Old 06-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Question Spaghetti Squash?

Hello---

I browsed around your recipes trying to find a recipe to use spaghetti squash (I've never tried it before) but I couldn't find one. I've read that some of you have made it before.

Could you tell me how you prepared it? I would greatly appreciate it. Or if it is in the recipe section...could you direct me to where it is?

Thanks!!

Marti
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

This is what I do,

Get a spag squash and cut it in half long way, scoop out the pits & icky stuff. Put it on a cookie sheet upside down and cook at 350 for about an hour, poke a fork in it to see if its soft. Then take it out and let it cool, then take a fork and scrape the squash out, you'll see it comes out like strings of spaghetti.

I usually put it in the refrig w/out a cover over night and eat it the next day, this way it will dry out a bit because it can be watery/gluey kinda, you'll see.

OR

You can scoop it out while its warm and add your butter, or sauce what ever you like. Depends on what your going to do w/it.

I prefer it the next day.

ENJOY!!!

Make sure you have a heavy duty knife b/c they are soooooooo hard to cut, be careful okay.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #3  

Thank you Leenie!!

I wasn't sure what I would do with it. I just heard great stuff about it and thought I would try it. My husband and I usually get the acorn squash----love that stuff!!

Thanks again!!

Marti
Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

it is good, I love it and can eat ALOT w/just a tad of butter and salt. yummmmie. The only way to learn is by experimenting, so give it a whirl.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #5  
Head Princess

Hey, Marti! Long time no talk!

I cook my spaghetti squash in the microwave. Just pierce the skin several times with a fork, and then nuke on high for at least 5 minutes. When the skin has softened slightly, it's nuked enough. Take it out and let it sit for about 5 more minutes. then cut in half (I cut the opposite way from Leenie for longer strands). Scoop out the seeds and then use a fork to take out the "spaghetti"

I have a recipe for something called Oh **** Yeah under side dishes. It's fantastic if you're a fan of garlic. I also make marinara sauce with italian sausage in it and eat it like normal spaghetti. Or butter and parmesean. Or chilled and tossed with some italian dressing. Lots of possibilites! Good luck!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #6  

OMG Star....the possibilities!!!

Under side dishes? I'm going to have to check it out. It's still sitting on the counter!! Been too hot to run the oven! How's the weather in Portland??

Thank You for the idea's....I just may have it tonight!

Marti
Old 06-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Oh, Marti! I am loving this weather! It's been cracking me up that when everyone else is dying of heat, I'm all nice and warm. I tell them that I've been freezing my tail off for the last 8 months. It's nice to be warm. Of course, I also don't think I've adjusted to the drastic reduction of 'insulation' either!

I've become a spaghetti squash addict! I made up my own version of alfredo sauce last week and threw in some shrimp and spinach then dumped all that on a pile of spaghetti squash. Yummy! Shrimp scampi tossed with spaghetti squash is really good, too. Or pesto. Uh oh! Now I'm hungry!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #8  

The weather is fantastic!!

I will have to try those out. Sounds so good!! And the microwave will be a big help.....Pesto is one of my favs!!!! So I think I'm going to have to explore now!!

Thanks for all your help!