sure you will read many success stories on this board from those who have chosen Atkins as their way of eating

I wish you all the best and please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

All the best to you!!

Kim

Thanks JerseyGryl, your menu sounds way closer to what I would eat. I just thought you had suggested I needed to eat more and suggested like 6 pieces of bacon and 3 eggs and I just knew that wasn't for me... Since you have been doing this so long, have you added back fruit and other complex carbs like brown rice yet?

SIO
slimminginohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #21  
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 3,060

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimminginohio
Thanks JerseyGryl, your menu sounds way closer to what I would eat. I just thought you had suggested I needed to eat more and suggested like 6 pieces of bacon and 3 eggs and I just knew that wasn't for me... Since you have been doing this so long, have you added back fruit and other complex carbs like brown rice yet?

SIO
Oh you are very welcome SIO Atkins works by eating fats...we are all conditioned to believe eating fat is bad...thats why this way of eating is often termed "unhealthy" .

To answer your question, no...I have not added fruit or brown rice. I am perfectly content with eating what is allowed on the allowed foods list and maintaining 20-25 carbs per day. I'd still like to lose another 15 lbs or so.

All the best to you!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #22  
Senior Member
 
Buffy0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Posts: 107

Default

Hello slimminginohio -

I have a different story on Atkins. I actually LOVE red meats and enjoyed the thought of being able to eat all of my favorite things. Before, I definitely overate everything in site. When I started Atkins, I was prepared with lots of things ready to eat so I didn't run for a bowl of sugar cereal or some other carb-loaded treasure.

My first week consisted of lots of red meats and veggies. After a few days though, my body was satified with less and for some reason, I learned how to eat differently. I now enjoy leaner meats like you. My menu kind of consists of the following:
B: 4 slices of bacon, 1 egg, 1 cup of decaf coffee, 1 tbsp half-n-half
S: 2 slices of bacon (told you I love meat)
L: Salad with either tuna or skinless grilled chicken breast
S: Celery w/ cream cheese or just cheese
D: Fish or chicken

But now, I don't eat the snacks as often. I'm happy with my meals only and drinks tons and tons of water. If I feel hungry (and I know I'm not -- that's just the old me wanting food), I drink decaf hot tea. Wonderful! And I have since cut out the night eating -- I used to be terrible about eating at night.

So basically what I am trying to say, is Atkins reteaches you how to eat and look at food. It's not about just eating fatty foods without the bread...it's about portion control and eating foods that will truly keep you satisfied longer.

I hope my little tid-bit helps you. And good luck to you! If I can do it, anyone can!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #23  
Susan hockeyfan7
 
hockeyfan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,081

Default

Sorry Kim, I do not agree with you. I lost 145 lbs so far eating whatever I felt like which included 6 pieces of bacon, sausage, and 3 eggs for breakfast if I wanted. A large steak, 3 or 4 hamburgers at a time, lots of cheese, etc. for lunch and dinner. I stick to the required amount of veggies.

All my stats are perfectly normal -- blood glucose, cholesterol, HCL, LDL, triglycerides, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather not be hungry and tempted to eat carbs rather than worry about if I'm only eating chicken and fish and stuff like that. It's working for me and when I don't follow what I did to lose the weight so far, I start gaining.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #24  
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 3,060

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7
Sorry Kim, I do not agree with you. I lost 145 lbs so far eating whatever I felt like which included 6 pieces of bacon, sausage, and 3 eggs for breakfast if I wanted. A large steak, 3 or 4 hamburgers at a time, lots of cheese, etc. for lunch and dinner. I stick to the required amount of veggies.

All my stats are perfectly normal -- blood glucose, cholesterol, HCL, LDL, triglycerides, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather not be hungry and tempted to eat carbs rather than worry about if I'm only eating chicken and fish and stuff like that. It's working for me and when I don't follow what I did to lose the weight so far, I start gaining.
Hi Hockeyfan7

First of all. I'd like to say congratulations to you...you have done great!!!!

I am sorry for my comment in the earlier post to SIO...I should have worded it better. So, I'm here to explain what I meant Many people have the misconception that Atkins is all about sitting all day eating pounds of bacon, lots of eggs, lots of red meat, etc. When people saw me eating salads & veggies...they would scratch their heads in disbelief and say "are you sure you're on Atkins???" You mentioned you stick to the required amount of veggies As far as I'm concerned, you ARE doing Atkins correctly! The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. You've proved Atkins works And I agree with you totally, I too would rather not be tempted to eat something I shouldn't rather than worry about eating chicken or fish (although, I happen to like both).

All I know is, I'm an Atkins girl Its worked for me. I know I am a lot healthier today at 157 lbs than I was 2 years ago at 245

I apologize for any misunderstanding and again, you've done great & I know you will continue to do great!! Way to go!!!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #25  
Susan hockeyfan7
 
hockeyfan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,081

Default

No offense taken Kim. Every one of us loses weight differently and it's a trial and error to find what works best for each person. Some people lose better eating less and some lose better eating more. The trick is to get it to work!
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #26  
Senior Member
 
rebeleagle1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Morenci, AZ
Posts: 268

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default

I'm like Susan and Buffy-I don't try to limit how many pieces of bacon or burger I eat....if I'm hungry, and if I tried to worry about all of that instead of getting satisfied on the allowed foods, I wouldn't last long on this diet. Hey-I eat all I want of the free/clean foods, and I've lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months! Besides, all of the carbs we used to eat were turning into fat before anyway-probably more fat came from that on a daily basis than the natural fats we are consuming now, even if you do choose to eat 6 slices of bacon. Fat still clogs arteries, no matter how what kind of food it originated from. This is still a healthier way to eat than what got us here in the first place! On this diet, we are using the fat we eat for energy, not only burning off what we've eaten, but going past that and getting down to the stuff we have stored! I think that's why you can eat those things and have your cholesterol and triglyceride levels improve-fat we eat doesn't hang around in the body long enough to do any damage like before.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.