Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #1  

Question Do You Have A Food Scale?

I'm wanting to get one but I don't know if there's a particular brand better than another. I really like some of the ones on eBay that are glass and come with a bowl. They're pretty cheap too.

Anyways, I need something because I've been guessing on ounces and I'm probably waaaaaay off.

Any tips? Also, should I order one off eBay or should I check WalMart for the cool digital ones to see if they're cheaper?

TIA!
FatBeGoneNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #2  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I have a scale, I got it from Target. $6.00
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #3  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Yeah, I just have one of those cheapy ones from Wal-Mart. I think it was on clearance for $2 or $3.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #4  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

Your post made me chuckle a bit, but only because I was trying to decide on a kitchen scale a month or so ago. I thought I wanted a cool digital one, but ended up getting a cheapy one from Walmart. I LOVE IT. It's small and unobtrusive on my counter. I like that I can either use the bowl that it came with (which conveniently fits right over the top like a cover when its not in use) or any other container to measure with. The recalibration is super easy and good for when you are adding things together, but wanting a seperate measurement for each. Did I mention I really like it - oh and it was less than $10!
tinabinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/210/145

Height: 5'8"

After spending weeks chkn amazon / ebay I ended up just getting a cheap one from meijers lol

It ran about 6 bucks and had the bowl that could be flipped over to cover it like the one tinabinab described.

Works great and takes up no space -)
CurveyKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Once I bought my digital food scale about six years ago, I will never go back to the cheap ones. The brand is Terraillon. I can weigh in ounces or grams. Actually, I tend to measure in grams because it's easier to get a more accurate weight. It's actually pretty small... it's about as round as a CD and maybe two inches tall.

Here's a link to the exact scale that I have...
http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/sto...y=59&item=1389

Maybe it's a little wider than a CD.. but it doesn't seem to be very big.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a cheapie one that I got from Bed Bath & Beyond for $5. It gets the job done, but the bowl is way too small and it's not very stable, so I'm always knocking it off and spilling food all over the place. I would look for a scale with a decent sized bowl and a nice stable base for it to sit on.

I use my scale at almost every meal; when I'm not using it, it is in the dish drying rack so having the bowl be able to serve as cover wouldn't be that important to me. It actually came with a cover that I have never used.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I have a digital one very similar to what Kimberly has. I use to have a cheapie spring-loaded scale, and that worked too, but it wasn't as accurate. Definitely worked for me at the time, I just wanted to upgrade.

The thing I love about my digital scale is that you can put whatever dish you want on top of it, then turn it on, and it calibrates to 0 ounces/grams. Before I used to have to transfer to another bin to weigh stuff, or else figure out how much the bowl weighed and subtract it. Way too complicated!

Tangentially related, he other cool kitchen gadget I have is a little quarter-cup measuring cup, that measures at 1 tablespoon intervals. It's one of those designed so that you can see the measurement looking down into it, and don't have to crouch down and squint at the side at eye level. I got it strictly for measuring out 2T servings of salad dressing, as eyeballing it tends to lead to more than 2T.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #9  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I don't have one, but I wish I did.... and I know the one I would buy as well!!!

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9811

SALTER Nutri-weigh Dietary Computer Scale

Analyses the nutritional content of your food by portion size.
Calculates the calories, protein, carbohydrate, total sugars, total fat, fibre, sodium, cholesterol, net carbohydrates & G.I value of your food on a large LCD display.
The database stores the nutritional values of over 1430 foods and memorizes in additional 100 foods/recipes of your choice!
Automatic predictive text feature for quick and easy onscreen food search.
2 user memory.
Removable stainless steel cover, resistant to staining/carry over flavors and easy to clean.
Can also be used as a conventional scale.
Add & weigh feature enables you to weigh all your ingredients in one bowl.
Allows you to record your daily food intake and to set your own dietary goals, then review your progress at any time.
Switch to select either UK or US food list as preferred
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

Height: 5'9

I love that scale amanda. I weigh everything and so do my kids. I have a digital one too. I have to put that scale on my wish list.
channning102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/174.8/132

Height: 5' 4"

I have both digital and non-digital and when ones dirty I use the other. The digital was around $20 and the non-digital was $3. They both work great, but now tend to love the digital one more because I can use any plate or dish to zero it and weigh on it and it uses ounces or grams. Some servings use grams versus ounces and I find it more convenient.
loveandlaughalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #12  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

I have one that my sister got for me when she went to LAWL and I think it cost $7, but it works well.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I couldn't live without mine -- it's a little cheapo model but it does the trick! The best part for me is when I guesstimate the weight of the food - and I'm right I love being right...I mean, I love being mindful of my health *tee hee*
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #14  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I want to get one!

but how do you take into consideration the weight of the bowl?
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/174.8/132

you zero the bowl or plate first then add your food.
loveandlaughalways is offline   Reply With Quote