Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #1  

Default Lunch Ideas??

Does anyone know of any good lunch ideas, im getting tired of the same old thing and need to revamp.
i eat at work have access to a fridge and microwave so any input would be great, also if you know of any great and fast recipe cookbooks
im also not a big veggie eater i mainly like onions, mushrooms and not much else...
and i dont like to use the frozen meals like lean cuisine because they are usually loaded with sodium and i like to stay away from too much processed stuff like that.
Thanks!
baswed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #2  

I have been on a baked potato kick lately - only a few minutes in the microwave - load it up with fat free sour cream and low fat cheese and you are ready to go!
scrapbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

What is your "usual" lunch that you're tired of?

You might want to think about bringing leftovers! I esp like to bring soup in the winter, or rice and beans...

What about a small salad?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #4  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Oh I love baked Spuds!!!! I usually put salsa on them as well, for some spice, and it is sooooooo good!!! Now you got me craving one!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #5  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

If you can get a little portable packet of mayo (not sure if they come in fat-free or lo cal versions) (maybe at the deli section of your supermarket) and a packet of relish, you can make a portable egg salad. Take into work the following: hard boiled egg, whole wheat low-fat/low carb pita or tortilla and your little condiment packets. When ready to eat, just chop up the egg, mix with the condiments, spread on the tortilla, roll and go.

Those portable tuna lunch-on-the-go packages are good, too and not too much sodium.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I put fat free cottage cheese on baked potatos but wouldn't salsa be good on the whole thing? Yum!

If you have a microwave, you can have breakfast for lunch. Oatmeal, yogurt and fruit.

Hi there Wyllen! I've missed you!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #7  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Another idea is I get those frozen Burritos from the grocery store and keep some in my freezer heat them for 2 minutes and there's lunch.
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #8  

on sundays i'll mix up a batch of egg salad, tuna salad (sub lf yogurt or miso mayo for reg mayo to cut fat/cals), or hummus. that gives me something to make sandwiches or wraps with all week-- get some sprouted bread or whole wheat wraps and you're good to go. toss in a piece of fruit and that's lunch!
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #9  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I hadn't thought of a good baked potato in a long time! That sounds really good with my FF cottage cheese and veggie sticks.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My favorite thing right now is a chicken salad I copied from a recipe. I start with about 3 cups of spinach, add 1/4 cup chopped nuts (have a good mix of pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and pine nuts from Trader Joe's), 1/4 cup dried cranberries, carrots, grape tomatoes, pepper strips. I bring the chicken separately because I only like it hot on the salad. At lunchtime, I pull the salad out, nuke the chicken and top it with some low fat balsalmic vinaigrette dressing - love it!

I also like tuna salad in pitas, turkey sandwichs with mustard on whole grain with spinach/tomatoes. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they sell these great no-need-to-refrigerate Indian meals (the eggplant and the lentil are low cal/low fat). I bring that to work with one of their pre-cooked packages of brown rice, add some spinach leaves and nuke it for lunch.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #11  

How 'bout a Tuna Grinder?

Half of a Sara Lee Whole Wheat Bagel
3oz can of tuna, drained
1 slice of Kraft 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1.5 teaspoon of fat free mayo

Mix the mayo in with the tuna. Put mixture on bagel and top with cheese and melt in micowave or toaster if you have one available.

202 calories and 27 grams of protein. I like to have this with a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese - more protein plus the calcium. Delicious and really filling.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #12  
Susan hockeyfan7

One of my favorites is a toasted corn tortilla with 1/4 cup fat free refried beans, 1/2 oz low-fat cheddar, a sliced plum tomato and 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #13  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Love the idea of the baked potato! My fiance doesn't like them so I don't make them at home much, those and soups I have for lunch at work (when I'm being good, otherwise I just don't eat anything ) that way it feels like a treat! Thanks for the good ideas gals, going to have to try a baked potato, sounds yummy!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote