Old 04-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #1  
2 forward, 1 back

Default Darn you, Pizza Hut!

My daughter and I were invited to a playdate today with our usual playdate group and we all chipped in for a pizza lunch. I only ate 1-1/2 pieces of a medium-size pizza and 1-1/2 breadsticks, and I skipped the soda and cupcakes that the other moms were enjoying. STILL, my lunch wound up totalling over 900 calories, per Pizza Hut's online nutrition calculator.

Ordering from Pizza Hut is getting to be a regular thing at playdates. And then there are potlucks and all kinds of junk food at work, family gatherings, holiday candy, etc. Not only must I have willpower of steel (which I don't), but at some point it must start seeming rude if a guest eats very little of what's being served. I don't necessarily want to discuss my struggle to eat healthy in front of a group.

Anyone have any luck handling special occasions? Or more accurately, I suppose, it's this multitude of not-so-special occasions that really do us in.
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #2  
Susan hockeyfan7

I have a gluten allergy, so I always bring my own food to special events. I never know whether or not I can eat what's being served. I don't take a chance on whether or not the food has been contaminated. Lots of the time, people think my food looks better.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Here are a couple solutions:

~The calories are going to be massive in the Cheese Lovers (because of the extra cheese), Meat Lovers, and any of the individual fatty meat toppings-namely pepperoni and sausage. Avoid the pizzas with those toppings.

~There are much more calories in Pan pizza than in the Hand Tossed, or Thin N Crispy crusts-with the Thin N Crispy being the lowest calorie crust. Avoid Pan Pizza.

~Avoid the breadsticks altogether because of the no nutrient factor, and focus on having two slices of either Hand Tossed, or ideally, the Thin N Crispy Crust. If it is a large group and multiple pizzas are ordered, ask if any of the moms would mind if you ordered a pizza or 1/2 a pizza with one of the following toppings:

-Veggie Lovers
-Ham
-Chicken Veggie

For instance, a medium slice of Thin N Crispy Veggie Lovers is only around 200 calories, so 2 slices would be around 400. (Check the Pizza Hut calculator for the exact count.) Less than half of the 900 you had today.

Good luck!
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #4  
LLV

I never did understand the breadstick thing. Why in *the* **** would a pizza place (or anywhere, for that matter) serve breadsticks with a PIZZA???

That's just never made any sense to me.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3

those breadsticks are the devil. they're 300 cals a piece! yikes. bring your own food to the playdates and say, "i dont really like pizza." or "pizza gives me a stomach ache." people arent likely to question you if you just say you dont like it.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

I always just take what I should eat without making an issue of it. If someone says anything I assure them that I am eating well and content, etc., so THEY don't feel embarrassed or like they should not be enjoying their food. Most people don't have a problem with that if I do it in a positive way instead of an "I'm on a diet" manner. And there ARE situations when I eat something I would prefer not to... such as when I went to visit an old friend and she had made our favorite dessert especially for my visit. And I'm NOT on a diet but just a healthful eating plan and lifestyle so can do this type of thing. But as a general rule I do NOT let others influence what I eat or don't eat. OTOH my friends are very supportive and WANT me to be successful in my endeavors. I wouldn't discuss it as a struggle... but if you share it as a JOY most people understand. If the only thing served is something you should not eat, just take small portions. True friends are NOT going to sabotage your healthful eating plan!! Just my opinion
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 AM   #7  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnamadonna1013
those breadsticks are the devil. they're 300 cals a piece! yikes. bring your own food to the playdates and say, "i dont really like pizza." or "pizza gives me a stomach ache." people arent likely to question you if you just say you dont like it.
I'd try that, but the foot long drool from my mouth while I stare at the pizza is gonna be a dead give away
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/146/145

Height: 5'6"

Maybe you could snack on something healthy prior to going to the play date... just enough to "fill up a little space" and then have 1 slice of pizza.

VirgoChic is definately right...I would also have a foot long drool from my mouth while I would stare at the pizza.LOL
shellerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

That's a great idea Sheller!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I never did understand the breadstick thing. Why in *the* **** would a pizza place (or anywhere, for that matter) serve breadsticks with a PIZZA???

That's just never made any sense to me.
The same exact reason a steakhouse will serve a huge pile of deep fried onion, or deep fried cheesesticks when they are going to bring you a steak the size of your head in 15 minutes.

Because we'll buy them.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #11  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I used to eat that deep fried onion or the deep fried cheese stick, then eat the steak the size of my head.

SO glad those days are gone.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #12  
Determined

Could you suggest somewhere with at least healthier options like chik fil a? I know when I eat really heavy like that I have zero energy, maybe you could use that as a reason? After all, you guys are trying to keep up with toddlers, so low energy is a good reason to avoid certain foods.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
The same exact reason a steakhouse will serve a huge pile of deep fried onion, or deep fried cheesesticks when they are going to bring you a steak the size of your head in 15 minutes.

Because we'll buy them.
Not me, lol.

Then you've got your pizza places making gigantic pizzas now and pizzas with cheese dippers as the crust.

Suuuuuuure, go ahead, invent more ways to make us all fat.

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #14  
2 forward, 1 back

Thanks for the reponses. You know, the more I think about it, the more it baffles me that so many people don't give a second thought about what they put into their bodies -- or feeding their children, for that matter.

Yeah, I couldn't get away with saying I don't care for pizza because it's been pretty obvious in the past that I LOOOOOOOOOVE pizza. I really didn't want to draw attention to myself, but in the future I will voice more of an opinion.

I did a bit more looking on Pizza Hut's Web site and found that they have a "Fit N Delicious" menu. Next time I'll suggest we order one "Fit N Delicious" pizza, or at least a thin-crust one like aphil suggested. Who knows, maybe someone else in the group will be grateful.

It's coming up on my turn to host playdate, so of course I'll be sure to set a good example.

I better just find some meditation technique or something to get me through Easter weekend.
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I totally understand. My roommates generally want to celebrate the fact that it's Friday with Pizza Hut, but after I checked the nutrition calculator on its web site I was blown away. How can they fit that many calories into that one slice?!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote