Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #1  

Default Kidney problems

About a week and a half I started a low carb diet so I started eating more protein but also a lot of veggies. I ended up in the hospital last night with a horrible kidney infection and bladder infection. Anyone know if the diet could be a cause of these kind of illnesses? I have an appt with my primary Dr Thursday I'll see what she has to say but I think it's kinda of a weird coincidence. Thanks for any answers.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 AM   #2  
LC Rooster

Well, I hate to say "told you so," but if you read pretty much anything on Atkins it's full of warnings about pre-existing kidney conditions and having a full checkout by a doctor before starting. Granted, most of us (myself included) didn't get checked out, we're just lucky we didn't have problems.

Going into ketosis puts a lot of extra strain on the kidneys. I doubt your condition is too uncommon among people going low-carb.

You are right though that it could be coincidence. Just go by what your doctor says on how to proceed!

Best wishes on you getting better soon!
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Dr. Atkins has an entire part of his book about the kidneys and a ketogenic diet. If there is a pre-existing problem with the kidneys, being in ketosis could cause extra strain on them. However, if there isn't a pre-existing problem, it shouldn't effect a healthy person's kidneys. He also doesn't mention anything about a bladder infection. It is a common misconception that ketosis = kidney stones and other kidney issues. If a healthy person follows the diet the way it's outlined in the book (ie: vegetables, protein, plenty of fats and drinking LOTS OF WATER), it shouldn't cause any kidney issues.

And seriously, BradH--what's with "I told you so"?? Doesn't seem like very kind response, considering.

But regardless, I would talk with your doctor to see how to proceed. Just keep in mind that doctors seem to have prejudices against low carb diets--especially Atkins. Ultimately, I think you need to do what's going to be best for your body. My body feels fantastic while in ketosis, but we're all individuals.

I hope you start feeling better and that you get to the bottom of what did cause those infections.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

No advice, I don't do atkins. Hope you get better soon though!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 AM   #5  
LC Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
And seriously, BradH--what's with "I told you so"?? Doesn't seem like very kind response, considering.
Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to come out like it sounded. It was mostly my own thoughts of listening to people give me the usual talk about how dangerous Atkins could be when I originally did it. The kidney issue is really the only serious argument, but is drilled into you in the books.

But, you are right, my comment came out sounding completely insensitive and condecending, and that wasn't intended at all!
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to come out like it sounded. It was mostly my own thoughts of listening to people give me the usual talk about how dangerous Atkins could be when I originally did it. The kidney issue is really the only serious argument, but is drilled into you in the books.

But, you are right, my comment came out sounding completely insensitive and condecending, and that wasn't intended at all!

I'm glad that you didn't mean it that way, thank you for clarifying
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Kidney infections and bladder infections are caused by bacteria. Try googling
for loads of good information.Drinking LOTS of water helps and for bladder infections cranberry juice is proven to be helpful. I have tested the cranberry juice myself and always keep it on hand.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Drinking LOTS of water helps and for bladder infections cranberry juice is proven to be helpful. I have tested the cranberry juice myself and always keep it on hand.
Just remember, if you are going to drink cranberry juice...the commercial brands you buy in a supermarket usually contain sugar. Go to a health food store for a natural one that does not contain any sugar or anything artificial. They also have cranberry capsules available you can take.

All the best to you!!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #9  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I remember reading about strain on the kidneys and the precaution to drink LOTS of water . . . but nothing about infection and certainly not the bladder being involved.

Hope you'll Post when you are better - I'd also love to know what your Doc says about this. Some are very prejudiced about Atkins/lc.

I think it's mainly because they don't understand the science of it. I remember when I was studying to be a registered dietitian being amazed to learn that medical docs are only required to have 6 credit hours of some kind of "nutrition" class!!!!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

OK I did not even read the rest but the first two posts. I can not believe that any one would suspect an INFECTION can be caused by protien. Did the diet also cause the bladder infection too??? NOT

You must have had a pre exhisting infection that you were not aware of and it just flaired up no matter what diet you would have been eating including pure sugar diet it would have flaired up into an infection that sent you to the hospital. I have never had an infection or kidney problems being onlow carb. I am not going to say that you do not need to watch your kidneys but like the girls said drink and flush out the kidneys. you can buy cranbery pills that will acidify your urine so you do not have to drink the juice. (I could not even drink a glass ifyou forced me to) but primary is to drink huge amounts of water atleast 1/2 oz for each lb you weigh.

and yes now I did read the rest of the posts, and I am sorry Brad that you came out with that responce, it is so easy to succumb to pressure of what people are saying, I do not know how you feel when you are if full LC but I feel great and have never been healthier in my life. I have gotten the doctors full blessings when I am going about it right.

You must drink
take your necessary supplements,
and eat plenty of vegies.
take protien enough to maintain your body's requirement to maintain your muscle mass.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote