Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/179/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone feel like this before going low carb?

I've tried low carb before, strictly as a weight loss tool, and was never able to stick with it. Many, many years later, I think I need to go low carb for my health. I've noticed lately that when I eat what is normal for me (lots of sugar, lots of processed food, lots of carbs), that I get headaches, my heart races, and my blood pressure skyrockets. Anyone else feel like this and low carb really helped??

Thanks!
Amy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Have you looked into paleo? Maybe it would be closer to something you could live with forever?

Pretty much any diet at all will get you away from "Lots of sugar & processed food" I think the key is to find something that you think you'd find workable for life. One of the good things about paleo is that you can do it with various levels of carb restriction, and add in more carbs when your weight gets to where you want it. (You can do that on most low carb plans too).

What is making you think low carb is the best choice for your health?

I'm a committed low-carber because I feel best eating this way, I really enjoy the significant decrease in hunger cycles from eating very low carb, and I believe carbs contribute to many health conditions I either have or am at risk for. I do a primal version of low carb (paleo but with dairy).
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #3  

Hi Sarah! Thanks for the reply.

I really did think about choosing a more moderate approach, and maybe changing one meal at a time until I'm at an optimal level of carbs for me, but I decided to start with the Atkins induction instead. I think it would give me a clearer picture of just how bad I feel when I eat unlimited carbs.

I think low carb would be a better option for me because I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I never thought I was "insulin resistant" (and I'm still not quite sure what that means), but with the way I feel after I eat, I think it's something I really need to try. Since it's not all about the weight loss this time, I feel that I could commit to it a lot easier.

Your reasons for committing to low carb sound a lot like what I'm hoping for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahinparis View Post
I'm a committed low-carber because I feel best eating this way, I really enjoy the significant decrease in hunger cycles from eating very low carb, and I believe carbs contribute to many health conditions I either have or am at risk for. I do a primal version of low carb (paleo but with dairy).
Old 11-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Sounds like you may want to consider seeking the advice of a Dr.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Sounds like you may want to consider seeking the advice of a Dr.
Agreed! And so I have been. I actually work in a clinic with 8 doctors, so I'm covered, haha. I was just seeking advice/opinions here since there are a lot of experienced low carbers (such as you!).
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy37 View Post
I've tried low carb before, strictly as a weight loss tool, and was never able to stick with it. Many, many years later, I think I need to go low carb for my health. I've noticed lately that when I eat what is normal for me (lots of sugar, lots of processed food, lots of carbs), that I get headaches, my heart races, and my blood pressure skyrockets. Anyone else feel like this and low carb really helped??

Thanks!
While I am not a Dr. and don't think I am, I would venture to say your headaches, racing heart and skyrocketing blood pressure is the result of a what has most likely been a long term diet of excessive sugar, processed foods and carbs. When you try to do something such as Atkins Induction, your body goes through severe withdrawl, much like an alcoholic without alcohol. Your body is addicted to those evil foods and rebels when you try to eat low carb. I hope this makes sense.

I have been doing Atkins 10 and a half years but, my diet prior to Atkins was not healthy. That being said, I did not experience any of what you are describing.

Glad you are speaking with a Dr. and hope he/she will guide you in the right direction.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I started very low carb, Atkins induction, and have dabbled in variants of low carb, whole foods since then (I was eating mainly a whole foods diet before low carb).

I've done a few twists in the past year that had me in what you'll see refered to as "moderate" carb and I actually think it was much harder to live with. The biggest advantage of very low carb / ketosis-level for me is the dramatically reduced hunger. As soon as I moved carbs up closer to 50g a day, I lost that benefit so was fighting hunger a whole lot. It's one of the reasons I'm back to a more traditional low carb (still whole foods/primal) approach now.

If you do want to look into paleo, my recommendation is Chris Kresser's Your Personal Paleo Code because it's much less mumbo-jumbo and much more about each person's own needs.

Also, the small group here in the Atkins forum is very nice, come join us!

Last edited by sarahinparis; 11-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There are more than two ways to eat. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. My own diet is not technically low carb but I don't eat much refined sugar and I rarely eat breads or pasta. Frankly, any diet sounds better than the one you're following now which most would call the "Standard American Diet" or S.A.D.

Science tells us that even a 10% reduction in your weight will result in significant improvements in blood pressure, blood sugar levels and other health markers.

I agree you should see a doctor but don't expect to get any reasonable dietary advice. Most doctors are of little help in this area. You should get a full physical including blood work so you have a baseline to compare to in the future.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote