S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

w00t!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I for one, think it's wonderful that you continue to provide accurate information on the Atkins plan to beginners who are unsure. You always point out the "facts" as the book intales. I, like many others here...believe that you have many places here at 3FC (i.e., LC, Maintainers, etc.) and that you should go where the need is great!

I do, however, feel the need to add "my 2 cents" to some of the things you have said here:

"I'm of the addage...if you aren't going to do something the way it was designed to be done, why bother doing it to begin with"

As there are many variations and degrees of Atkins that work (with a high degree of success) I think it narrow-minded to believe as stated above. If that were true then if I ate one cookie..I guess I should go ahead and eat the whole bag! Dr. Atkins methology is used in many different low-carb programs as he is the "low-carb founder"...I actually remember (givin away my age now), the time when medical professionals laughed at this science and theories on weight loss/health! Therefore, there is not a "one size fit's all" approach to low-carbing...and that while being a self-proclaimed "Atkins Purist" may reap benefits for you...it may not for someone else.

"In the years I've been here and on other low carb boards...I've seen many come & go"

This is so true...but have you ever though...hmmm...where did they go?? Did they simply stop caring about their diets/health because they have chosen to no longer post on this forum??? Maybe...but...maybe not. Not everyone feels the need to exists on the same forum (or any forum) for the rest of their lives....perhaps some of these people's goals have changed and they have in fact "grown out" of the support they need in this forum. I, myself, have decided to enter the world of female bodybuilding (nothing extreme, but really really lean...whew!). And have already entered into sites/forums that offer more info in this respect. Granted..I've made friends here and I like staying in touch with all of you so I continue here...but if I were to decide that 3FC's no longer suits my needs...I would move on...however, would and will not ever give up on me! I think there are many who share my sentiments on that one...soooooo

Glad you decided to stay and share...just wanted to share as well. Here's to the spirit of sharing! here...here....cheerzzz! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #18  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thanks for your post

I've been on the internet for many years now and learned long ago that a lot can be misunderstood in text. When I say I am an Atkins purist...I mean, I am an Atkins purist because that is what works for me. I need a regimented plan to stay accountable. I can't deviate by saying "oh just a little taste of this chocolate won't hurt me"...that simply doesn't work for me. Its like the people that can have 1 small taste of something & be satisfied and walk away from it...that isn't me! I'm not happy unless I finish the whole thing! How do you think I got up to 245 lbs! It sure wasn't because I was satisfied with 1 taste. But...I am very happy to report, it has gotten much better. Over Valentines weekend, DBF & I split a piece of low carb cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory and I had 3 small bites So...what I'm saying is, being an Atkins purist works for me

And as far as the"I'm of the addage...if you aren't going to do something the way it was designed to be done, why bother doing it to begin with" thats simply my thinking about the way to appoach most things in this life. It works for me...but...Im well aware it doesn't work for everyone.
Just wanted to clarify that

As long as folks appreciate my advice & support...I'lm happy to help!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-03-2008 at 02:49 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #19  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

JG, I think it's great that you stick around even though you've reached your goal, it is a great inspiration and motivation to see someone who's been where I am and has lost the weight and kept it off. I think its great to have you and some of the other maintainers still posting to remind us that the plan works . I think I would have given up by now if not for seeing how well you and Lilybell and others have done. It gives me hope.

Last edited by Puncezilla; 03-03-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

yes, please stick around. Your knowledge and kindness is very much appreciated.

What's really cool too is how it seems there is differing opinions but no drama in this particular section of 3FC - that can't be said for all the sections!

It's really great to have women with different opinions, express those opinions and not get catty or snippy with each other. Kudos to all of you who express your opinions so well!

I will be hanging around more to learn from all of you!
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

JG-In Protein Power Life Plan, the Drs. Eades describe three approaches to their WOE: the hedonist, the dilletante, and the purist. The purist eats like a caveman (no dairy, no grains, no artificial sweetners, and organic whenever possible.) The dilletante is a bit more permissive-eats dairy, artificial sweetners, wheat bran, oat bran, etc. but goes no further. The hedonist eats any and all things low carb: low carb bread, tortillas, pasta, chocolate, etc. They point out that any of these three approaches is a big improvement over the typical american diet but the closer you get to the purist, the greater the health benefits of the diet. However, it is up to the individual to decide what their goals are and what fits their lifestyle. I'm certainly not suggesting you change what you do because obviously it's working for you, but you might find it interesting to read their book. It's a different take on low carb and it is probably the second most popular low carb "diet" after Atkins. They have also written a book on maintenance called "Staying Power". There aren't a lot of books on maintenace in general and even fewer low carb based ones. From what I remember, most of what is in there would apply to any low carb program. You may not need that but it might be a resource worth storing in your memory for future reference.

In case you were wondering, yes, I own and have read DANDR. I read diet books like most people read novels-it's a sickness, LOL.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #22  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Interesting Petra...although I think Dr. Atkins New Revolution book is well equipped with all the knowledge anyone could need to lose the weight...it does leave something to be desired in the maintenance department. It doesn't go into enough detail for the different body types, metabolisms, genetic predispositions, etc....nor exercise (which is key to any maintenance program).

When I reach goal...I think I'm gonna read this book. I like the way it seems to categorize different approach. Myself...I'm always a big fan of "diversity" and the "more than one way to skin a cat" approach. Thanks for the info.

Jersey - I think here at 3FC's we all have something to offer and something to gain! I tend to think that when you "give" you "receive"...as nobody is infalable...and we all need support! Hopefully you have gained from this forum as much as you have gived...and hoping that you continue to gain and give as long as your heart desires! Joyce

Last edited by bambifox; 03-04-2008 at 09:18 AM.
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #23  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I say do both....

Last edited by Leenie; 03-04-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #24  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thanks for your suggestion Petra, I've read both books you mentioned (I enjoy reading weight loss books too!!)

I agree DANDR is somewhat limited when it comes to Atkins Maintenance. Since Atkins is IT for ME I really like what "Atkins For Life" has to say about how to maintain a controlled carb lifestyle There are also some awesome recipes!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote