Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #91  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah the mediterranean diet generally refers to the Greek/Italian diet. France/Spain, although on the mediterranean, aren't included. And France's lower heart disease rates are usually attributed to wine drinking. But there are a lot of factors that go into heart disease, reservatol in wine is protective, DHA/EPA in fish is protective, exercise is protective, pythonutrients are protective, etc. And obviously their high level of gluten consumption doesn't hinder them.

I might have to give this one to Ian though I always hated fish but I've definitely tried to get in DHA/EPA supplements in the last few years. The common theme for the countries with lowest mortality rates all seem to be heavy fish consumers. Japan, South Korea, France, Spain, Portugal, Israel, etc. Again there are other factors there as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #92  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Larry I would like to get your help on understanding why you think a part of the problem is lack of nutrients. I've seen you post in several places that because people are consuming crap their bodies are not getting the nutrients they need.

To me this seems absurd because I've not seen research where this has been shown to be true and if it was true we would be able to help reduce hunger by taking a good multivitamin. I do not want to be directed to a blog post or article unless it references research done on humans because it is the research I am looking for. All I have ever seen on this subject are baseless speculation and usually by people who have something to sell (like Mercola.)

I'm truly hoping you can help me learn something new today on this topic.

By the way my skeptisism on the above issue should not be confused with the ongoing research on gut bacteria and how that affects our hormones. That is an entirely different issue and is quite fascinating.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote