Old 06-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #1  

Default Feeling very weak...

Hello all! I'm a newbie here and have been doing Atkins for about a week now. Or rather have been easing in to Atkins. I have drastically cut down on the carbs, but haven't quite gotten down to 20 per day for the true induction. I'm beginning induction today. My question is, if low-carb eating/Atkins is supposed to give you more energy, why do I feel so weak? My arm and leg muscles just feel so fatigued. Walking up a flight of stairs now makes my leg muscles tired! Its not as if I'm not getting enough to eat - I eat plenty of protien, etc. plus I'm taking my vitamin. Has anyone had any similar experiences or have any suggestions/answers? All would be appreciated! Thanks everyone and have a great day!
SkinnyAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

I'm guessing that the reason you feel weak is you haven't gone completely into induction so you're still trying to fight off bad-carb cravings. Your body hasn't adjusted to burning fat so it's still burning the other carbs you're eating. And most everyone goes through this and it can range from 3 days to a couple weeks that you go through this. Tough it out and keep up the good work!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Yes this has happened to me too....even my arms get too weak to wash my hair. Go figure! Like Brenda said, its your body making the switch....it might take a few days, but you'll have the energy boost soon enough. If its bothering you too much, pick up some potassium supplements and take those for a while until things have switched over.

Good Luck to you, sounds like things are moving in the right direction.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies! Robin, its funny you mentioned about your arms being too weak to wash your hair - that's exactly what happened to me this morning! My husband thought I was crazy! Also, thanks for the tip about the potassium supplements - I'll get some tomorrow!
SkinnyAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #5  
Rabid Claymate

My dad did Adkins and lost ALOT of weight...then had a heart attack. I don't suggest Adkins. You really need your carbs.
OperationSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Disclosure: I don't do Atkins, I do a low glycemic eating plan (started with Sugar Busters) similiar to Phase II and III of South Beach. So maybe I should not post here as I have no intention of discussing the merits of anybody's diet choices but I did want to disclose where my response is coming from. It's just that if you are feeling so weak on ANY diet that you don't have the energy to wash your hair or walk up a flight of stairs, you really need to evaluate whether this is the right plan for you and you really need to see your doctor and have her or him evaluate whether it's the diet plan or whether something else is going on. Good luck.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

all right, well.......there are alot of opinions out there about atkins, and the side effects. Side effects in the beginning being withdrawals from all the crap we have been eating.

Aside from all that...are you eating your veggies? healthy protein? drinking your water? Are you eating the full 20grams of carbs? If you are doing it right, and following the book, and making healthy choices...there is NOTHING wrong with Atkins.

Problems arise when people eat all the butter, bacon, and cheese they want! Obviously those ppl didnt read the book, and are pretty much doing what they think to be Atkins.

So....do what feels right for you. Do what works for you. Im sure if we looked hard enough there would be a person or 2 that lost alot of weight on weight watchers, and then had a heart attack, or any other plan for that matter. Collect your info, and make your own decision.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you Robin. There is no scientific evidence that a low carb diet is bad for you. All of the medical studies done so far have shown that it is just as effective for weight loss as a low fat diet and does not mess up your cholesterol profile. If anyone wants the references, just ask.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

You know...I agree that we need our carbs. That's why we get it in the form of veggies and fruits. Not sugars and starches.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

All I have to say is I never felt better physically than when I was following atkins 100%. I didn't get sick and my joints felt good (I have arthritis and DDD).

If your feeling tired, don't worry, just keep taking your vitamins, eat clean and in no time your energy level will soar. I think it took me a few months and then POOF !!!

HUGS !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote