Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Low carb holiday dessert

I'm not a low carber myself, but one of the twelve people in our office is. He's mostly following Atkins for a couple of years now, though he does eat a few more carbs than normal Atkins, I imagine. I've seen him sneak a couple of goldfish crackers, though only a few (I can't believe the willpower!), for example.

But he definitely doesn't eat most cakes, pies, and things like that. We're getting ready to have our holiday party, which isn't a lunch or dinner, but afternoon snacks. Now, the non-sweets I'm fine with. I'm going to suggest the woman coordinating it get some shrimp (though I have no idea if there's a good low-carb dip for it), and cheese with the fruit tray. I think she's getting chips and dips, or nachos or something too, but he can just skip those, I don't think he's fond of 'artificial foods' too much.

What I'm not sure about is dessert. In the past, when we have cake he just doesn't have anything. So I was wondering if there was a simple low-carb dessert I could make that has a small number of servings. I was thinking a low-carb cheecake, but I don't think he likes 'heavy' foods.

Any suggestions? I'm not much of a cook. And we don't have an oven at work where the party is, but we do have a microwave and a very poor toaster oven.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #2  
TemporaryFatChick

You are such a doll!! I wish you worked in my office

I made a Pumpkin Cheesecake to take for my office party, and no one had a clue it was sugar free. Don't be intimidated, it couldn't be easier to make!

EDITED TO ADD: This cheesecake is rich rather than sweet, one friend that makes it uses the syrup and adds three packets of splenda so it's got some sweetness to it.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 cup Divinci sugar free syrup (any flavor, find it at Walmart w/coffee stuff) If you don't want to use syrup, use 1 c. splenda pourable
15 ounces pumpkin
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs -- room temperature

Blend cream cheese with the syrup or splenda until creamy... add the rest of the ingredients except the eggs together well... Add eggs, one at a time and stir by hand until just blended. Pour into a spring form pan that's been sprayed with PAM

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Run a knife around the outside edge of the pan to loosen the cheese cake from the sides and cover with a tea towel, to keep it from cracking. Let cool completely. After it cools refrigerate the cheesecake overnight. This is a dessert that gets better as it sits, I usually make it two days ahead.

Per Serving: 148 Calories; 13g Fat; 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium.

if not that one, try this one...

Easy Lemon Pie

9" pie pan

FILLING:
1 small Cook N Serve Sugar Free vanilla pudding
1 small Sugar Free Lemon Jell-O
3/4 cups of water
3/4 cups half & half
6 oz cream cheese

Crust
1.5 cups finely chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans (almost powder, but not paste)
3 tbsp butter, softened
3 tbsp Splenda (must be Splenda, no substututes)
Mix ingredients together, press into the pie pan and bake @ 350 until browned a bit; 6-8 minutes.

In a saucepan: mix pudding, jello, water, half & half well, with a whisk; bring to boil. Remove from heat, add cream cheese and whisk together while it melts. Pour into crust and refrigerate until set.

Last edited by Tennessee; 12-07-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #3  

Those sound sooooo good! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

Oh YUMMY!!! I need to print these out Thank you
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #5  
TemporaryFatChick

The cheesecake is really good. I made it with hazelnut Divinci's, and it was excellent but overpowered the pumpkin flavor - people told me how much they liked the hazelnut cheesecake LOL. I'm making another one at Christmas and will use either eggnog or vanilla Divinci's instead. I want to make another one right now, but 4 carbs per piece can be dangerous when you eat 1/2 of it one day LOL
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

I know where to get banana and chocolate davinci's but haven't seen an eggnog one. THAT would be great for adding to half and half (it's what I use when I NEED something hot and chocolate. Just heat half and half, add a couple drops of chocolate davinci's, take a whisk to it and YUMMY!!)
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Hrm. Both those sound like good possibilities!

I think I'll ask the guy tomorrow if he likes pumpkin or lemon, because if he doesn't like either, I'll just skip it. Otherwise I'll give it a try, probably the pumpkin one, making it on Saturday to bring in on Monday.

Is there any sort of frozen topping for the cheese cake, or is it fine just plain? I suppose homemade whipped cream but that might be a bit ambitious for me, I don't have egg beaters or anything.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #8  
TemporaryFatChick

Cool Whip and all that stuff have carbs - probably more than the cheesecake!