Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Logical Explanation

I know there's got to be a logical explanation for why the scale would jump up and then slowly go down. But why the same 3 pounds? Why can't it go DOWN then slowly up and down again? It's like I'm doing a deja-vu. Nothing in my menu has changed (unless you count the water intake being good. No soda's. And no peanuts?) No new exercises (lol. I'm the slug-remember?).

You know, if I didn't feel so dang GOOD (not bloated, gassy, etc) I'd be tempted to cheat just to make it worth seeing those numbers on the scale. Kind of like being accused of something and wanting to do it just to make it true?

Well, I'm guessing I need to figure out how to exercise. Even if it's just the 1mile WATP . Well, shopping today-that's exercise

Forgot to mention. The tape measure has gone down a little (in the past couple weeks) so that's a plus. And I've got the "armpit smell" that Atkins says is my body burning fat...so why doesn't the scale have a downward swing? Am I too used to having seen the "fast results" the first time?

If anyone has suggestions (other than the exercise) I'm open to them!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #2  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

well the measurements are moving down so it IS working....my suggestions, hmm...if I were you I'd stay away from any salty meat like sausage, summer sausage, etc.

If you HAVE to see those 3 pounds leave, try the fat fast or the eggs teehee

I know you just wanted non exercise replies but I'd definitely step the exercise up, that is GUARANTEED to make them go away...even a mile would be awesome, ANY kind of moving around

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

My body does that too. Sometimes it is because I've cheated. Other times it has to do with extra salt. Extra water retention. I believe there are times when we have food in us that hasn't left yet. Sometimes I think it is just a natural reaction. Our bodies trying to resist weight loss.

I kind of believe that when we get into a patter of that. The jump up and then move down slowly thing, it is a sign that either we really need to stick with it harder, or maybe we need to adjust something.

Our bodies will after awhile resist the same old thing. People talk about how when they first start exercising it nearly kills them, and then they get used to it, like it, can increase their endurance for a lot more time and then suddenly what they are doing isn't working any more. They don't continue to make any progress. So then they have to adjust their exercise routine so that they start making gains again. Our bodies adapt. The same thing doesn't always continue to work.

With diet, I think a way of adjusting is to eat more. Then for a time eat less. Keep the body guessing. Or change the types of foods. If you normally eat a lot of fat eat less of it, or if you normally eat low fat, increase it some. Switching things around keeps the body from being able to say "Ok I know what this is and I know how to cope with it".

I know what you are saying about how discouraging it can be to be "accused" of cheating when you haven't. Maybe you had soy sauce? Or something else that is highly salty? I once gained 4 pounds in the space of a few hours just from salty beef jerky.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Thanks for the advice. And yup, I'll work on increasing my exercise (ANY would be an increase right now ). And I'll re-look at what I've eaten. Maybe I'm not eating enough?? Could that make it do that??
Old 03-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #5  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Brenda- YES not eating enough can make you hold on to weight...your body starts hoarding every calorie afraid it isnt gonna get anymore thus slowing your metabolism and holding on to everything it gets...trust me I have been there and done that Trick it by eating more for a day or two and then going back to normal and those 3 pounds should come off quick ...
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

I once increased calories intentionally and started losing weight. It was weird. Seemed so counter intuitive. So I lowered them again and stopped losing.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #7  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

I know that you said that you didnt want to hear exercise, but girl you gotta do it. It will make you feel better too.
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Well, looking at the past few days I haven't been eating enough either. Ugh...and yes, I'll start exercising....next week No seriously, I'll try and get a 1 mile WATP done starting Monday. Somehow. I'll also figure out how to increase my food intake. Didn't even realise I wasn't eating what I should until I posted in here and you all started answering Thanks everyone
Old 03-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hey it si workign for me exercise and that will get the metabolism started up, But sherry if you are losing in inches then you are trading fat for muscle as the protien intake is up there, muscle weighs 5 times more than fat so that is why it keeps jumping back and forth for those few lbs. wait until it evens out!! (but not to wait for the exercise to start!!)
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #10  
Susan hockeyfan7

Brenda, I don't know your vital statistics, but google a site for BMR calculation and figure out what yours is. That will tell you how many calories a day your body needs to maintain. You can safely drop that daily number up to 1000 calories and you will lose weight. Any more than that, and you will stop losing. Your body will think you are starving it and quit.

I also find that with Atkins I can eat more calories and still lose.

And sorry, but you do need the exercise. Weight loss is 75% food and 25% exercise. Start with just 10 minutes a day and add a minute every day and pretty soon you will be addicted.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote