Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #1  

Default Newbie here with some questions!!

Hi - I'm fairly new to the Atkins or Lo Carb way of life- today is day 17..I have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with:

1. All-in-One dexatrim bar...1g net carb - anyone try yet (they are good)? I assume it's ok to have these on Induction?

2. Someone mentioned (I've been reading the posts for several weeks) about go ahead and chew gum...ORBIT is lowest so far. I did find that Trident has less than 1g carbs - you think it's ok to chew either one?

3. How about celery and peanut butter? Without the PB jar in front of me I'm not sure of the carbs but it sure sounds like a nice change for a snack! Think it's ok to eat yet (trying to incorporate other lo-carb foods now that I'm past the 1st 14 days of Induction).

4. Are we supposed to take "days off"? I talk w/others who hear I'm doing lo-carbs and they say "have you had your day off yet" and I"m not sure what they mean?!

5. I am still fatigued after 2 weeks of lo carbing. From what I've read the fatigue should have only lasted a couple of days and then that burst of energy was to kick in and I have yet to get kicked by it...anything I should look at (supplements or my food intake, etc)?

6. I read that alot of lo-carbers are using DAVINCI syrups and also SPAG SQUASH...#1 where do I find the syrups and #2 anyone else out there using the spag squash and care to share (is it good - can you use as a substitute for pasta)?

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any answers/advice you can share - I look forward to checking back here to see what y'all come up with! T H A N K S
Tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:48 AM   #2  

I do occassionally take a day off on purpose. For me, it seems to jumpstart me again. I only do this if I stall for a couple of weeks. Others say never . I have more days I unintentionally blow it than just don't care.

Spagetti squash, just tried it a few days ago and to my suprise, I love the stuff! You can do anything with it that you use pasta for.

Don't know about the rest of your questions, but there are others here who will. Good luck!
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:52 AM   #3  
Total Sass Bucket

Dexatrim bars have a TON of sugar alcohols.... I would stay away from them. They stalled my sister BIG TIME> If you're confused about the sugar alcohol thing, there is a thread here that talks about them.

I chew gum occasionally, as long as you're willing to sacrifice the 1 carb for the piece, I see nothing wrong with it. I also have a tendancy to chomp on a mint or two.
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:30 AM   #4  

Tahoe: Welcome

Check out our frequently asked questions thread!

1. Dexatrim bars whether low carb or not are technically not allowed during induction.

2. Don't know about the gum.....I use tic tacs.....I guess ok.

3. Peanut Butter has about 5 net grams in a tbs. The low carb Skippy has something like 4 I think I remember. Not much of a difference. I couldn't eat just 1 tbs. As long as you are past the 14 days I say if you got the carbs go for it.

4. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a day off on Atkins. We all take one once in a while but we shouldn't. It definitely slows things down.

5. I've never gotten that burst of energy that people talk about. Some do, some don't

6. I tried the Davinci syrups once.....they were ok. Not a coffee drinker and that is what a lot of the girls use it with. The spagetti squash .......I just tried it for the first time myself. Very good. Still high compaired to other veggies but worth it if you are dying for something like spagetti.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote