Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 04:13 AM   #1  
Pure Energy

Exclamation Please help with induction!!

Saturday was my first day of Atkins. The first day of Induction. I did fine, if anything I didn't eat enough. What I'm not sure about is if you are supposed to count every little carb for every little thing. If so, the book says you can have so many cups of salad greens. How in the world do you count that? Also, my husband is big on cereal so after induction he wants cereal but you can't have milk so I was curious what you eat on the Atkins cereal? Thanks so much for you're help. I want to succeed so bad on this that it almost hurts. I've done all the other plans for years and I'm ready to be a success story.

Thanks.
Jamie
Old 11-02-2003, 02:59 PM   #2  
reaching my goals

Jamlinrich, see the new thread I just posted called "Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage." It's pretty good. I miss milk terribly but think this product will fill the bill.
I buy the salad in a bag. The only way I can measure my salad si to go ahead and divide it out by servings to equal what he suggests.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Jamie....go to www.fitday.com and get yourself a free account. You can enter all foods there - including measurements/ounces and track what you're eating. You should definitely be counting all carbs including eggs, cheese, cream and veggies, etc.

It's not supremely exact as fitday rounds up and down depending on carb count, but it is helpful to try and get to the right ratios for optimal weight loss (65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs).

As for cereal....no Atkins cereal in Canada so not sure about that....you can have/make your own flaxmeal cereal which is low in carbs due to hi fibre - this is a hot cereal tho and is very yummy with some splenda and cream...or any other flavorings you like!

Froufie
Old 11-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #4  
Head Princess

Hi Jamie - during the first 2 weeks, be sure to stick to you list of allowed foods. Even if they are low carb, there's something about staying faithfully in line with that list that does wonders for jump starting your weight loss and getting your body to switch gears faster.

I don't know about the cereals either. My standard breakfast is string cheese and decaf Weekends are bacon, sausage, or eggs. Be warned, your tastes will change! The things I liked before, I don't want anymore and the things I didn't care for, I find myself liking more and more.

For the salad thing, I read labels constantly. For everything. It's good to educate yourself on how many carbs are in what so when you're eating out or at someone's house, you can guess pretty well how many carbs you're consuming based on the ingredients. (oh, and romaine lettuce has the lowest carb count for lettuce and spinach is incredibly low, too)
Old 11-03-2003, 01:10 PM   #5  
Pure Energy

Thanks Star! It's hard to get used to counting even the lettuce when you're used to a lifetime of diets where veggies are free. I read several of your posts last night suggesting being strict to the approved foods list and I will do that. Your words of wisdom are totally appreciated. Keep em coming.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #6  
Head Princess

Oh Jamie - you've done it now!!!! I live to give advice!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #7  
on my way down again

Hi Jamie, I'm new here, but I've been on the Atkin's Diet for 3 years, 4 months and have lost 65 pounds. It's the best diet I've ever been on, and I've tried diets for 30 years since I was 15. I always said my "bread thermostat" didn't work and nobody listened. Then I stumbled across The Atkins Diet and sure enough, I have a carb problem. I've gained 20 pounds back and I'm starting back on the Induction Diet tomorrow. We went shopping today, and we're ready. My husband has lost 75 pounds! Leave it to the guys to do better. HAHAHA So I'll be rereading my Atkins book all this week to get back on track. I've added way too many carbs to my day, but I've never left the Atkins diet for more than a couple of weeks due to various reasons. I jump right back on it. I have confidence we can all do this. I know you will have great success this time! Congratulations! Barbie

BTW My husband saw a new low carb milk at the health food store yesterday. The store owner said it was very good. I'll have to find out the name.

Last edited by Barbie101; 11-05-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #8  
Pure Energy

Thanks Barbie! I won't even say good luck because that implies that we don't have control and we do have control so you and your husband go kick butt. Glad to have you supporting me. Together we can do it!
Closed Thread