Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #31  

Hi,
Late check in for me. Aud, thanks for asking about the keystix. I think they are about three years old, but I was wondering why they had an expiration date in the first place. I thought they might be O.K.
Today I got the "key-taste" which I'm sure means I have the "Key-breath" but that means I should be in Key-tosis so that's good news for me. I had a left over pork chop for breakfast and only one little slice of cheese with my lunch salad so I'm being good. Except for the diet coke, oops.
Sorry to hear about your toothache. Ouch!!
And Alie, sorry your dad's sick. Sounds terrible.
We tried kick boxing in my step class a while ago and I couldn't do it. It's just too hard. It's also pretty high impact and I worry about hurting myself, but I can see how it would be fun. I've been doing the step class for two years now and I love it. Great teacher and it feels like dancing. I tell people all the time that I'm not a "class" kind of person. For years I did the stair master or an eliptical with a book opened in front of me. I'm not completely anti-social, but I thought I only liked exercising alone. The step class ended up being perfect for me, so the moral of the story is "try everything once!"
Just got off the phone with DH. No kids home for dinner tonight and he wants to eat on the boat (we live on a lake). I'm trying to think of something I can buy ready made that fits induction. Rotiseirre chicken just doesn't sound that good although that's probably what we'll end up with.
This Low Carb thing does simplify my menus. The bottom drawer of my frig is almost empty now. I used to buy lots of veggies (although lots of time I never got around to cooking them). Now I have lettuce in the crisper and a cucumber and a red onion in the drawer. Surprisingly the family has not been that upset by the lack of veggies. I usually make them a package of rice or noodles and they think that counts. I only feel a little guilty about their terrible diet. I guess if one of them comes down with scruvy I'll feel worse.
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #32  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Ok Ladies,
Man I was really sleepy. I did do some cleaning today and what not. I didnt start today. I dont know why buy all i could stomach was some soup. Prolly the meds that I am on. I feel you AUD I have been in Codine land for the last 2 weeks I hate the feeling but man I havent had sleep that well in a long time. But I have been weening myself off of it. Hopefully I will feel better enough to start tomorrow, but i am not gonna rush it and make myself feel worse. I am sad that though that i didnt get to start. I am so ready to see the results and watch the pounds go. Well I need to get ready for work. Talk to yall later.
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #33  

Thanks for all the kind words! You guys are the BEST!!

Aud... so sorry about your tooth, I know how horrible that is. Hang in there.

Thanks for the warm welcome BB! I am glad your DH is doing so well. My dad was stage 4 colon cancer with multiple tumors thoughout his body 4 yrs ago. Chemo shrunk the tumors, but he lives knowing he has cancer and they can't cure him. Just thankful for the extra time he gets with us, and the chemo is what helps him extend his life.

Robin, I noticed your location is WNY... I grew up in Delevan, NY which is south of Buffalo (near Springville/Arcade area). Hang in there with your plan. You can do this! Stay positive. Making life changes is not easy, but we're here for you!!!
alie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #34  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Aud, you are clearly a in a vico-fog I got a little taste of "I love you, man" in your post! I hope you're recovering from today's procedure and I hope your root canal will be taken care of soon!! I've only HEARD about those...and I never want to have to go through one! My dad hates how Novocaine feels and he went WITHOUT for his root canal O.O He's crazy.

BB, there are SO many "hidden" carbs in foods...I'm staying
as far away from any food that isn't "whole" as possible this time around. That way, I know EXACTLY what I'm eating and EXACTLY what's in it. I guess in order to be successful, we have to be a little OCD in the beginning.

For Auddie and BB-- About Cardio Kickboxing

I actually went to a class tonight taught by a different instructor. They have different styles, so I'll try to talk about it in a general way! Basically, you learn punching and kicking moves (ever see Billy Blanks?) against an "imaginary" partner. The room we do it in is mirrored on every wall--you usually pick a target to punch at (I use my face in the mirror). To keep the heart rate up we do a kinda jumping shuffle between moves, punch and kick hard. She incorporates jumping jacks, shuffling forward and backward...things like that. There's high-energy music pumpin' in the background and she just keeps your heart rate UP!

