Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default A question for our cooks....

What is your fav boullion soup base mix that you use.

I have always had my mom mail me oxo from Canada....but it was bought out by knorr. I can get knorr here, but I dont particularly like it.

So....I need some new stuff that's GOOD.

What do you use?

OH!! One more question.....can we not get lard in the states????? I cant find that stuff anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong sections? Even the clerks look at me funny when I ask for lard. Cant get Tenderflake here...another product that doesnt mail well
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #2  
TemporaryFatChick

You should be able to get lard in the baking aisle, if not, ask the butcher at the store. I haven't been able to find Tenderflake shortening since I moved to TN I buy Smart & Final Iris' Store brand soup base (bullion), it's the best I've tasted so far.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

Smart & Final Iris' Store Brand....the store name is Iris's? I dont have one of them here

Stuff you would think that should be in the baking aisle......isnt! I really dont know how they figure stuff here sometimes. When you want yeast....dont you think you would find that next to the flour??? in the baking aisle! Nope...not in Buffalo. Same with marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs. If you ever see a crazed woman in Wegmans.....its me!!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

For Soup we use Orrington Farms. YUMMY! Especially in venison soup. DELICIOUS! (Dang, now I know what I'm having DH make before 1/2/06!! ) It has potatoes so I don't eat it often. But I miss soup!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #5  
Lovin' Life

Thanks Brenda, I'll look for it!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #6  
on my way down again

Robin, My mom made some nice things that called for lard. The small local bakery had an extra special kind, and the owner would sell it to her.

I used to get a bakers catalog that sold a good quality of lard, but I can't remember the name, darn it, but they sold King Arthur's flour.
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

I get a bakers catalogue that sells King Arthur flour too....I never thought to check in there! Thanks Sonnet!!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #8  
Egy Kis Lany

Surely Wegman's has it!

It's only the BEST GROCERY STORE in the whole world! (I was able to go there twice and fell in love... *sigh*)
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

You'd think!! there are alot of things Wegmans doesnt have....but Im looking for things that I got in Canada, and trying to find the comparative product here is proving to be difficult. You know when you're used to something, and how it works and tastes in your cooking? And thats all you really want?

What I miss the absolute MOST is philly cream cheese dill pickle chip dip!! I'd be filling up my celery with it daily!!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #10  
Baby Steps

Robin, What the HECK is philly cream cheese dill pickle dip??
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

OMG Brenda, its phillidelphia cream cheese chip dip....flavoured with LOTS of dill pickle!! I dont know how far you are from a canadian border....but make sure you put this on your list when you get there!!

When I first moved here, I took dh to the grocery store, and I told him what I wanted...ok, we are staring at all the chip dips, see the philly spreads for bagles and what not....but no chip dip. I was sooooo dissappointed!! Its what my mom always picks up for me when I go visit That and the dill pickle peanuts (honest) You can get the dill pickle chips here now...but its just not the same
Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #12  
Egy Kis Lany

I think that my favorite thing about Canada was the poutine.

But I never really went into grocery stores there, just the occasional hop across the border (I went a few years of high school in northern maine, about a mile from the border...)
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #13  
Lovin' Life

Oh, I miss those too You can get them with the works....(ground beef, green peppers, sour cream and cheese) Hey, you could low carb them by taking out the fries
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Isn't Crisco (in the baking section) considered lard ?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie
Isn't Crisco (in the baking section) considered lard ?
Never mind, its shortening made of veggy oil.

I think you need to get pork fat and render it down to get lard. I don't know any place that sells it either BUT!!! I was watching Emeril the other day and he was cooking with a slab of it. Wonder if you look on the cooking network if they would have that info on where to get it.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote