Old 05-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #1  
Look at me go ;)

Question Shimma and Jina (jdogg)

I was reading your guys's posts about how much you spend on food per week. I noticed that Jina you said you only spend about 150 per month, and Shimma you said you spent about 35 bucks a week.

How do you manage to spend so little??

I try to buy the vegetables that will go the farthest ( i.e. huge heads of lettuce etc..) and only the meat that is on sale but I still manage to rack up about 100 bucks a week.

Just curious, I could use a few grocery saving tips!
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #2  
Total Sass Bucket

1. frozen veggies are usually cheaper than fresh ones
2. I go to a store that GREATLY discounts it's meat when it gets to be the day before they MUST sell it. So, I pay attention to that kind of thing. Obviously they're not going to have any of that on the weekend when people do most of their shopping so I go Weds or thurs night.
3. Buy in bulk and freeze it!
4. As soon as I became a teacher I realized I would have to budget budget budget. I haven't had high quality anything in a loooong time.... thus I tend to buy cheaper stuff rather than the name brand things.
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #3  
Movin' and Losin'

Shimma has great ideas, and I do a lot of similar things.

(1). Shop at a discount grocer. I go to Save-A-Lot. In Kansas, it was Aldi. They might not be the nicest looking stores, but they have incredible deals.
(2). I don't hardly ever buy anything that is name brand -- everything is generic. One major exception: Dannon Low-Carb Yogurt. That stuff is so tasty!
(3). For meat, I buy large bags of frozen chicken breasts, thighs and legs. I buy roaster chickens, which last for several meals. Summer sausage is a good option for me. I cut off three slices for lunch, along with some cheese and a tomato, it makes a filling lunch. Summer sausage is cheap and lasts a LONG time. I don't buy steak. I occassionally buy frozen fish filets.
(4). Shimma's right -- frozen vegetables are cheap, especially collard greens, if you like those.
(5). Buy bricks of cheese -- not already shredded or sliced. It's cheaper.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I do the same, I buy what ever meats are on sale that week, also veggies (frozen). Now that its almost summer time, fresh veggies will be pretty cheap. The only thing thats expensive to me but I gotta have it is Grape Tomatoes, for a tiny pint its almost $2 (but they go far).

I did get Z-carb bars (a few) for DH last saturday at walmart, they area 0.96 cents each compaired to the other stores $1.50 - 1.99 each OY!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #5  
Look at me go ;)

I love the roaster chicken idea Jina! Good one. I only shop at walmart (except for beef) and since I love their generic brand that is pretty much the only one I buy. I also buy frozen stir fry veggies and spinach but everything else is fresh. I don't think frozen salad mix or mushrooms are very good. Most meats I buy are on sale and I will go to however many stores it takes to get the best deal on beef. I don't care for walmarts hamburger so that I won't buy. I don't eat much seafood either. It's too expensive and I'm not a fish person. Sometimes I will buy the cheap imitation crab or little salad shrimp but that's about it.

Unfortunatly the discount grocerers here (Food 4 Less) are nasty. They serve the lowest grade meat allowed and the produce is covered in flies and stuff. They are only good for canned/boxed/dry items which I don't have to worry about anymore. Walmart is just fine for me. I will buy what I can't find there at a regular grocery store if I really want it.

Thanks again for the tips.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

There are just SOME things I refuse to buy generic of. No matter if it is a better value. The taste is just NOT comparable. Then again...I'm not eating it anymore so why am I still paying full price?? ok. the last time we went shopping....we spent $80 in one grocery store and $130 in another (we ONLY went in for my walden farms salad dressing!!!). That's a 2 week expense. Not counting the occassional trips for milk, bread, incidentals like that.
Danged if it doesn't cost MORE to eat healthier. Go figure!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote