Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #1  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Chocoperfection Bars

I was reading another LC thread (I was researching erythritol, actually--I was thinking of trying it as a sweetener, as I'm trying to get away from Splenda) and saw that Jerseygrl was asking about Chocoperfection experiences. I figured that LC girls would be interested to have a place compiled to share their experiences or get reviews.

I ordered a box of the dark chocolate ones from Netrition and there are both positives and negatives. They are slightly waxy-tasting...like Easter chocolate bunnies. And they are rather sweet, but they do taste like chocolate, and 1/4 or 1/2 of a bar is more than enough to satisfy a sweet urge. I dipped mine in a TBS of peanut butter and was in heaven! I did make the mistake once of eating two in one day (rushing around and figured eating them would be better than eating something more carby), and had some gastrointestinal issues (gas).

They recently came out with a new flavor specifically for Jimmy Moore of "Livin' la Vida Low Carb" that's raspberry dark chocolate, which sounds interesting. I'd order it again if I ever feel like I can't live without chocolate--but it is a bit pricey. Even if you order from Netrition, with shipping it works out to being about $2.80 per bar.

Last edited by Azure; 02-16-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Azure: You are spot on about the gas thing. My DH loves both versions of the Chocoperfection. Up until the other day, I only ate a square or two on a rare occasion. I grabbed his lunch instead of mine on Valentines day and he had put a whole bar in there. I ate it and suffered with the volumes of gas issue. I mean VOLUMENOUS GAS. I will stick with the occasional small dose from now on. Yikes.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #3  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Alas, I cannot contribute to the Chocoperfection discussion, but this seems like an appropriate place to squee about having discovered that one of the very very few chocolatieres in Bangkok makes sugarfree chocolate.

http://www.mrsflowers.com/chocolate/index.html

I bought a 100g bar of their sugarfree milk chocolate (sweetened with maltitol) and tried one square last night as an experiment - first time I've eaten a sweet since early January. It was very nice, and did not kick off any cravings. Although I do have 2 kinds of low carb chocolate in my fridge already (the box of Spanish truffles and the high-cocoa-content stuff a friend mailed me for Christmas) I'd been thinking of these as the only 2 packets of chocolates in the whole country that were permissible.

Now I find I have an actual local source of sugarfree chocolate! Which is a terrific discovery! Not that I'm going crazy and running around scoffing bars and bars of the stuff - but it's great to know it's there. I don't actually need to eat the stuff - it's a waste of carbs - but I don't feel like I'm being denied anything, if that makes sense? I'm just choosing to eschew it for now, in the knowledge that if I really do want any, I can work it in to my plan.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #4  
Low Carb Lolita

Just to add about the gas + Chocoperfection issue. I believe she uses both Oligofructose (chicory root fiber) and Erithrytol as a sweetner, but primarily Oligofructose. There is a LOT of fiber in one of those bars--I want to say 25g or so? I also bought a bag of "Sweet Perfection" (Oligofructose) with the chocolate and found that too much of that in anything also produces a gassy effect. It's sweet like cotton candy and full of fiber (the Oligofructose), but I suspect that was the reason for my gastrointestinal objection.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I should be getting my shipment of chocoperfection dark chocolate any day now...I bought some almonds that I will chop up and make choco-almond bars...yum...yum! I'll post my findings when I'm done licking my fingers! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #6  

Bambi: The Chocoperfection bars are really hard to melt. They get gritty. You can melt them to a very liquidy chocolate if you put a tablespoon or coconut oil on top and use the micro. Google melting chocoperfection or cooking with chocoperfection. I think maybe one of the low carb fudge mixes from netrition might be better for your almond candy experiement.

ox
SC
Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #7  
banned

Thanks SIC...I think I saw a recipe on Livin La Vida Loca website for choco-almond bars...and I think you're right...it does involve mixing something with it. I'll get the recipe from there before I make it...Thanks.

BTW, I started the "Ripped" program today! Whew! I've gotta say...wow! was I impressed with the instant energy I had during the cardio and I did 30 min...also, the night pills really helped me sleep so peacefully. I'm stoked about it...can't wait to report in after week 1! Joyce
Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #8  

You go girl! I can walk today but I've noticed that my leg muscles are weak going up and down stairs (probably from being over exerted at that Saturday class). I'm doing the BodyVive class tonight and will try BodyPump again tomorrow.
sc
Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I personally have not been at all impressed with this chocolate. I would agree with Azure, it has a waxy taste and definitely doesn't taste like any chocolate I've ever eaten. Of course, that is only my opinion.

A few years back when I first began Atkins, there were a brand of low carb chocolate bars on the market called Z-Carb....they were excellent!! Of course, they've since been discontinued.

Personally, I'll stick with the Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate when I feel the need for an occasional treat. Some may find it bitter but...being away from sugar for so long when I do eat anything sweet...it tastes sickening to me. DBF & I went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch over the weekend & we shared a piece of their 6 carb cheesecake....this was the first "sweet" I've had in nearly 4 years of beginning Atkins and while I only had 3 small taste's...it was very sweet to me!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #10  
Low Carb Lolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post

Personally, I'll stick with the Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate when I feel the need for an occasional treat. Some may find it bitter but...being away from sugar for so long when I do eat anything sweet...it tastes sickening to me.
I keep some of that in my cabinet. I don't think it's amazing-tasting because of the bitterness, but on the rare occasion when I've been going insane for a taste of SOMETHING that qualifies as "junk" one square of the Lindt 85% is more than enough. The bitterness helps curb my craving and urge to binge--you simply CAN'T binge on that stuff
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #11  
banned

Well guys...I was getting a little scared when I read all your posts on this "long awaited" chocoperfection dark chocolate bar. I finally got it...yeah!!! So I nervously ripped open the package and tried a chunk....YUMMMMMY!!!! The chocolate was a little strong...as I'm used to milk chocolate, but I didn't find it funny tasting at all! I thought the consistency was very good and well as the taste...it actually melted in my mouth! I do think that it will tast a whole lot better when I melt it and mix in the almonds...ooooh weeee...can't wait! I also ordered a bag of Erythritol...only costs around $6 bucks...I'll be giving that a try soon as well. I guess our tastebuds are all very different and thanks for your comments.

These days though...I'm not as worried about my chocolate intake (thanks to Jerseygyrl for convincing me that I was an addict! LOL!), as my workouts and "shredding this body" with my new "Ripped System" by NxCare...so far so good...I can't believe that I'm doin all the stuff I'm doing...I went from couch potato...eating my daily ration of choco flavored treats to "workout beast woman!" It's great though...I'm on a 21 day program and will be posting on the weekly chat section every day my results...if the program works out the way it's supposed to...I'll pretty much look like "Cory Everson" (famous bodybuilder from the 80's...by the end of my 21 days. If not...at least I'll get into tremendous shape! Thanks again everyone...Joyce
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #12  

Good for you groovy one! I don't find the Chocoperfection bars to be waxy either but I'm not a big sweets afficiando so you can't count on me for gourmet input. Since today is beginning of TOM I actually brought one of the squares of one of DH's bars to work with me in my lunch so I will give it a try to see if my tastebuds are telling a different story from when I sampled before. I think they have milk chocolate ones at the actual Chocoperfection site don't they?

SC
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #13  
banned

SIC - Yeah...they do have the milk chocolate, but I've heard it's not as good as the dark chocolate...so that's why I bought them! For one thing...they do satisfy my urge for chocolate, which BTW has been hightened since I too am in PMS...raging! Probably why all the hornball posts!!! Hee hee! Have a great day!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #14  
banned

Just an ad-lib...I agree about the "gas" thing. The first day I ate 1/2 bar...and not all at once...spread out throughout the day....and worst, fowl smelling thing came out of me....I thought something died in the house! On a good note...my 8 yr old is totally into fart jokes and that sort of thing...so, we were running around the house just havin' a ball! hee hee! Sorry if that grosses anyone out!...but I'm really not that offended by the gas...it's my own...for goodness sake! And the candy taste really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Just to add about the gas + Chocoperfection issue. I believe she uses both Oligofructose (chicory root fiber) and Erithrytol as a sweetner, but primarily Oligofructose. There is a LOT of fiber in one of those bars--I want to say 25g or so? I also bought a bag of "Sweet Perfection" (Oligofructose) with the chocolate and found that too much of that in anything also produces a gassy effect. It's sweet like cotton candy and full of fiber (the Oligofructose), but I suspect that was the reason for my gastrointestinal objection.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #15  

Joyce: I bet it was not as bad as the gas that keeps coming out of my rotund cocker spaniel. I found out what has been getting her going. SHE LOVES SOY MILK. I rarely finish my soy latte and in the morning and yesterday I caught her up on the couch with her snoot in a cold cup of soy latte lapping away. Stone cold busted. Within 10 minutes after her refreshing beverage she was ripping in a whole different way than you are ripping.

SC