Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/227/145

Height: 5'6"

Default How long did it take?

Hey everyone.

I was wondering exactly how long it took everyone to get to their goal weight on Atkins. I'm determined to do this and I'm thinking it should take me about 9-10 months. Does this sound realistic?
Also, how much exercise were you doing at the beginning? Did you start off with little exercise and increase as you lost?
Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to put together a plan that works for me and all of your stories are so inspiring!

Paige
plp0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'll soon be celebrating 5 years on Atkins It took me a little over a year to lose the weight. I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but, the slower it comes off, the better. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week.

I'm a BIG fan of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvd's...I think I have them all. In the nice weather, I enjoy walking outside.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-11-2009 at 10:18 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #3  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

I lost 100 pounds in 9 months on atkins. I walked 30 minutes twice a day when the weather was good, and when it was nasty, I just turned on the radio and danced. I stayed in induction the whole time, allowing myself 60 carbs for holidays and special occasions. THen back to 10 - 20 carbs a day.

Good luck, it's easy when you get the hang of it.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

Well, everyone is different, but losing a lot of weight in a relatively short time is very possible with low carb I think, which is why so many of us use it. I am hoping to lose about 80 lbs at least by July when I have double knee replacement surgery, and I think it is very doable.

I would say just keep at it, don't be swayed if you have times where you lose faster and then lose slower for a while, or if you have an off day or even a "blew it" day, just stay positive and focused. Exercise will definitely add to your weight loss, if nothing else helping you lose inches and firm up while the weight comes off.

Good Luck!!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #5  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp0426 View Post
Hey everyone.

I was wondering exactly how long it took everyone to get to their goal weight on Atkins. I'm determined to do this and I'm thinking it should take me about 9-10 months. Does this sound realistic?
Also, how much exercise were you doing at the beginning? Did you start off with little exercise and increase as you lost?
Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to put together a plan that works for me and all of your stories are so inspiring!

Paige
I lost all extra weight this past December. I started at 240 in '03 when I lost with low carb 85 pounds. I regained 33 the next year and it has been a struggle until I went back to Atkins by the book. You may be one who loses it all in one go but life happens and there are events that could derail our life plans. I lost the 88 pounds in one calender year but catastrophes threw me off my goal. Today I am at goal weight and say it is possible to lose that amount in one year. I wish you good luck on Atkins.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

If I make my Valentine's Day goal I will have lost 100 lbs in six months. I have so much to lose, and I am so sensitive to carbs and prone to carb cravings, that I have stayed on induction this whole time, which Dr. Atkins himself said was fine in extreme cases like mine. I haven't been exercising as much as I should--I have had a lot going on and been under a lot of stress--but I intend to start back with a good workout plan February 1st.

My total weight loss goal is to lose 200-210 in 12 months. I really don't care how much I end up weighing though, be it 170, 150, 130 or whatever. I just want to be healthy, not have swollen ankles/legs, and look good in clothes. Ideally I'd like to wear a size 8, having never been smaller than a 14 as an adult. We'll see.

I think some would say 100 lbs in six months is too fast, but it's what my body wants to do since I am keeping it on induction in order to pre-empt the carb cravings. Ultimately, once I reach a weight I am happy with, I will add in a larger variety of vegetables and maybe a bit of fruit but I will never again be able to have starch or sugar in any form, and I am OK with that. I've done Atkins three times now - third time's the charm!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Keep in mind, the more weight you have to lose, the faster it tends to come off. There is no "average"...everyone is different.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #8  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
If I make my Valentine's Day goal I will have lost 100 lbs in six months. I have so much to lose, and I am so sensitive to carbs and prone to carb cravings, that I have stayed on induction this whole time, which Dr. Atkins himself said was fine in extreme cases like mine. I haven't been exercising as much as I should--I have had a lot going on and been under a lot of stress--but I intend to start back with a good workout plan February 1st.

My total weight loss goal is to lose 200-210 in 12 months. I really don't care how much I end up weighing though, be it 170, 150, 130 or whatever. I just want to be healthy, not have swollen ankles/legs, and look good in clothes. Ideally I'd like to wear a size 8, having never been smaller than a 14 as an adult. We'll see.

I think some would say 100 lbs in six months is too fast, but it's what my body wants to do since I am keeping it on induction in order to pre-empt the carb cravings. Ultimately, once I reach a weight I am happy with, I will add in a larger variety of vegetables and maybe a bit of fruit but I will never again be able to have starch or sugar in any form, and I am OK with that. I've done Atkins three times now - third time's the charm!
Fast weight loss brings side effects. Hair loss for one thing.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cie View Post
Fast weight loss brings side effects. Hair loss for one thing.
Cie...you bring up a good point. I, too, believe fast weight loss does bring side effects.
If anyone wants to be successful at losing weight & maintaining the loss...you must be willing to change your eating habits for the rest of your life, otherwise you are only setting yourself up for failure. There is no magic potion, there are no excuses...you must be committed to making a lifestyle change!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Fortunately I have had no negative side effects whatsoever. My skin, hair and nails are all great. Energy's great and I literally feel 15 years younger.

I'm not doing induction in order to lose weight fast ~ in fact I wouldn't care if it took 3 years to get to goal. I just have to stay on induction to pre-empt carb cravings. And when I get close to goal I am going to have to be very very careful about what I add back in. I accept that I can never, ever have sugar or starch again, therefore this is a permanent lifestyle change. For me, the speed of weight loss is just a side effect of staying on induction, not a goal in and of itself.

I think we all have to listen to our bodiy, and it will let us know if what we are doing is best for it or not. My body's happy with this lifestyle change . . . as am I.

Best of luck to you on your journey Paige!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote