Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #16  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Aud, 2lbs is awesome Woo Hoooo! Keep it up.

Rocknroll, Hi. I'm sure the 2lbs is just water due to TOM.
Have you read the atkins book? I'm not sure what the website is like but acording to the book you shouldnt have the lc bread, carrots or hummus for the first two weeks. However a lot of people dont follow the plan that strictly and still have lots of success. I personaly dont think the small servings of raw carrots or hummus would be bad, but I would avoid the lc breads and bars etc.. I eat LC yogurt and I know lots of the others do too.
As for the sticks I'v never even tried them.
I dont pay any attention to my pecentages, I just stick to 20-30 grams net carbs. Good luck!
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Thanks! I could cut down my hummus to 1 tbs to save carbs

The website says that some people choose to add bread and it also has a Wasa High Fiber cracker on the first day of an induction menu. I thought that was a little fishy so I had to check!

I will have to buy some slow carb yogurt because the only kind I have right now is dannon light and fit!

Thanks again- I am off to the gym
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #18  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Hey guys!! I know I jumped into the boards last week but I was not sure if I should low carb or not. Well, I know its a mixture of entering phase two of south beach and having my TOM but I am up 2 pounds and I just don't feel that good about myself.

So, I started atkins today. I slept in because I had a crazy night last night so I did not breakfast. I just ate a can of light chunk tuna with kraft light mayo (1 tbs) and 1 cup of spinach. I hope I can do this right and eat enough fats to burn up all this weight.

My snack today is cucumber, carrot, and hummus. This takes up a lot of my daily carbs- (11 net carbs to be exact). Are these three foods ok to eat? Its half a serving of baby carrots, 1 cup cucumber, andn 2 tbs hummus. Its the hummus I am not sure about. I just wanted to check on that!

Oh, also is it required to use those ketosis sticks?

Oops a couple more questions! I read on the atkins diet site that you can have low carb bread on induction- do any of you actually do that? What percentages do you hit on an average day? Protein, fat, carbs? And finally- do you eat dannon low carb yogurT?
Well, I think only you can know if you can stick to an Atkins way of doing Low Carb. Personally, I'm SO glad I decided to do it--and three weeks in, I'm feeling fantastic (dropping 13lbs in 3 weeks kinda helped, too ).

I'm not sure about the hummus, but I know carrots are really a no-no on Induction (Phase I) of Atkins. I would check the list given in the book--and go by what the "acceptable" foods list says, sticking to the recommended quantities for veggie servings.

As far as having Low Carb Atkins Bread, or any of those Atkins bars/shakes, I would suggest staying away from them. They're loaded with "hidden" sugar alcohols from what I read (in the form of glycerin)--and Atkins himself has a whole chapter in his book dedicated to the dangers of sugar alcohols and how they can inhibit weight loss progress.

I would say, stick to Atkins by-the-book for induction, and then if you feel you need the yogurt or a slice of LC bread during the OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) phase, then treat yourself--but figure them into the daily carb count. There are others who are more experienced than I am on this board, so I'm sure they'll chime in, too--that's just my opinion.

Also, don't be afraid of fat! Fat/Protein fill us up and keep us satisfied for longer...if you're ever feeling hungry, you're not doing what Dr. Atkins suggested to do! Eat when you're hungry, until you're satisfied--and eat delicious full-fat foods. You can have the butter, the olive oil and red meat if you want it--you can have the full-fat cheese! It's not about deprivation on Atkins...I know after trying a "low calorie, high carb" approach for about a year, I was SO afraid of eating full-fat foods. But don't worry about them--they make you full and you won't eat as much as a result.

Did I just ramble a little? I'm sorry I wish you luck on Atkins--and I'm sure the other ladies will chime in shortly!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #19  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Just looked at your CW & Goal, r&r-WOW! Bet you'll be to Goal in no time on Atkins! Just like puncez said - lots of different people have had lots of different types of success tweaking the Atkins system to fit their lives and habits. I think lilyb even incorporated fruit at times.

Here's my take and what I would do if I were at your weight:

Follow Induction closely - which for me means lower than 20 TOTAL carb grams per day.

I get into major trouble if I start eating LC Breads and "Energy Bars" - LC candies etc. Major stall and I'm convinced full of hidden carbs and not so hidden chemicals. Think whole unprocessed yummy food.

This will put you into ketosis - I've never done the sticks but judge by my dry mouth.

Drink tons of water. Or gallons.

The whole "net" carb thing is something for me to figure out after I get to goal - any time I've tried to incorporate in OGWL = disaster. TOTAL carb count - with those coming from yummy veggies is the route to take, I say!

Bring on the buttered veggies!!!

LOL!

Speaking of Dancing Carrots - I agree that I'd skip the carrots (and corn and peas) unless nothing else is available. Hummus and any other beans are for later on as well- (but a better choice than the cheeezygarlicbreadtacopie I chose at 4:30am the other nite!LOL!)

