Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #1  
Going to ONEderland

Default This month

February's almost over and I've only lost 4 pounds this month, 2 of which keep coming back on. I don't get this. I've been good. (well except for parts of 3 days of the month). Last month I made almost 4 of my goals setting them one after the other and starting with just small goals. This month I only made one, and that was the one that was left over from last month. (I was within 2 pounds of there when the month started).

I feel thinner. I just don't understand what is happening. Maybe I'm in starvation mode? Need to increase my calories? I just hate doing that it seems counter intuitive. On the other hand eating very little (which is what I've been doing) doesn't seem to be working.

I do hope things pick up in March.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #2  

Oh it will! I had my 3 weeks where I wasn't loosing a thing, yet I had not cheated at all. Then I raised my intake because I don't think I was taking in enough, cut out those Atkins bars for breakfast, and started to excersise rather than talking about it, then it started to come off again. Oh and I had to get much more strict on on the carbs. Even though I kept it at 20, that was to much. I took about 5 off.

The great irony of all this, is you are not alone. Are you taking in to many carbs? Try increasing the food. I do think that helped with me.

Here's to March! It's gonna be better than February!
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #3  
Susan hockeyfan7

Sherry, I'm with you. I didn't have a very good month. Wednesday is March 1 and it's also Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent, so I feel like it's a good time to start anew.

I want to lose 10 lbs before Easter and that should be more than doable since that's 40 days from Wednesday.

I got antibiotics and an inhaler for my upper respiratory infection since this is middle of 3rd week. Once I finish those, I can go back to the gym next week. Time to get back on the track.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #4  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I keep a copy of this quote from Tennessee, see if any of this could be a problem:

Quote:
Do you have the book and have you read it front to back 2 or more times? In my book, there are no shakes or processed foods on induction. Induction consists of fresh meats, eggs, and limited veggies and cheese.

Do you weigh an measure food for accurate counts?

Do you use Fitday to double check that you are not eating more carbs than you think you are?

Are you 100% honest with yourself about what you are eating?

Are you using “off” items that might contain sugar such as: toothpaste, cough drops, mouth wash, etc…?

Did you measure yourself when you started? Have you lost inches anywhere?

Do you know what a “real” portion size is? Most people are waaaay off on this! Especially with items such as nuts and cheese.

Are you sure you are in ketosis? Did your strips turn color? These can be inaccurate as too much protein can also change the color. Do you have the bad breath and "stinky" urine of ketosis?

Are you taking any medications?

Are you taking your vitamins? Or supplements?

Have you checked to see if you have a yeast problem? (This is more than a female yeast infection…it is a body wide and affects men too...it is called Candidas)

Have you had your thyroid tested? TSH is NOT enough! You want to have TSH, T3, T4, FT3, and FT4 tested.

Have you had a physical to rule out any “outside” problems?

Are you on any medications? What about birth control?

ARE you ABSOLUTELY sure that you are not eating ANYTHING you are not supposed to? One little slice of bread…a bite of cookie, a lick of frosting, one M&M??????

Do you use too much artificial sweetener?

Do you know if you are sensitive to sodium/salt? Could you be retaining water at all?

Are you close to your period/TOM?

Have you removed all food items containing nitrates?

Are you in menopause or peri?

Are you depressed or unusually stressed?

Do you get enough sleep?

Have you kept a diary or log of EVERY single thing you have eaten?

Have you tried giving up dairy?

Have you cut out nuts? Do you HONESTLY know what a portion of nuts looks like?

Have you been over eating meat? A 3 oz portion of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.

Have you tried lowering your calories?

Have you tried lowering your fat intake?

How many times have you dieted in your life? In the last few years? Some people believe your metabolism gets altered by this.

Are you overeating? Is it possible that you are eating until you feel stuffed rather than stopping when you are no longer hungry?

HAVE YOU BEEN COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOURSELF???????
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #5  
Going to ONEderland

Do you have the book and have you read it front to back 2 or more times? In my book, there are no shakes or processed foods on induction. Induction consists of fresh meats, eggs, and limited veggies and cheese.

I'm not on induction exactly. I mostly eat meat, eggs, limited veggies and cheese. I don't eat much processed foods (unless you are talking about ham, sausage and bacon), I do eat low carb treats. I haven't read the book again and again, but I have read two different Atkins books and referred to it many times. I know how the diet works.

Do you weigh an measure food for accurate counts?

No

Do you use Fitday to double check that you are not eating more carbs than you think you are?

no

Are you 100% honest with yourself about what you are eating?

yes

Are you using “off” items that might contain sugar such as: toothpaste, cough drops, mouth wash, etc…?

no

Did you measure yourself when you started? Have you lost inches anywhere?

this month? I'm not sure

Do you know what a “real” portion size is? Most people are waaaay off on this! Especially with items such as nuts and cheese.

Not eating nuts, or much cheese.

Are you sure you are in ketosis? Did your strips turn color? These can be inaccurate as too much protein can also change the color. Do you have the bad breath and "stinky" urine of ketosis?

Not sure. Don't have the strips, some days I can "smell" ketosis, others not.

Are you taking any medications? no

Are you taking your vitamins? Or supplements? no

Have you checked to see if you have a yeast problem? (This is more than a female yeast infection…it is a body wide and affects men too...it is called Candidas)

no I haven't checked, but I doubt it. If I do I got it since last month and that isn't likely.

Have you had your thyroid tested? TSH is NOT enough! You want to have TSH, T3, T4, FT3, and FT4 tested.

Had TSH tested a few years ago, was in normal range. Haven't had the other things tested, but I have found (it seems to me) that my body adjusts to Atkins style eating after a short time and while it loses rapidly at first, then slows to a crawl later. (efficient little thing isn't it?)

Have you had a physical to rule out any “outside” problems?

No

Are you on any medications? What about birth control? No

ARE you ABSOLUTELY sure that you are not eating ANYTHING you are not supposed to? One little slice of bread…a bite of cookie, a lick of frosting, one M&M?????? Nothing like that. Low carb goodys only.

Do you use too much artificial sweetener? Probably some days.

Do you know if you are sensitive to sodium/salt? Could you be retaining water at all?

No not retaining water. (I can tell when I have had too much salt, but haven't lately).

Are you close to your period/TOM?

No more TOM

Have you removed all food items containing nitrates?

???? What contains nitrates?

Are you in menopause or peri?

IN menopause? When are you IN Menopause? I stopped having periods sometime last year.

Are you depressed or unusually stressed?

No (other than some depression that the scale won't move LOL).

Do you get enough sleep? Yes

Have you kept a diary or log of EVERY single thing you have eaten?

No, but I could list yesterday's intake fairly easily.

Have you tried giving up dairy?

????????? Giving it up? Why? All sources I have heard of say you tend to lose MORE weight if you have some dairy every day. Anyway I had no dairy yesterday. (and usually have very little).

Have you cut out nuts? Do you HONESTLY know what a portion of nuts looks like?

I never eat nuts.

Have you been over eating meat? A 3 oz portion of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.

I've been mainly eating meat. Sausage (2) for breakfast yesterday, some ham just before work, (Not much) a steak for dinner along with green beans and salad with salad dressing.

Have you tried lowering your calories? I think calories may be TOO low and that may be the problem.

Have you tried lowering your fat intake?

LOWERING IT? Why? Atkins indicates that you burn more fat if you eat more fat. I've increased it at times and lost the next day. Anyway my fat levels aren't that high.

How many times have you dieted in your life? In the last few years? Some people believe your metabolism gets altered by this.

Have done Atkins several times since 2000.

Are you overeating? Is it possible that you are eating until you feel stuffed rather than stopping when you are no longer hungry?

If anything I'm not eating when I am hungry. I'm never stuffed.

HAVE YOU BEEN COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOURSELF???????

Yes. The only thing I think could possibly be the problem is perhaps too many sugar alcohols. Low carb treats. I have low carb chocolate, I have some low carb pudding in fridge that I eat once in awhile. I have low carb ice cream, but I only eat a little of it.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #6  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

awesome! Glad you figure it out, all those snacks and extra little bites of things will most certainly stall anyone doing Atkins.
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

What have you changed from last month to this month? Increased the amount of sugar alcohol that you've eaten? Try NOT eating any and see what happens. Or shake things up and have a handful of nuts. How's the water?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #8  

Sherry - I had 2 things happen before.. I cut out the dairy and the scale started to move, but then it stopped again. Then after talking with you all here about the Atkin's bars (and other low-carb snacks) and the sugar alcohol contained in them, I cut 'em out. The scale has steadily moved since then.

That would be my first guess is the SA's from your snacks. Give it a shot.. it can't hurt (well except your sweet tooth) and after so many days see what happens.

AND if you haven't had a period since last year you might be in menopause. You can be tested I believe, but it's pretty much obvious. And weren't you starting to have a few hot flashes??

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote