Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Leptin Prescription accountability

Lately I've been dipping into the carbs on occasion. When I do that, I tend to overeat and cravings go through the roof! I feel really lethargic and unmotivated to workout, and the weight starts creeping back on. I've also had a couple injuries from poor form (losing focus and getting sloppy), and the injuries have resulted in some inflammation. I've gained 11 lbs in the last two weeks, up and down within that range (like 7 lbs overnight gains from water retention). I need to do something about this and get back on track!

One thing I want to do is clean up my diet, again. I found a Dr. Kruse online who talks about leptin resistance. Since his "cure" is all about the low carb, I thought I'd start a post in this forum to come to daily and record what I've eaten. I need accountability to help me stay on track.

My dietary goals for the next week:
  1. Keep daily calories under 1570 - that's 500 calories below RMR.
  2. Start my day with 50 - 70 gm protein.
  3. Keep total daily net carbs under 25 gm. (Daily carbs minus fiber).
  4. No between-meal snacking.
  5. Only three meals a day.
  6. No eating after 6:30 pm.
  7. Stay faithful to my vitamin supplement regimen.
My fitness goals for the next week:
  1. Only weight training and Pilates, and only in the afternoon/evenings.
  2. Proper warm-up and cool-down sequences, especially for hip flexors and shoulders.
Other goals that contribute to my success:
  1. Accountability (coming here and other support forums)
  2. Sleep hygiene (8 hours of sleep on a regular schedule)
  3. Staying on schedule
  4. Keeping my environment tidy
This sounds like such a boring life! But I have goals and there's still plenty of room for spontanity and fun. I don't need to find it in food.

I forgot to add this...starting weight for this little personal challenge: 305 lbs.
And I'm staying on this challenge/program for the next 12 weeks.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

Mixed bag of achievements today.

Breakfast: Chard, spinach, chicken breast and scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil. I did well, not needing to eat till 1:30 pm.

Lunch: Lean beef top sirloin and cabbage cooked in coconut oil. I enjoyed this meal, but felt hungry again within a couple hours.

Snack: raw almonds. How I dealt with the afternoon munchies. Always the most ravenous time of the day for me.

Dinner: 3 slices medium pizza and a glass of root beer. My boys ordered pizza and I caved to it!

Total calories: 2199
Total protein: 170 gm
Total fat: 115 gm
Total carbs: 128 gm
Total fiber: 18 gm

I took my vitamins. No exercise (It's my day off). Had a great night's sleep last night (8 hours).

Tomorrow, the goal is to work on cutting carbs even more. And need to work harder on limiting calories. I should count out my almonds and eat them from a small bowl, not handfuls straight from the bag. And the pizza delivery was unusual for us. Don't normally do that. More non-starchy vegetables. Less protein at breakfast.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night. Got to bed late, then winds blew open my front door and I didn't find out about it till 4 a.m. Then I just lay in bed worrying if the Boogey Man came in and when he was going to attack me! Stress not good for sleep!

Weight: 300.5 lbs.

Breakfast: Chard, top sirloin beef and an egg, all cooked in coconut oil, then a slice of Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread and an ounce of cheddar cheese. And I still felt noshy, so I had an Applegate Farm beef hot dog. Totally went too high on protein, but I didn't feel hunger again till 1:00 pm.

Lunch: Primal Fuel Dark Chocolate meal replacement shake, plus added psyllium husk. (Really need to add fiber.)

Dinner: Chicken breast, cheddar cheese, sourdough bread, mayonnaise, sweet potato, butter, raw almonds, 70% dark chocolate

Total calories: 2225
Total protein: 159 gm
Total fat: 200 gm
Total carbs: 118 gm
Total fiber: 35 gm

Happy to see a weight loss, but still eating too many calories. Now shooting for protein at around 110 gm. Definitely less than how much I ate today. I did manage to quit eating by 6:30, and I increased my fiber substantially. I think I'm controlling my hunger a little bit better, but not much.

Went to Pilates class in the morning. Felt great! Took all my vitamins.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-23-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

Only got 8 hours of sleep last night, but oddly, I'm feeling quite sleepy a couple hours after I woke up. I've got a soy sensitivity that affects me like this, but I don't know what I could have eaten that did this to me. It's food I've eaten in the past from which I didn't get a reaction.

Woke up after a disturbing dream about where my life is headed, or not headed at all. Grrrr! Has me in a funk already!

Weight: 299.5 lbs.

Breakfast: Chicken breast and salsa cooked with coconut oil, over a slice of Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread.

Lunch: Half-n-half in my coffee, lamb curry with sweet potatoes and peas

Dinner: The curry was so good I had to have it for dinner! Plus quesedillas with corn tortillas and cheese, and a couple oranges for dessert

Total calories: 2007
Total protein: 185 gm
Total fat: 79 gm
Total carbs: 134 gm
Total fiber: 26 gm

So, calories definitely down since yesterday (yeah!). Hope tomorrow I'll be able to achieve that! Protein up, fat way down, carbs up, fiber down...still have more tweaking to do on the diet. Done eating by 7 pm.

An hour of weight training. Felt so good! Forgot to take my vitamins. I'll take some before bed.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-24-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

Not sure what to do today. I have a wine and cheese event to attend tonight. I want to participate, but plan to only eat very tiny bits of cheese, just to taste. And a glass of wine. I estimate having about 300 calories of wine and cheese total.

Additionally, having problems losing more weight. Just weighed in at 300 lbs this morning. I want to cut more calories, but once I start eating, the struggle to limit calories returns. Still, I committed to trying this leptin reset thing, so I have to stick to my rules. Initially I was going to fast for the day till the wine and cheese.

So it's later in the day now. I fussed over so much stuff to do this morning that I barely had time to eat something before going to Pilates.

Breakfast: Applegate Farms Great Organic Beef Hot-dogs, and coffee with half and half

Lunch: Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough bread, red sockey salmon mixed with a little mayonnaise, raw almonds (took all my vitamins at lunch), Primal Fuel Dark Chocolate meal replacement shake, plus added psyllium husk

Dinner: Cauliflower with olive oil, chicken breast, cheese and wine

Total calories: 1945
Total protein: 141 gm
Total fat: 252 gm
Total carbs: 95 gm
Total fiber: 52 gm

Calories down a little more. Protein down a little. Carbs down and fiber way up! Oooops, fat too high! Well, it's what I get for adding so much exercise the last couple weeks. Done eating by 5:30 pm, but the wine and cheese are a bit later in the evening. Hope to get a full 8 hours of sleep tonight. Only slept 6.5 hours last night.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-25-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night. I think the wine I had disrupted my sleep cycle. Plus I was stressing over some work and family issues.

Scale said 297.5 this morning. I'm not sure why. I actually ate more cheese than I had anticipated I would last night, about 300 calories more. I was only in deficit (including exercise) by 152 calories. Personally, I think there's very little weight loss effect in exercise, or at least the amount of exercise that I do. It just builds more muscle on me and makes me hungrier! But I have been leaning out while remaining at the same weight.

I have increased my fiber appreciably and I've been taking magnesium and I'm still not having much BM. Like every third day. Very slow colon!?

Breakfast: hard cooked eggs and half-n-half in my coffee. Not as much protein as required by leptin scrip, but I just wasn't hungry.

Lunch: And I made up for it at lunch...lamb and lamb curry leftovers, sauteed spinach, popcorn with olive oil.

Dinner: half-n-half in another cup of coffee

Total calories: 1870
Total protein: 160 gm
Total fat: 102 gm
Total carbs: 70 gm
Total fiber: 15 gm

Well, I like the lower calories since I started, but I still didn't seem to be able to cut back on protein. Fats way down since yesterday! And look how low the carbs are! But not enough fiber.

No exercise today. Lack of sleep really messes with me and I don't exercise or get anything else done. Early to bed tonight!

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

Great night's sleep and I'm feeling a little more energy this morning. (7.5 hours) Weighed in a 296.5 lbs. (3.5 lbs till my lowest pre-holidaze weight)

Dressed for Pilates, kitchen dishes done, ready to start the day!

Breakfast: Can of Crowne Prince pole-caught yellowfin tuna packed in water (not processed with soybean oil), a little olive oil and Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread (I know it's not Paleo but it is higher in protein and most of the carbs in it are fiber. And I kinda need that right now!) Sauteed spinach too.

Kinda tired of eggs right now.

Lunch: chicken breast, brown rice medley, lamb curry (this is where I started going "off the reservation" on eating today)

Dinner: Appetizer medley and chocolate birthday cake with ice cream. And a margarita!

Total calories: 2948
Total protein: 166 gm
Total fat: 118 gm
Total carbs: 258 gm
Total fiber: 23 gm

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-28-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

Definitely not enough sleep last night, but I added an hour nap earlier in the day yesterday for a total of 7 hours. I think I'll take a little nap this afternoon.

So happy the scale is sweet to me today. 295 lbs. (2 lbs till my lowest pre-holidaze weight) I think I'll weigh in once more tomorrow morning and then put the scale away for the next 10 weeks while I'm really working out harder. Don't want to get disappointed by DOMS all the time.

But today is definitely a non-exercise day. I need a break!

Breakfast: Applegate hot dog, then cream in my Starbucks coffee and a bacon-gouda sandwich. Soy in it making me sleepy. And too many carbs!

Lunch: Very early lunch/snack of chard tart. I got hungry, I think because I had too many carbs in the morning. Kept wanting carbs throughout the day after that.

Dinner: Really got hungry early for dinner and made poor choices. More chard tart, turkey meatballs, dark chocolate, raw almonds. Wait, those choices don't sound poor. Except that I've overeaten fats! But protein intake looks great!

I had dinner rather early, hoped to quit eating then as well, but it's one of those insatiable appetite days, fed by the start of my intermittent period. Ate another 532 calories!!! Didn't really want to admit to it, but here it is.

Total calories: 3046
Total protein: 158 gm
Total fat: 396 gm
Total carbs: 227 gm
Total fiber: 17 gm

One really good accomplishment...sometimes I feel exhausted on the first day of my period. But this evening, I felt a burst of motivation fueling me and I was able to clean my whole bedroom. Trash tossed, papers filed, everything dusted and vacuumed, clean clothes put away, laundry started, sheets changed. Tomorrow I'll be free to finish the laundry and get all that put away and get some real work done on projects!

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-29-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

It was really nice to wake up to a clean bedroom. REALLY nice. But I guess it leads to an imbalance in the universe, because while my bedroom is now clean, my sons have wrought their evil boy scum on the rest of the house. Going to use me tremendous cramps and pissy menstrual mood to get them to clean the house. Must be used as a force for good!

So, as expected, up two pounds since yesterday...297. Stupid premenstrual carb cravings! And I'm exhausted too, just a couple hours after waking up. I'm going to be worthless for another day. Maybe I'll be too tired to eat!

As it turns out, not too tired to eat, but definitely too tired to cook properly. So that got my calories down since yesterday, and kept protein down lower and carbs closer to desired levels.

Breakfast: skipped it till later in the day.

Lunch: actually when I had breakfast...applewood smoked bacon and an egg, plus Julian sourdough bread

Mid afternoon snack: because I didn't have breakfast, I went sorta nuts...hot dogs and kimchi, cheese, almonds, some leftover chard tart

Dinner: snacking on dark chocolate and a few low-fat pita chips. Now I want an orange.

Total calories: 2391
Total protein: 100 gm
Total fat: 306 gm (yikes! I gotta lay off the hot dogs!)
Total carbs: 152 gm
Total fiber: 23 gm

I want to start skipping meals until I'm really hungry. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

House seems to be entirely in order, the laundry is all done, my bedroom is still clean, I'm getting work done...then why do I feel so awful! Like something bad is going to happen? That's called ADD Inattentive! I get such anxiety from accomplishment!

This morning I made a big pot of cabbage soup. I have to say, it is pretty darn delicious! I put a whole head of cabbage in it, an onion, garlic, and a few cups of tomato sauce I made at the end of the season last year that included peppers and carrots. Also added celery, kale and parsley. Cooked it all in some vegetable and chicken broth. Finished it with lemon juice. And after two big bowls full, I am quite farty! But still feeling hungry, so I cooked some chicken thighs. And I'm still feeling hungry! I don't understand. Plenty of volume from vegetables, plenty of protein, plenty of water...and still the gnawing feeling. I'm just going to wait it out for a couple hours and hopefully the food will hit my bloodstream soon and I'll start feeling more settled.

Breakfast: egg and egg whites with spinach and a little feta cheese, wrapped in a whole grain tortilla

Lunch: cabbage soup and chicken thighs. I was able to hold off eating again till dinner

Dinner: Subway turkey salad with avocado, Julian bread with cheddar, a few walnuts and an orange

Total calories: 2169
Total protein: 152 gm
Total fat: 124 gm (MUCH better than yesterday!)
Total carbs: 126 gm
Total fiber: 35 gm

I think I'm going to weigh less tomorrow because I'm feeling so cold tonight!

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-31-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

I made waffles for my boys this morning. I ate one. Not a good idea! Made me sleepy. It didn't help that I only slept 5.5 hours last night. Woke up at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep. And now I'm kinda blitzed on the carbs but have to work. More coffee please!

Breakfast: Yeasted whole wheat waffle, scrambled egg and egg whites cooked in ghee, Applegate Farms Canadian bacon, an orange.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #12  

Haven't heard from you in a couple days.
emmveepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #13  
Renaissance Woman

MVP! I really didn't think anybody else was following along. And I fell into an almond frangipane croissant which domino'd into a series of carb-related crimes. I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I didn't go over my RMR calories for two days, but I still gained weight.

So...getting back on the wagon. Actually, I'm going to stay as close to this Leptin Prescription thing as I can over the weekend, but am leaving room for a little indulgence. My birthday is Sunday and I'm going to do a bit of celebrating with my friends all weekend. Then on Monday, I'm going to be back here with a report.

Thank you, MVP. I appreciate the accountability.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #14  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm reading too. I keep thinking I should do a daily posting of my Whole 30 experience much like you're doing, but then I get lazy.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
MVP! I really didn't think anybody else was following along. And I fell into an almond frangipane croissant which domino'd into a series of carb-related crimes. I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I didn't go over my RMR calories for two days, but I still gained weight.

So...getting back on the wagon. Actually, I'm going to stay as close to this Leptin Prescription thing as I can over the weekend, but am leaving room for a little indulgence. My birthday is Sunday and I'm going to do a bit of celebrating with my friends all weekend. Then on Monday, I'm going to be back here with a report.

Thank you, MVP. I appreciate the accountability.
Nothing wrong with birthday cake, as long as you come back. Keep in mind, the first 2 weeks are the hardest!

I keep some atkins snack bars close by in case I feel like cheating - guilt free!
emmveepee is offline   Reply With Quote