Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #271  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Its funny with the Tilapia discussion...2 yrs ago when I was eating and exercising regularly, Tilapia was my fallback, I probably ate 2 pieces a day(baked with spices),and it was delicious, however, I got extremely ill and came down with an auto-immune problem in my nerves and I have always suspected the mass consumption of tilapia although they never could pin-point what caused it. I haven't eaten tilapia since and thankfully recovered in about 2 months.

I like the canned salmon on salads, and the sardines are good, I still can't choke down the Herring, man have I tried! I also tried Mackerel canned, I love it fresh, but not canned!!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #272  
Determined.

S/C/G: 233/233/140

Default This is how I get my kids to eat sardines...(hehe)

I make a thick homemade tomato sauce - just organic tomato paste, some pure honey to taste - you don't need much and it counteracts the acidity, a good pinch of salt and either plenty of fresh chopped herbs or some grated nutmeg. I mash about a few tsps of that and the same amount good olive oil, plus fresh lemon juice if I have it, into the sardines until the texture is even They (the kids, not low carb) love that spread on toast. I have it with roasted or steamed cauliflower a good grind of black pepper and the flavours are good together.

I'm not sure how honey rates on the primal diet. I like using it (sparingly - but for all my kid's lunchbox baking etc). I suspect it's pretty high in carbs.

Can anyone recommend a good carb counter site?

I had coconut oil in my coffee yesterday! It wasn't bad! I take my coffee black anyway so the oil was a better option than coconut milk.
Its taken me ages to find a coconut oil I really like. Mine is virgin, organic, from the Phillipines and I have a 4 litre pail of it. I think it cost about the equivelent of US$70 incl freight.

SusanB I've been thinking on the not knowing the awful truth re my exact weight. Just a temporary number is a great way to regard it! I've had my head in the sand about it for a year or more. Better to know, and get to measure progress every week (or month like BibBob maybe?).
June 1st I'll dust off those scales. There I've said it!

I keep forgetting to stock up on brussels sprouts -can't wait to try that recipe!

Best to all.
A

Last edited by AdeleA; 05-25-2010 at 05:34 PM.
AdeleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #273  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Hi Adele,

I think FitDay is the site most around here use to track carbs and other macros.

I confess waiting a whole month to weigh is a little unnerving. Maybe every two weeks would be easier. I know I can get obsessed by the number and that can cause other issues, mostly bad. So, I'm trying not to worry about the number. I'm trying to create a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain indefinitely, with some weight loss urgency built in at this morbidly obese stage.

I'm having a munchy day today and I hope I don't regret it. A few grabs of almonds, a few cherries, a few pork rinds, some awesome homemade jerky, and a pretty good sized lunch. It adds up, but I feel pretty good having a day like this. Like I deserve it.

Tomorrow I am going to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and hoping to find primal food there. The refined oils and sugars worry me more than the soy and deep fried stuff. Should be fun. It's a buffet. I used to could do some damage at a buffet.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #274  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My youngest son "says" he doesn't know how much he used to weigh and is sorry about that. I suspect that the scale we had wouldn't go that high. Now that he's under 200 lbs he looks fantastic and I wish I knew how much he's lost. He's looking forward to getting a tux for DS#1's wedding next summer to see how much smaller it is than the one he wore for DD's wedding in 2006.

Kara? Have you read Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book about celiac? She thinks her gluten intolerance began with a "bug" she had once. It's a pop-star-light-weight read but has some interesting stuff in it.

Is it the 26th already? I'm going to have to remember to get my tape measurer ready for Tuesday. I do weigh everyday so I know that's not dropping but I am shrinking.

We're going to a buffet on Saturday. Hopefully all the ill effects of that will be gone by the time I have to measure.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #275  

[B]AdeleA/B] - I use thedailyplate.com. I tried fitday & sparkpeople and like thedailyplate much better.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #276  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #277  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
[B]AdeleA/B] - I use thedailyplate.com. I tried fitday & sparkpeople and like thedailyplate much better.
What do you like about thedailyplate? I use fitday but it's kinda slow and the database is limited.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #278  

S/C/G: 140/136/115

Height: 5' 0"

I was using fitday.com but two days ago I heard about dailyburn.com which I find much better. The food choices are more specific for me and I find it quite user-friendly.
Sue991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #279  

Hi Leenie! Hi Sue!

Are you both going to join us? The more the merrier!

I've made fresh salsa for supper tonight. I'm letting the flavours meld We're having salmon too. I've sent Dh out to get some fruit and cream
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #280  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Yum Susan, salsa is one of my favs.

Hi Leenie and Sue!

All was good today! I got tons of sun! We went to a park that I'd never knew was here only about 8 miles away and then let the kids play and walked on the trail for about a mile, then later I took my son + friend on another walk, so its been a good slow moving burn today! and very primal...I did splurge on some raspberry ice cream I made myself(frozen raspberries + milk + blending) so higher on carbs than usual but not bad, it was so refreshing with the 90+ weather.

Tomorrow I clean for 3 hours then I promised a trip to the pool for a few hours, so I may be IFing out of convenience.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue991 View Post
I was using fitday.com but two days ago I heard about dailyburn.com which I find much better. The food choices are more specific for me and I find it quite user-friendly.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just signed up, tried it out and agree that it's very user friendly.

ETA. My ratios are ok today. All I've had, though, is 3 oz almonds and 7 hot buffalo wild wings. Not exactly healthy. I am not hungry, but if I get hungry, I'll make a big salad like yesterday. 6 cups lettuces and spring greens, thin sliced cucumber, feta, kalamatas, fresh squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. YUM!

Last edited by katerina11; 05-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #282  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, Susan ... tell me about your homemade salsa. I saw a recipe for pork tenderloin cooked in salsa and I want to try it!

I've done very well today and am tired. I did two exercise classes, a "land" one and a "water" one. The water one is actually kind of wussy, but it is a nice relaxing way to end the day and I always think moving some is better than not moving at all. The other one was a killer today. But good!

Our local small grocery has a deli where they cook fresh foods every day and today they had leg of lamb. It was sooooo good, it's what I had for dinner. I have never tried to cook lamb myself.

Adele, the sooner you weigh yourself and get it over with, the more relieved you'll be. It's just a number, but it's one you want to know so you can track your progress. It's important on this journey to see where we've come from because ... honestly ... you forget. Even today, 80 pounds down, I don't feel (or look to myself) that much different until I view the chart showing what I've lost and look at pictures of myself and remember some hard time I had exercising or climbing stairs or whatever. So you want physical markers of your progress and weight is one.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #283  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Well poop. This was my 20 percenter for the month. The Chinese buffet for lunch was not that bad, but lord knows what goes into those sauces. I had shrimp and green beans, beef and broccoli, kung pao chicken and no fried stuff, no rice and no noodles. Not bad, but that stuff tasted pretty sweet. It gets way worse. I had home made pizze for dinner. I was begged by a very cute kid who deserved whatever she wanted. Man it was good and I cannot report some terrible reaction to grains. Some chocolate cherry cheesecake finished me off. Can't say I had a reaction to refined sugar either.

My paleo ancestors turned in their graves.

As for salsa. I have maters, onions, serrano peppers, bell peppers and cilantro all ripe and ready in the backyard. I like it on my eggs. Or on pork chop. Try pork chops and eggs with a bunch of salsa.

Hello Sue and Leenie. Hope you stick around and share if you're going primal.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #284  
Ilene the Bean

HI Leenie and Sue

I haven't formally exercised since my Sunday run, I've been busy "late" spring cleaning so that's been my exercise, it's also been way too hot to exercise outside, so with the AC on inside it's perfect to clean cupboards and such... We're having visitors arriving tomorrow, it's a good thing visitors come once in a while, makes me clean the cave ...

Today:
Fat (52%)
Carbs (11%)
Protein (22%)
Alcohol (15%) I have more alcohol than carbs today weird
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #285  

I googled a recipe for salsa and it wasn't very good. The recipe that my tupperware lady made was much nicer. I suppose we could google that. And my salmon tasted fishy. Sometimes the cheap fillets I buy are very good and sometimes they're not. About the only thing that was really tasty was the butter I fried them in

I'm going to get pork chops out of the freezer right now. Done!

I did exercise yesterday. I made up about 20 minutes of yoga/dance/dumbells.

Today is going to be a challenge. We don't have much for groceries. I'll let you all know how it turned out.