Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #1  

Default Hi everyone

I am in my second week of Atkins and doing great. I was a little disappointed that I only lost 4 pounds on my first week but I am anticipating another 4 this week and that will be GREAT!
I used to do Weight Watchers and each week I would go get weighed and would be either up 1 or down .5. It was too much of a roller coaster for me. When I was disappointed with my 4 pound loss last week I had to remind myself that if I was doing Weight Watchers I would have been THRILLED with 1 pound never mind 4.

Anyway, I have been doing great but have a few questions for everyone.
1. I was a bit nauseaus last week and think it was the diet. Is that a normal side effect? It seems to have gone away this week a little.
2. I'm embarrassed to ask but does anyone experience any bowel problems on this plan? If so any tricks for combating it?
3. I have the La Tortilla Factory tortillas but am waiting until after my first two weeks to use them. Does anyone else use them for sandwiches etc and do you think it hinders your weight loss in any way?
4. How about wine? What is the skinny on Atkins and wine? I haven't been having any in the last 2 weeks...just a glass or two on the weekend but staying away from it during the week. But I would sure love to go back to enjoying one once in a while!

I am glad we have our own place to chat!
Can't wait to get to know everyone.

Jane
Old 09-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Jane !!!

WOW 4 lbs your first week, thats teriffic lady, you really should be proud of your efforts.

I also tried weight watchers a few times, okay more like 5 times lol. Weight watchers is an excellent diet and i'd highly recommend it to people but it didn't seem to matter what diet I was on, I couldn't control myself, w/atkins I feel more in control. Just knowing I can't have something (like cake) helps me like you wouldn't believe rather then being able to have a small portion. I could never figure out what a small portion or portion was, guess thats why I am at the weight I am haaaaaaaa

I don't know if I can help you with your questions but I'll try, the only thing I have to go on is experience and remember everyone is different.

BUT !! If I may please suggest that you go to FITDAY.COM get a free account and log in every thing you eat. This is the only way I can keep track of my carbs as well as calories. Its a fantastic weight loss tool.

Your Questions:

1. I was a bit nauseaus last week and think it was the diet. Is that a normal side effect? It seems to have gone away this week a little.

A. Yes, I did experience it in the beginning, I think its just the body adjusting to everything. It must have gone away quick for me because I don't remember it bothering me much.

2. I'm embarrassed to ask but does anyone experience any bowel problems on this plan? If so any tricks for combating it?

A. What kind of problems - constipation or diarrhea ? I had problems with constipation. I took a teaspoon full of Konsil fiber every day and it worked like a charm (you can even take it 2 x a day in the beginning just to get you started). For the past month I haven't had any problems w/bm's and I haven't been taking the Konsil.

3. I have the La Tortilla Factory tortillas but am waiting until after my first two weeks to use them. Does anyone else use them for sandwiches etc and do you think it hinders your weight loss in any way?

A. Ohhhhhhh that sounds great !! The only thing I can suggest is try it. If you see a weight stall then cut back. Just count the carbs and for me I have to count carbs as well as calories.

Please remember, you probably will not lose 4 lbs a week after the induction. 1 - 2 lbs is normal. I'm always rooting for at least 1. I look at it like this. 1 lb a week x 52 weeks/year = 52 lbs. I'll take it !!

4. How about wine? What is the skinny on Atkins and wine? I haven't been having any in the last 2 weeks...just a glass or two on the weekend but staying away from it during the week. But I would sure love to go back to enjoying one once in a while!

A. I'm not a wine person so I couldn't help you there, maybe some one else can help ? Did you check out the atkins website on wine ? WWW.ATKINS.COM I'm sure it will tell you there.

I am glad we have our own place to chat!
Can't wait to get to know everyone.

ME TOO !!!!!

Hope this helps. Hugs, Leenie
Old 09-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #3  
thin within

jane, i too have probs with bm's on atkins. i've been on atkins for three weeks and have not had a movement in 16 days. i'm trying to figure out a solution...
Old 09-23-2003, 11:19 AM   #4  

Default Sad to say

Sad to say my problem goes the other way
I used to have IBS so maybe that is making a comeback and it has nothing to do with Atkins.

I just had my deviled egg! YUM I love that. I can't bear to make eggs in the morning so I have been making up a batch of deviled eggs each week. I make the yolk mixture and put it in a ziploc then keep the whites in another one. In the morning I just use the ziploc like a pastry bag and fill up a couple and go!

I have grilled chicken rolled up with a couple of slices of ham and provolone cheese with a sugar free homemade low carb cole slaw dressing. Tonight I haven't a clue what I am going to have....probably a salad of some kind. I am not a veggie eater so my 3 cups a day comes mostly from salads.

Can you start eating kidney beens after the induction? I am dying for some chili
Old 09-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #5  

Hey - for chili - just make it without beans or use mushrooms instead of the beans - they are very high in carbs, so watch them very closely.

My lunch is a bed of lettuce, spinach, green peppers, cucumbers, with Mexican cheese, turkey taco meat, salsa and some sour cream - 5 minutes to go - can't wait
Old 09-23-2003, 05:42 PM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Jane - I have the same problem as you on item #2. But I've been on the plan since July now and I am able to tell what foods go right through me. I just don't eat those when I have plans to go out. Eggs is one of the items that does it quickly to me. Start tracking what you are eating (fitday is great!) and you'll start to see a pattern. The first 3 weeks are so are a real cleansing as well!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Fullfig, you might want to check your fiber. I remember reading a few of your menus. They were ultra low carb, but there wasn't much fiber. Atkins plan calls for 3 cups of salad a day. I try to eat that, plus I have smoothies for breakfast that I add psyllium husk to. Between that and a sufficient amount of water, I am ok. If you haven't had a movement in 16 days, you should get started on this soon before you get impacted and have to have a doctors help!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 AM   #8  
thin within

thanks, jennifer. during the past week, i've had 3 to 4 cups of salad with dinner each night and drink right at a gallon of water a day. because i am living out of the country right now, i'm a little bit limited in what i can find. our tiny commissary carries few items. fibercon is all that i have found, which does not work for me. about five years ago, i was up to 12 a day. the docs told me to not take it, as it does not work for me. another american here told me that there is a tea here that works as a laxative, but can't remember the name of it. my turkish is limited and dictionaries only go so far when asking for help. i'll keep looking though. thanks again.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:44 AM   #9  

fullfig - I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but I find that if I eat spinach leaves instead of romaine lettuce it works like a charm for relieving constipation. I think there is more fiber in the spinach and I know there is more iron and minerals. It also has a different taste. I get tired of plain old romaine lettuce. Spinach with some Caesar dressing is yummy!

Karla
Old 09-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #10  
thin within

thanks, tippurr. i'll have to look for that.
Closed Thread