I wear a heart rate monitor. For my Tues/Thurs instructor (I prefer her), my heart rate is usually 170-180 for most of the class.

Tonight, the class was almost like extended intervals--she did really intense moves followed by some non-intense moves. So my heart rate went up and down. I definitely approve of intervals! But her music/personality wasn't as motivating for me My heart rate was around 145 during the "low intensity" bits and up around 170-180 during the "high-intensity" parts.

During the hour-long Tues/Thurs class I usually burn about 650 calories. Tonight in the 1.5 hour cardio kick (with the other instructor) I burned 800.

Were those too many numbers?

Last edited by Azure; 10-10-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #35  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning <~~~second cup

Hi Alie, Ive been thru springville many times, it so pretty there this time of year. Im in North Buffalo...been here about 6 yrs now.

Im ok today I went to a meeting last night, and felt wonderfully calm after it. Made the evening very easy to pass without fear of the cravings or wanting to snack.

Today is another day.....and I can do this

Have a great day ladies!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #36  

HA! Auddie - You know I'm out here everyday doing my morning coffee read with you guys. That has been my routine for years now!

I love how this group has grown right now. People come and go but it is almost always filled with such interesting, caring individuals. I have to say that it really does keep my faith up in humanity that there is some many good people in the world! (ok - that was kinda deep for a Wednesday morning...)

I'm doing ok. I'll be 48 in a week and I'm kicking myself that I'll be launching into a new year closer to 160 than 150. And I DO know that _I_ am the only one that can do anything about that. GOTTA get my crap together here and get on the stick (or at least the treadmill - THAT would help!)

My oldest will be 21 on Friday and to celebrate she and her boyfriend (the Ninja) are taking me to Las Vegas for Sunday - Tuesday! I've never been so it should be great fun! I've been scanning my closet for 'ho wear' since I've got to blend in with the natives, right? No? My boyfriend (still my Superman) can't go cuz of work. I'm bummed about that but dealing with it.

I better run: High fives to all of you OP and losing. Prayers and healing vibes to all of you in need. And a big smile and cyber hug to everyone for just, ya know, being here!

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #37  
It's my perogative!

Hi ladies. Ok I am starting today. I am fixing to go make myself some eggs and sausage. YUM! Be back soon
Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #38  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

We trying to call the doctor for a follow up on what happened to us over the weekend,and guess what. We can't get a hold of the doctor.He was supposed to be in his office at 9AM but now its 9:45 and no doctor. Only the answering service.
Oh well there always tomorrow.

It looks like it going to down pour again,so no walking for us,I have to rely on my bike or walking tapes this afternoon. Going grocery shopping and I'm thinking back to low carbing again. I eating too much rye bread lately and luckliy the numbers on the scale are holding steady,but need to move the #'s downward.

Have to go, will post later go to have my dinner now

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #39  

Hi, I was so happy about being in (suspected) Ketosis yesterday I had myself a little cheese fest and wrecked it. I guess it was the cheese. We did eat on the boat last night and I bought hot wings and some corned beef. I only ate a little corned beef because I read the package (after I bought it unfortunately) and saw one gram of carb. But I was hungry last night and kept going back to the frig for a slice of cheese-too many times I think.

Cheese is the only real snack thing I've been eating. I'm trying to avoid veggies, except my one salad a day. At home I can sometimes find some leftovers to snack on-cold pork chops or something, but when I'm out I haven't been eating anything except the occasional cheese stick. Seems like that should be O.K., but I'm really not losing. I've been at the same weight for a week and a half - eating mostly induction level. It's been almost a month since I've had anything sweet, or any bread or a beer. So I'm at the point where I really need a reward like a nice weight drop. In my hundreds of diets over the years, this is where I give up. When it seems like I'm denying myself for nothing.

Also, I'm not getting a lot of support from DH. He's got the "Oh yeah, you're doing that diet thing" attitude. Constantly suggesting places to go and things to do that really are not going to be conducive to my staying OP. We were invited to go with good friends to an October fest weekend. I know my limits. I know that going to a place where the entire point is to drink lots of different kinds of beer and abstaining isn't going to happen. But DH really wants to go and isn't above using the guilt card on me.
So that's my whining for today. Thanks for listening.

You guys almost have me inspired to try another kick boxing class. Actually today's exercise is probably going to be a walk around the soccer field while my younger DD is refereeing a game. She'll need a ride from there to dance class. I could make a career out of driving her around!!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #40  
It's my perogative!

Ok so today is my first day on induction and I can already feel the carb withdraw. This is such a yucky feeling. I think I am going to go and take a nap to try and pass the time.

Hey Lynnar, Just curious as to why you are trying to avoid veggies and only stick to cheese? Veggies are a good source of fiber and you know what fiber makes you do.... Have you tried laying off the cheese a bit and uping the veggies?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #41  

ILM4A,
Yeah, I know it sounds odd to avoid veggies, but my goal was to stay way down in carbs. I've done induction before and used the key sticks (which I haven't done this time). My former experience showed that to get the positive reading, I had to stay very low. In fact, the last time I didn't eat any salads or any veggies at all which is how I know very well what veggies make you do. I don't want that experience again so I thought I would limit it to one salad-about 6 grams of carbs. I never thought to "replace" veggies with cheese- it's just that I like cheese and it's so convenient to snack on. But I realize that there are some carbs in there and I think that's the problem.

I just don't know what else I can grab from the frig when I need something. Lunch meat isn't good either and you can only eat so much left over grilled chicken breast or pork chops!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #42  
beachbum

Hi I'm back again,finding that switching the meals around is working when it come to not be bloated or having heartburn at night.

As fas as the scale is concerned,the weight is still coming off SLOWLY.

Alie-You've come to a very supportive board,weight wise and just plain life matters.

Azure-I know what you mean about hidden calories. That why I need a very good carb counting book,to use when making up my menu for the week.I found a hidden carb calculator a while back,but I don't remember which low carb web site it was on.UMM!!Kick boxing maybe I try to do something like that at home. Even if it not the exact exercise I could improvise with some peppy music. Thanks

ROBIN-I agree you can do it,I have fate in you

ilovemike-Sending some so you will succeed.

LYNN-Be care of cheese it can bring the #'s up on the scale. I agree with ILM You should up your veggies instead. I use pickles and olives for snacking,both low on carbs.

Have a nice day

Hugs BB

Last edited by beach bum; 10-11-2007 at 05:59 PM.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Lynn,
There are carbs in cheese? I have never had any cheese that had carbs in it. What kinds of cheese do you eat?
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #44  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Lynn,
There are carbs in cheese? I have never had any cheese that had carbs in it. What kinds of cheese do you eat?
All cheese has some carbohydrate--softer cheeses more than harder cheeses. Processed cheeses often have carbs, too. However, if the carb amount is less than .9 of a gram, the companies don't HAVE to list the carb content on the packaging.

Atkins suggests counting each ounce of cheese as 1 gram of carbohydrate and not to eat more than 4oz/day.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
All cheese has some carbohydrate--softer cheeses more than harder cheeses. Processed cheeses often have carbs, too. However, if the carb amount is less than .9 of a gram, the companies don't HAVE to list the carb content on the packaging.

Atkins suggests counting each ounce of cheese as 1 gram of carbohydrate and not to eat more than 4oz/day.
Wow, Azure, I had NO idea. Thanks for educating me about this! I knew that I could only have 4oz of cheese a day - but I wasnt aware of the trace amounts of carbs in cheeses. I had some low fat gouda earler, and I just looked it up and it has .6 carbs per oz! It's a crime that companies aren't forced to list that
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote