3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal/Paleo-ish in October (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/213784-primal-paleo-ish-october.html)

sparky1946 10-12-2010 10:58 AM

Oh-Oh,

Does stress/anxiety cause blood glucose to go up? 119 this am.

Mikkijoe 10-12-2010 12:07 PM

I would think so, in fact I know my FIL was always high when there was alot of chaos (=kids) around

theCandEs 10-12-2010 12:10 PM

Hi, Sandy, I'm a lurker here. Yes, unfortunately, stress and anxiety do cause it to go up. Also, have you had some cheese or nuts? Sometimes they will cause a reaction, too. I'm undiagnosed prediabetic. I tested negative on my last BG test because I've cut out the carbs drastically. I will still get a high reading at home, though. It seems to fluctuate a lot. If I could just stick to the no grain approach consistently, then my numbers would probably stay good all the time, but my DH and kids are not doing the diet with me, and sometimes it's really difficult.

walking2lose 10-12-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky1946 (Post 3518536)
Oh-Oh,

Does stress/anxiety cause blood glucose to go up? 119 this am.

Yes! Big time. My husband is a 33+ year type 1 diabetic, and he ALWAYS reminds me of this when we bicker.

Aforementioned husband had an accident a week ago Sunday, and last week was long and tough for us -- he's got 42 staples in one of his legs (gashed from hip to foot). He's turned the corner and is doing better now, but it was harrowing as he had a potential MRSA (came back negative yesterday), and being diabetic, he has to be watched very closely --it would not have been good at all!!

So, that's where I've been. Eating has been so-so, and exercise next to nothing. A little scared to weigh, but I'm trying to get back in the groove this week. Will have to read and catch up later.

Sandy -- GREAT job on the loss - you have lost about 5 lbs. since I was last on 3FC!!!!!

sparky1946 10-13-2010 09:32 AM

Claire,

Thanks for the information and give your husband a big hug from all of us. I hope he has a speedy recovery. Life certainly throws "stuff" in our way. I believe that forums like this help us get back on track. I know in the past if I had a weight gain, I might have given up, thrown in the towel. But knowing that I have a group of forum friends who will support me, makes all the difference.

Give yourself time to ease back to a routine. You and your family have been through a lot.

I feel bad complaining about 3 beautiful grand children making noise.

sparky1946 10-13-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCandEs (Post 3518685)
Hi, Sandy, I'm a lurker here. Yes, unfortunately, stress and anxiety do cause it to go up. Also, have you had some cheese or nuts? Sometimes they will cause a reaction, too. I'm undiagnosed prediabetic. I tested negative on my last BG test because I've cut out the carbs drastically. I will still get a high reading at home, though. It seems to fluctuate a lot. If I could just stick to the no grain approach consistently, then my numbers would probably stay good all the time, but my DH and kids are not doing the diet with me, and sometimes it's really difficult.

Hi theCandEs,

Please lurk no more ;).

I haven't allowed myself much nuts or cheese or any grain for that matter.

The only difference is that I am babysitting more this month due to my daughter's opportunity to get in a few more hours as a Physical Therapist. She has been a stay at home mom with three kids, the youngest is two. But she had an opportunity (sub for a maternity leave) to work for the place she wants to work at when she returns to work full time, so we didn't want her not to accept it and to get her foot in the door. But it will be almost everyday for the next three weeks. So I am extraordinarily tired. And I have a great desire to pacify myself with food. I have not had cravings for so long that it kind of surprised me :( I can't even say it is cravings for carbs just craving for relief of anxiety.

Anyway. please join us and thanks for your insight.

sf40 10-13-2010 12:07 PM

Good morning!

I, too, have heard that stress and anxiety can cause blood glucose levels to go up.

Since Friday, I've been testing my blood glucose at home following the protocol on the Blood Sugar 101 website, which is fasting and 1 and 2 hours after eating. So far, no real surprises.

I've been disappointed with my fasting numbers, though, because they have consistently been above 100 and ranging between 110 and 120. Interesting because my two fasting tests done by a lab were 103 and 100. I tested my blood with my own meter at the same time as the second test, and it was 101, so I think the meter is pretty close. I test my fasting at home very early in the morning, between 5 and 5:30am and my lab test blood draws have usually been around 9am, so I wonder if that makes a difference. I have also heard that it could take a few months of proper eating to get fasting levels consistently below 100 and I hope that is the case.

Post-eating readings have been pretty good, quite often below 100 and usually below 120. A bagel with cream cheese and tomato and cucumber slices sent my BG to 157 and 185. Ouch. A restaurant meal consisting of cornbread with butter, pulled pork sandwich with BBQ sauce and the bottom bun only, and mixed green salad with candied pecans and vinaigrette that contained sugar sent my BG to 190 and 174. I felt that lunch, too!

So eating primal is really the way to go for me, primarily to avoid turning into a full-blown diabetic. I also feel so much better eating this way. And weight loss is happening without trying too hard -- I am down to 170.2 this morning. :)

Hope you all have a great day!

CJZee 10-13-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf40 (Post 3520291)
Good morning!

I, too, have heard that stress and anxiety can cause blood glucose levels to go up.

Since Friday, I've been testing my blood glucose at home following the protocol on the Blood Sugar 101 website, which is fasting and 1 and 2 hours after eating. So far, no real surprises.

I've been disappointed with my fasting numbers, though, because they have consistently been above 100 and ranging between 110 and 120. Interesting because my two fasting tests done by a lab were 103 and 100. I tested my blood with my own meter at the same time as the second test, and it was 101, so I think the meter is pretty close. I test my fasting at home very early in the morning, between 5 and 5:30am and my lab test blood draws have usually been around 9am, so I wonder if that makes a difference. I have also heard that it could take a few months of proper eating to get fasting levels consistently below 100 and I hope that is the case.

Post-eating readings have been pretty good, quite often below 100 and usually below 120. A bagel with cream cheese and tomato and cucumber slices sent my BG to 157 and 185. Ouch. A restaurant meal consisting of cornbread with butter, pulled pork sandwich with BBQ sauce and the bottom bun only, and mixed green salad with candied pecans and vinaigrette that contained sugar sent my BG to 190 and 174. I felt that lunch, too!

So eating primal is really the way to go for me, primarily to avoid turning into a full-blown diabetic. I also feel so much better eating this way. And weight loss is happening without trying too hard -- I am down to 170.2 this morning. :)

Hope you all have a great day!

Hi! I am no expert, but have read quite a bit about high blood sugar. If you have a higher than normal morning reading, and your blood sugar drops when you eat something, it could be one of two things:

1. The Dawn Phenomenon or

2. The Somogyi Effect

My understanding of the Dawn Phenomenon is that, about 3 a.m., everyone's blood sugar starts to rise in preparation for getting up in the morning. If you have blood glucose problems, it just rises too much which is why you have the higher fasting blood sugar. You can try to eat a small snack before bed of protein and a little carb to see if that helps.

The Somogyi Effect is basically your blood sugar is falling too low during the night, so your body takes control of this low blood sugar by pumping it up too much to protect you (hypoglycemia is bad). So, this is an entirely different thing and is the result of untreated nighttime hypoglycemia.

You can look up both these things on the internet. Hope this helps.

wildviolets 10-13-2010 04:23 PM

I'm excited! So I read this message board faithfully everyday though I haven't lost any weight.....which is fine considering how I'm eating. I try to eat primal and have therefore increased my protein and cut out grains but I do end up eating sweets every now and then. I've also been eating cream, butter, bacon, lard and lots of cheese for the past 4 months. The fact that I haven't gain weight is amazing.

That being said I was really worried about getting my blood tested. I thought for sure my cholesterol and sugar would be bad because I wasn't following primal carefully to gain any benefits and may have hindered my efforts by the sweets and high amount of fat.

Well I'm happy to report that my bloodwork was excellent! I'm so darn excited I could bust. No one would understand this except you all on this board. I am now convinced more than ever that primal is not only a weight loss way of eating but the way to good health.

On a side note, did anyone ever read the book or check out the website, perfecthealthdiet.com? I came acrossed it via the HEalthy Skeptic. He said it was his favorite nutrition book. It's only in ebook form though. Just wondered.

Thanks for letting me blather on about this.....

sf40 10-13-2010 04:41 PM

CJZee, yes, this is very helpful. Thanks for the info! I will definitely look those two things up.

wildviolets, congrats on your good blood numbers. After just a month of eating primal, my lipids and blood pressure improved. I think it's a wonderful way of eating for health.

I actually ran across the perfect health diet website just yesterday. Interesting that grains are to be avoided as toxins. It shares some similar features with paleo/primal eating, but appears to be lower protein and a bit higher carb, though no grains. I would probably check out the book from the library, if it were available. However, I'm pretty happy with the way I am eating. :)

sparky1946 10-13-2010 05:37 PM

wildviolets..

I did download the book and read it and it is very similar with the additional of some starches. I told my husband that when we get to goal, I would try to add in some rice (no more than Mark's 20% rule) and he could try some potatoes and see what happens with blood sugar etc. I am kind of a purist. When I buy something, I go full bore and get almost panicky about changing anything.

I am so glad your numbers are great!!! I hope, I hope, I hope...

Congratulations!

Ilene 10-13-2010 09:45 PM

Wildviolet, I am so happy for your numbers and I was worried about the same thing. I've been avoiding going to the cholesterol clinic because of this fear. Like you I try to eat primal and have increased my protein, cut out grains and I also eat sweets every now along with wine and then been eating cream, butter, no lard or bacon though like you, but lots of cheese, since January. Also the fact that I haven't gain weight is amazing to me too :lol: I had lost weight in the beginning, 8 lbs, but now I fluctuate between 5 and 8 lbs....... All this to say :woohoo: good for you, and maybe I'll be the same :carrot:

CJZ, I will definitely read that ebook, great info...

I just need some advice about something, WARNING TMI AHEAD :lol: ... I don't go to the bathroom every day or two like I used to, it drives me crazy! The only time I really go "well" is after an evening where I've had a glass or two of wine :cheers: It's probably because of the sugar in the wine I'm sure... Otherwise I eat plenty of veggies and fibrous ones too cabbage, romaine lettuce, carrots, turnip, broccoli, some apples, oranges, raspberries with yogurt, the list goes on... I also take flaxseed once in a while... I also drink lots of water! Any suggestions? Or is going once or twice per week my new normal now? TIA...

sparky1946 10-13-2010 09:56 PM

Poop - lets just call it what it is

I used to go "big" every morning like clockwork. Now maybe every other day, very little though.

I try to tell myself that my body is just utilizing all this good food to the max and there is very little residue. I do not feel bloated or constipated at all so I hope everything is working OK.

Ilene 10-13-2010 10:15 PM

Thanks for the input Sparky, I never thought of it that my body is using all those nutrients to use and burn up... I also don't feel bloated or constipated I feel great...

sparky1946 10-14-2010 04:54 PM

Ilene...

I absolutely do not know if this is true, just it's what I want to believe. If I had leaky gut or another malabsorption issue, maybe eating this way has improved my handling of food and the before (daily) was a sign of sickness.

I am watching my carbs pretty closely and am not eating nearly what I will be eating veggie and fruit-wise when I reach my goal and do maintenance.
I do not get near the amount of fiber that I used to eat.

I am a bit conflicted about fiber as my low-carb doc recommended Metamucil (psyllium husks). Others have poo-pooed (no pun intended) the need for extra fiber. I have not done enough research yet. I have read that it will help bind up cholesterol and flush it down the drain rather than into/onto my arteries.