Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #196  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Guess what I got at a yard sale yesterday? Wheat Belly and the Wheat Belly Cookbook, for $1 each. I've been eating wheat free since the first of the year, but I'm definitely interested in reading the author's insights into the importance of a wheat free diet.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #197  

Hi, all!

Welcome, Novus! What great finds!

I finally braved the scale and was relieved to discover that it is unchanged from before vacation. Yeah!!! Though I think some of my weight must have shifted slightly. I think I have a little bit more muffin, though my hubby says it's a little more belly, both of which should be remedied by eating cleaner.

patns, I had the same experience with Atkins. I lost 20 pounds more than 15 years ago on Atkins and gained it all back and more. (When I went to reintroduce wheat, because I had cut it out almost completely because of its carb count, I discovered that I have a wheat intolerance.) When I went on Atkins a second time, my body refused. My sister had the same experience with Atkins that I did.

(Yes, to any Atkiners who see this, Atkins has become healthier in the meantime and I know it isn't that far off from this, but I think I may have reacted to some of the artificial ingredients that used to be (or still are?) in some of the foods. Anyway, for whatever reason it didn't work at all for me the second time around.)
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #198  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Hey there. I was reading an article in Prevention about how gluten could explain brain fog, psoriasis, and some other things that ail me. So I checked out Wheat Belly from the library. I'm slowly reading it at work and it's really interesting. I think after a camping trip, I may try going gluten free to see if it might help. I don't like bread. My only "big" carb (that's not junk food) is pasta and couscous. I work nights and sometimes I'm so tired no matter how much sleep I get. If it's been the gluten all this time making me so tired no matter what, it'd be great.

Last edited by Daimere; 05-05-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Patz- i did IP in a clinic and solo! I was able to lose 60lbs on it on a short time, found out i was pregnant and quit. Ate the same way but with whole foods (long story short, loss the pregnancy) and gained all the weight i lost plus an extra 20 within 4 months. Went on it again lost 20 but had tests run and my hormones were so out of balance my doctor contacted the IP clinic and found out what was in the food etc and told me told me to stop ASAP. He was not impressed with the diet at all. So here i am on WB but have change my diet a bit more and eat 80% raw food diet 20% cooked which is normally some meat at dinner. Never felt better!

Dee- i think my emotions have finally balanced out! It was a roller-coaster for a few days! Happy news to stay the same after a vacation!!

I sprouted some quinoa this weekend! I had no idea it could be done! Added 3 tbs to a salad last night! It was SO good! Made a raw chili yesterday (bean and meat free) for lunch this week as my salad are starting to get boring!!!! Scale has stayed the same since mid week but im guessing its the clomid!

Daimere and novis- welcome!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
Patz- i did IP in a clinic and solo! I was able to lose 60lbs on it on a short time, found out i was pregnant and quit. Ate the same way but with whole foods (long story short, loss the pregnancy) and gained all the weight i lost plus an extra 20 within 4 months. Went on it again lost 20 but had tests run and my hormones were so out of balance my doctor contacted the IP clinic and found out what was in the food etc and told me told me to stop ASAP. He was not impressed with the diet at all. So here i am on WB but have change my diet a bit more and eat 80% raw food diet 20% cooked which is normally some meat at dinner. Never felt better!

Dee- i think my emotions have finally balanced out! It was a roller-coaster for a few days! Happy news to stay the same after a vacation!!

I sprouted some quinoa this weekend! I had no idea it could be done! Added 3 tbs to a salad last night! It was SO good! Made a raw chili yesterday (bean and meat free) for lunch this week as my salad are starting to get boring!!!! Scale has stayed the same since mid week but im guessing its the clomid!

Daimere and novis- welcome!
You are doing great!
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #201  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I think the thing I'm finding most enlightening so far is the impact certain gluten free products can have on weight loss because of how they impact insulin. I've done wheat free before and lost weight and felt great, but as soon as I added gluten free products into the diet, the weight loss stalled and I didn't feel nearly as healthy.

So I'm wondering if my issue isn't only wheat but other grains as well. I'm interested to experiment with bean and nut flours and see how my body reacts. My cousin works for a health food distributor and gave me 3 pounds of almonds so I'm going to make almond flour and bake something with it (possibly these muffins).
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #202  

Hi, all!

Welcome, Daimere!

Novus, in regard to your comment about other grains, I think they may have an impact. too, at least on me. I think part of it may be the insulin effect. I think in the case of oats, which used to be my fallback, there is often cross-contamination with gluten, unless you specifically find gluten free.

After my husband got on the scale this morning and told me that he had lost all 10 of the pounds that he had gained over vacation, I decided to brave the scale again. I'm down 3 pounds!!!!!! For me that is huge. I have not lost anything like that in this short of a period of time, (since Saturday). There were many months when I hadn't lost 1 pound, in spite of being gluten free and watching everything that went in my mouth.

This is my lowest weight in almost 8 years!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #203  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I don't have the major issues that a lot of people complain about. But I do have psoriasis, joint issues, and what not which is why I'm tempted to try wheat free for a while. The items on pages 233-237 are only regarding people that need to eliminate all trace elements of gluten? Obviously since I'm not caelic, I don't have to worry so much about deli meats, curry seasoning and what not that may have traces? I really like those items and was going to be sad not to have it!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #204  

Hi, Daimere,

I was surprised to discover I had a wheat intolerance. I initially noticed my sinuses got a little stuffier when I ate wheat, and that I had a little more gas. The last time I ate it, I felt a bit queasy. So I gave it up. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the knee I had injured playing tennis no longer hurt. I had been on Advil for months and after giving up wheat, the pain was gone within a week. Do I think I have celiac? I don't know. To discover whether you have celiac, you have to eat wheat or other gluten for a while to see if you have antibodies. I had been wheat free for a while before I learned that, so I can't be tested without first going back on wheat and gluten. I haven't bothered.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #205  

There is a Dr. Davis talk that is temporarily available at

http://7days7docs.com/welcome

It is only available for 24 hours.

How is everyone doing?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Hey Everyone! Hope you are all doing well! Sorry have not been around the last bit, been super busy packing and getting ready to move next month! No more 45 min drives to work!!!! Hit up the first farmers market of the year and got some amazing beets! They made the best salad ever!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #207  

Hi!

Billster, moving is always a hassle, but the shorter commute sounds great! I've only gotten into beets recently. I was surprised to find out how good they can be. I found some organic ones and threw them in my blender shakes. The shake color when mixed with greens and blueberries wasn't pretty though.

I've got a one pound creep up on the scale. Will have to be more vigilant.