Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Sweet...it will let me post again!

The smart remark was a test to see, I didnt think it would really post

Hello to new posters, and those coming back

alot of forums post about fermented foods and the benefits. I would eat kimchee every day but I dont like it without rice! lol a little saurkraut if good mixed into a salad, I have been trying to do that
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Sandy,
Just watched Fathead.....very funny and interesting.

Thank you CJZee for more info. I found alot of interesting things on that guys site. I need to find a good source around here for fermented foods. I bought some Zukay salad dressing at a food conference but it's hard to find here.

Have a good day all and Mikkie Joe, I'm glad you can post again!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Eeew... kimchee! My dad did a hardship tour (meaning by himself) in Korea during my senior year. I love Korean food (bol gogi -yum), but the smell of kimchee - yech. When my sister, mom, and I visited him my mom and dad would not stop eating the stuff -- I've just never gotten past the smell. However, I LOVE sauerkraut - go figure!

Violets - so sorry to hear about the thyroid issues - I am in the same boat, and it's SO DANG CONFUSING!! I had a really good dr. diagnose me and put me on a low dose of synthroid. Well, she quit (moved) and now I am stuck with my dolt of a GP - she took me off synthroid. I still think I need it but need to research the numbers and all that. Argh.

Anyway - food has been good this week, but tonight the cupboards are bare. No clue what I will be able to scrounge up for dinner, but I need to go look - I'm starving.

More later...
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #34  

Woohoo -- snow day!!!! And we haven't even seen a flake of snow yet! Good ole' Virginia!

So, I'm heading up to school to get a stack of essays to grade - I hope someone is there and the building is open. Then a quick trip to the store to get a few stapes in case we really do get snowed in.

I'm thinking of getting Molasses sugar cookie ingredients - I'm hosting book club at my house Monday night, and I just really want to make cookies. However, of course I'm worried I'll have no control whatsoever and eat TOO many. Is anyone else planning to do any holiday baking??

I ended up eating shredded sauteed cabbage with ground venison last night. I sauteed it in bacon fat with a little garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red peper, and tamari sauce. Yummy and very primal!

Have a great day girls!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Tis the season of cookies and candies in the secretaries kitchen I have been baaaad ... When I'm not at work I eat Primal but I get a lot of cravings because of the other things I am eating
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Ilene- I consider myself lucky to work in an office with only two other people. We don't have a kitchen, just a fridge and microwave, so no one can drop off baked goods and other crap and run away!
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi all! Well, yesterday I had my annual physical and also a routine gynecology appt. You may remember I have a "regular" doctor and an "alternative" doctor who is supposed to be helping me lower my cholesterol without use of statins. This appointment was with the regular doctor whom I like but is very traditional.

I've got to say, ladies, that this was the most weird appointment I've ever had because my "regular" doctor -- who has pretty much fought me every step of the way on what I'm doing (you're eating too much fat! go on a statin! more fruit! you can't sustain what you're doing! ) has now totally reversed himself. And he didn't even realize it, because -- of course -- he doesn't remember our conversations from one year to the next because he has so many patients. But I have only me, so I remember.

So .... here are the surprises:

1. He told me cutting back on carbs is good, we weren't made to eat so many carbs. He gave me the "paleo" story (although he didn't call it that) about how our ancestors ate things they could pick off a tree or pull from the ground and what they hunted. They didn't eat wheat or any grain that had to be modified, and it would be good if we all went back to eating how our ancestors ate! (Then he gave me the example of how he eats 6 pieces of pizza because of the carbs.)

2. He wanted to measure my Vitamin D level because many people are low. What he "forgot" is I begged him to measure it last time I was there, and he fought me, but did it and measured the wrong level (there is a tissue level and a circulating level, and the tissue one is the "useful" one). So when I asked him about this (not mentioning he did the wrong one last time) he explained to me what I just said! Last year he hadn't ever done a Vitamin D test and now he's recommending them to all his patients!

3. Cholesterol. Last year he was aghast that I was trying to lower my cholesterol without a statin. He was totally against it. I told him about studies that showed post-menopausal women without heart disease don't benefit and in fact there is a reverse-correlation with heart disease and cholesterol level, that it was correlation and not causation, yada yada, but he didn't budge. Well, I went over my cholesterol numbers (that I got from the blood test by the "alternative" doctor). If I recall, Total 255, HDL 71, LDL 165, Triglycerides 67, pattern A LDL large fluffy. I thought he would go nuts with the overall and LDL but he didn't. He said "no one is going to get upset by an LDL of 165." WTH??!! Then he gave me what he called his "standard lecture" on cholesterol, which started out with "it's correlation, not causation" and if a person has low risk for heart disease, it may not mean too much.

Can you believe this? It's like he turned a corner and forgot to tell me.

Anyway, I've got more to report, but I wanted to put this up now. Perhaps "our" message is getting through to standard health care professionals.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #38  

CJ -- Sounds like SOMEONE has been reading some books!!!! Excellent for you!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

CJ that is just awesome! And hopefully! And more evidence that we are all headed on the right path! Thanks for posting.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #40  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

CJ -- Great to hear !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Can you believe this? It's like he turned a corner and forgot to tell me.

Anyway, I've got more to report, but I wanted to put this up now. Perhaps "our" message is getting through to standard health care professionals.
Hooray CJ! I'd say it's more like he followed you around the corner while you were paying attention to something else. You may well have opened his mind to checking the current research and created good medicine for his other patients!
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #42  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

This gives me hope for my kids and grandkids...
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi ladies --

This is an old 2007 interview with Gary Taubes, but I found it very interesting. It apparently is an actual transcript and not edited.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhm4f3rg_36gg4956dm
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #44  

Yes, Cj - consider yourself very fortunate to have a doctor on board -- how wonderful!

I had a bad eating day yesterday - don't feel great and am not happy about bloating and possible gain. Homemade cookies from a friend...

Also, I haven't been sleep well at all lately - I hate going into the holidays tired - it lowers not only my immune system and makes me feel cruddy, it weakens my willpower.

Who has good tips for sleep? I must do better!!!!

Have a good day all- it's going to be a primal one for me!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Hi ladies --

This is an old 2007 interview with Gary Taubes, but I found it very interesting. It apparently is an actual transcript and not edited.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhm4f3rg_36gg4956dm
Thanks, I'll check it out. Has anyone bought his new book (supposed to be much more accessible than GCBC). I want it!