ETA: Hi azure! I'm sure you will be at goal in no time too, as well! Congrats in advance! Not sure if all areas have Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Yogurts (formerly Carb Freedom, I think) - they are creamy delish and have 3-5 carbs TOTAL. Also would add to read labelslabelslabels for TOTALtotaltotal carbs per serving.

Last edited by aud; 07-24-2007 at 02:37 PM.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #20  

AUD- yay! I'm glad your on this board!! The Chicks in Control topic can be a little emotional at times so I am looking forward to getting to know you keeping all of our 'issues' aside!

Thanks for all the responses everyone- I am eating my snack which has been changed from carrots and hummus to cucumbers and laughing cow cheese

Do you really think I will hit my goal fast on Atkins? Because that would be wonderful!! Mini goal or big picture goal?

-wow, I have been eating my cucumbers and laughing cow as I typed this and it is FANTASTIC! I mean really, its better than hummus!
I had a feeling the bread was a big no no but its so hard to tell these days! I am still going to buy a low carb yogurt just because I love yogurt and I need some sort of dairy (i have calcium pills but they are massive!)

My workout was 45 minutes on the elliptical and 120 calories on the stair stepper. But, I forgot that I promised my brother that i would play tennis with him at 4:45 so I looked it up and 60 minutes of casual tennis burns over 500 calories- boy I am going to be dead!

Done rambling
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #21  

Hey, Aud! Nice to see you back! Yeah, I'm still lurking around here - you'd think I have an addictive personality or something, huh? (Shut up)

No much new - hot summer here so I've been doing a bit of swimming pool exercise as often as I can (or when I can sneak it in inbetween the hords of teenagers that have set up camp here!). Superman is still super. (almost a year now!) Daughter is senior at art college, middle child (son) a freshman at our local university (mechanical engineering - where the heck did HE come from?), and youngest (son) is a senior in high school. Everyone please cross, fingers, toes, eyes, etc. and say a little prayer that he will get passing grades this year and be able to walk the graduation stage with the rest of his class. SH is still SH and has now sufficently pissed off the boys so they haven't been seeing him lately (can't blame any of it on me but of course he is)

But, yeah, I still read here like I have for many years. I have kept many LC eating habits but sugar carbs are my downfall. I just need to cut them cold turkey! Yes! That is what I NEED to do! HA

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #22  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Ms. Spotdog, good to see you posting. I'm glad your Superman is still working great. I now have my 15 yr. old SD living with us. Her and my DD will be sophomores in high school this yr. They get along great usually 75% of the time. It's that other 25% when I could swear they are completely Evil. LOL. Ill keep my fingers and toes crossed for your son. Been there done that with my son. Now he kicks himself in the butt for not trying harder. He has really done great and sailed through promotions in the Army, but I got a lot of gray hairs seeing him through high school. He was the little jokester/prankster that was dang cute and just never gave out the effort that he should have.

Aud, I did incorporate a lot of fruit from the very beginning on Atkins. It didn't seem to hurt me and it did take care of my craving for sweets. I didn't use much bananas or apples (just thought that would be cheating, LOL) but ate tons of watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries and fresh pineapple. But, I was really strict about leaving alone the potaoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar, flour and salt so it all balanced out. Actually the SF candies (full of sugar alcohols) caused more problems for me than the fruit did. Also, would stall with the dang breakfast bars and shakes. If I ever have a need to lose weight again, I'd do it the same way as I did this time. It worked.

Azure, WTG on the 13 lbs. that is awesome.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #23  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
The website says that some people choose to add bread and it also has a Wasa High Fiber cracker on the first day of an induction menu. I thought that was a little fishy so I had to check!

I will have to buy some slow carb yogurt because the only kind I have right now is dannon light and fit!
Unfortunately, that website has changed SO much since Dr. Atkins death There are many contradictions....the main one being the rules of Induction tell you to eat ABSOLUTELY NO BREAD....then you go to the Induction sample menu's and they tell you its perfectly ok to eat low carb bread & wasa crackers, tortilla's & waffles!!! Eating Atkins bars & drinking Atkins shakes are both also advocated as well. But...think about it, the bars lure a lot of people in by stating 2 or 3 net carbs on the front wrapper & 0 grams of sugar alcohols. Have you ever tried to figure out how they conclude 2 or 3 net carbs?? Its total carbs minus fiber....AND....they deduct glycerin....which IS a sugar alcohol!!! Very misleading, especially for newbies to Atkins. Just Atkins Nutritionals way of making $$$!!

As for yogurt, I incorporated it when I began OWL. I eat it everyday for breakfast....Dannon Light & Fit low carb/low sugar. As an occasional treat, I have Fage Greek yogurt....which, if you've never tried greek yogurt, is to die for!!! I mix it with a little DaVinci's syrup a few blueberries and a sprinkle of toasted, ground almonds. Pure heaven!!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #24  

I lost 1.6 pounds on my first day

I accidently let it slip to my mom that I was counting carbs and she got a little angry at me because she thinks its healthy. i told her 'No Mom its not atkins, I eat a ton of vegetables' She let out a giant sigh of relief.

i guess people don't realize how healthy you can be on it? I don't eat red meat but it works for me so far!

So, for breakfast I had .5 a cup of egg beaters and 2 slices of turkey bacon- tasty!

Kim- Thanks for the input, Congrats on your weight loss you did an amazing job! No bread for me! Umm no bars either because those just seem fishy!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #25  
aud
lc lifestyle

So glad you're still reading along ms.sdog and plz know that I've got my eyes and complete body crossed for your Baby as a Senior in HS! Kndi of hrda to Psto this wya!

*Uncrossing eyes*

HURRAH for a year of SuperMan! Bring ON the Dancing Carrot! Just saw my 32 yr old CA neph - who originally was on an athletic scholarship/engineer and who broke My Big Sis's heart a few years back switchin' to Art Major - HE'S DOING FABOO! Commercial Success and Oh So Talented. Will dig up his website sometime - just amazing so Right On Right On for ms.spDDArtMajor!

okokok . . . too much babbling . . . lilyb, I just love when you Post hints about your success - have never tried Fruit in the beginning stages of Atkins and must remember to try it next time the late-nights get me in their evil grasp!

R&R - love your "Atkins IS Healthy" siggie by your avatar (Is that your stomach or back??? - whichever looks FIT!) - and yes, getting to Total goal will be very attainable for both you and azure from where I'm looking here at 238 PoundARonies!

ITA that its a dayum shame what "they've" done to Atkins since his death - jerseygyrl! If ONE more person tells me the Dr. died from a heart attack and/or stroke . . . well let's just say, it won't be pretty!

QuickNote: I was under the care of a cardiologist who was adamantly AGAINST Atkins about 5 yrs ago - and I admit, I wasn't on a Healthy Veggie Groove at the time - mainly living on bacon eggs and barb-q and beer . . . anyhoo - he monitored me/blood work the entire time - became a believer and went on it HIMSELF after watching my Total Cholesterol go from something like 237 to 177 in 4 months! My "BAD" plummeted along with the triglycerides - and my "GOOD" skyrocketed!!! This time around I'm on a more "balanced" approach with emphasis on fish/chicken/veggies - age and menopause being a factor for me - also concentrating on EXERCISE and WATER this time around - but comforted by the knowledge that I CAN succeed doing it "wrong" or right. LOL!

Would NEVER succeed if I followed the current "advice" on the Atkins Website.

ttyal!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #26  

Aud- Thanks, its my tummy! I took a photo to show off my tattoo to some friends and it cuts off right by the belly button! I can't wait to hit my total goal, it will feel wonderful and I will be able to wear ALL of the clothes I own! (my 2's and 4's are gathering up dust!)

congrats on your blood work! Thats really amazing

Well, I just got back from my workout and I was a little afraid to go because I have been dizzy all day BUT I created an energy-ish drink. I took 32 oz of water, put it in a water bottle, mixed in a Crystal Light Strawberry Energy packet and a Crystal Light with Potassium packet, and drank! I am no longer dizzy and I have so much more energy! I read on an atkins forum where some people drink crystal light and others dont... I figure its good and I have 500 boxes in my pantry that should not go to waste (more like 30 boxes... I stock up on buy one get one weeks )

and because i love him, the dancing carrot:
Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #27  
aud
lc lifestyle

Happy Thursday All! (I was just crushed to find out its Thursday after happily thinking it was Friday all morning!)

Still OP (had the Snack of Champions @ 4am this morning: Cauli-Mash!!!)

Hope everyone is doing good - ttyal!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #28  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

They have crystal lite w/potassium and energy. Are they sweetened with splenda?

Hi, I'm having a lot more cravings today as its TOM, tempted to eat a bunch of crap and crawl back into bed. I havent been sleeping well lately and I dont know why, the more tired I am the more I want to eat junk. I'm going to my parents again on August 5th for two weeks so I am realy hoping to be well under 190 before then, they eat so much crap it's very hard to stay OP when I'm there. After that I have to go to see the inlaws for a week, they are having a huge 40th aniversary party and ther will be lots of their relatives I havent met yet (I am not looking forward to this) so maybee I'm a little stressed.

I hope everyone's having a great day!
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #29  

they are sweetened with aspartame... it doesnt effect me at all but I know everyone is different
Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #30  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

sitting here feeling slightly well actually very distressed as my scale has not moved in 2 weeks and I have been purple on the dip stick scale. But I know what I tell every one else the whoosh will come I just wish it would get here soon. I am getting discouraged fast. I will say that my hips are looking smaller, (clothes are slightly looser but when you are my size looser is significant.)

Spotted dog hey wishes and prayers sent your way. and please send them back for my son for the next 4 years, I do not think that the boy will finish 2 of them. I must have missed the superman thing????

Pun I have the energy and was drinking them regularly this vacation, sweetened with aspertame. sorry maybe that is the reason I stalled. though that had never stalled me before.

AUD great with the mash cali for snack. I need to make tham but never have enough left over to even mash!!!
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote