2020 Sundove Log - Page 4 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/189/150

Height: 5'3

I would like to know the difference between stress that causes overeating and stress that causes loss of appetite. I've experienced both.

EDIT: A Google search stated that we are one way or another. Thinking back I realize that when stressed, like when DH was hospitalized, I lose my appetite. But when I experience relief after the stressful situation has passed, my appetite runs full speed ahead. I guess I just don't experience a lot of stress because I seldom lose my appetite for long enough for it to have a good effect.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-21-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #47  

Carol, You raise a really good point that's been in the back of my mind. I think that stress is a catch-all term for a number of different mind states. I should say I didn't totally lose my appetite, just not so focused on food as per my baseline. It was easy to stick to my plan. Anyway, my theory is that I was in a state of mobilization, anticipating the upheaval of packing and moving after 21 yrs in my home. And multiple tasks to get done with a deadline for selling my home in this time of uncertainty. I noticed right after moving, my appetite returned, even though there is still a lot stress. The move, for some reason, was the most unsettling. I am still majorly stressed about the real estate prep and all that I still must do within deadlines, and the what ifs.

When your DH was in the hospital, you had to mobilize your internal resources. If memory serves, you had to drive after a period when you were used to DH doing the driving, including on the freeway; and maybe in icy weather? And manage his care, keep his morale up, make life-and-death decisions, with all of the unknowns about how things would go for him, and not having him home. So maybe your stress hormones, like mine, shut off the part of our brain that has to do with appetite. A lot of adrenalin circulating.

At some point, a crisis might yield to chronic stress and maybe that's when some other hormone kicks in that does not suppress appetite. Maybe that's cortisol. Probably a gross over simplification. I know stress has been studied extensively, even in the laboratory, but not sure if its effect on appetite has been studied all that much.

It all feels like really basic instinct is operating--our animal brains recognized danger, and to prepare for fight or flight, the appetite part of our brains was turned off. If only it would be turned way down all the time.

I also think that there is something in us all that works toward balance. So after a prolonged period of less eating, the appetite will return just to rebalance us back to status quo. I've experienced this many times--it's frustrating because when my appetite is gone, say from the flu or something similar, it feels so solid, like I will never feel differently.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-21-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #48  

Sunday
omelet with broccoli & cheese, coffee & lightener
turkey cheeseburger, carrot sticks, Fuji apple
big salad with HB eggs, kidney beans, cheese, olives, storebought dressing
coffer, lightener

made a big batch of spaghetti sauce and cooked a spaghetti squash

still not drinking water
Old 06-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 217/189/150

Height: 5'3

Yes that was in 2018, you have a good memory for details. I can understand how the move could be stressful too.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #50  

I weighed today and the scale has ticked up a bit. My clothes feel loose; possibly the different flooring in my new place is why it is reading differently. I may also be overeating a little, though it's on plan food now. I'm struggling with night time snacking, and by snacking, I mean enough for a small meal.

I have not gotten back on track with water yet,either. In part because I cannot count on public restrooms being open. Today, however, I went to Costco and their restroom is open. That's a big thing for me! When I went to the cemetery for the one year memorial of my mother's death, with a grave unveiling, I had to buy incontinence pads, in case. There were no public restrooms open in the entire county; it was fortunate the cemetery was even unlocked, but they were not allowing anyone to enter their buildings. This was during the initial part of the pandemic, and Santa Clara County was a hot spot.

Today I have found a little relaxation. I discovered where I had stashed the owner's manuals for the new appliances. It was driving me nuts. I also made a trip to the Apple store. They were extremely well-organized, with a security guard, a staffer who took temperatures outside as we stood in line. I remember lines outside of Apple when a new iphone is being released, lol. The store itself was refreshingly quiet, each customer had a display table all to oneself. My goal was to return a desktop computer I bought when the lockdown began. My laptop is older and I feared it would crash, with possibly no way to purchase a replacement. It turned out the desktop computer is not for me. Apple took it back, even though the return period was long over, and I bought the laptop instead, which no longer uses a USB port, grrr. I had to buy an adaptor for that--no wonder Apple stock is soaring, lol!

Food was so-so today, even though I wasn't stressed out. I feel overly full right now.

Eggs/cheese/broccoli, coffee/lightener

Spaghetti made with spaghetti squash, ground turkey, homemade marinara, parm cheese and fresh basil from my container garden

Coffee with lightener, carrots, mandarin oranges in a plastic cup--glad to eat the last one and go back to fresh produce.

plan for later is a big salad with kidney beans, HB egg, olives, TJ dressing; Fuji apple

I have been craving something sweet for the last few days. I hope it passes soon.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-23-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #51  

Friday
Eating was off plan Tues & Wed, significantly. Back on track yesterday and today is going well. I tried an herbal concoction in a plastic bottle sold at Whole Foods. It is called “Major Calm” and I think it is helping me to get better sleep. It is a 2oz shot with 30 cal.
Today
coffee/lightener,
ground turkey burger with cheese & ketchup, big salad with gratef cheese, TJ dressing.
sugar free candies, apple w cheddar, coffee & lightener
protein mashed potatos & mixed frozen vegs
riced cauliflower/ scrambled egg
Total Calm elixir

Water intake still too low; too many errands.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-27-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #52  

Saturday
coffee/lightener
eggs/riced cauliflower
fingerling purple sweet potato
ground turkey burger/ cheese/ ketchup
cookies whoops!
sugar free candy

I learned from the Whole Foods associate about the herbs in the Calm elixir. Theanine is used by people for soothing frazzled nerves and comes in pill form. I bought some to try. It’s less costly and zero calories. Curious to isolate what seems to work for me, esp. sleep quality. Today was low energy. Very windy and cold.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #53  

Sunday
A relaxing day that began with sunshine, although still chilly and wind will kick up in the afternoon.
Today I used bagged shredded cabbage with my eggs. I like to add a little soy sauce and drop of sesame oil to make it taste like egg foo young. I didn't have those on hand, nor scallions, but it was close enough. I'm pleased to have omitted cheese without feeling like something was missing.

Early lunch of canned chicken breast and mayo, later followed by sugar free candy.

A day off from real estate is just what's needed. A zoom meeting about a fabulous film, "Dough," correspondence from friends with whom I haven't been in touch for awhile. SD get-together with 2 friends this evening. My adopted cat of 19 yrs surprised me by moving from his usual daytime hangout in a cardboard scratch box to curling up next to my pillow, all day. I take it as a good sign of settling in, and maybe part of his former routine.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #54  

Sunday evening in my friend’s yard included high calorie snacks instead of dinner.

Monday
I'm excited about my new egg dish. Today was shredded cabbage and carrots in an egg pancake, no flour, no cheese.
Lunch was a ground turkey burger with cheese, ketchup
Apple, mini sweet potato, broccoli

Yummy avocado roll from the supermarket sushi bar. It had julienned crunchy vegs that I love, carrots, cucumber, wrapped in lettuce and avocado, in a thin wrap, maybe taro . Crisp & fresh.

Last edited by Sundove; 06-29-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #55  

Tuesday
I ate before bed and weighed in the morning after coffee. It’s not as bad as it might be after night snack of tuna/ mayo, good-sized serving.

Today I emptied the 4 boxes of books, CDS, DVDS that I have been storing in my car for 3 months. Some were sold to my favorite used bookstore in San Francisco. The rejects were brought to the library thrift shop. After they chose what they thought would sell, they directed me to the nearby Goodwill who was accepting all books and other media. I saved a couple of books for the little library in my apt. complex, and my friend is taking my Northern Exposure & Columbo dvd sets. I decided to keep Seinfeld for now; I might need the humor. I have about 6 more boxes to sort. 2 boxes of my dad’s chemistry books from the 1940s will be offered to the nuclear test archive in Nevada, where I’ve donated some documents.

I feel lighter!

Food today
Coffee/ lightener, storebought chicken salad & cole slaw. Felt uncomfortably full. Later roasted butternut squash cubes & evoo.
Apple, coffee & lightener
Ground turkey cheeseburger, riced cauliflower

Last edited by Sundove; 07-01-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #56  

Wed
I forgot to eat today, after my breakfast coffee. It’s dinnertime and I am not really hungry. An intense day of appliance-palooza. I feel the theanine is helping my attitude. Most of the time. My adopted cat woke me in the wee hours again. This poor little thing has moved 3 times since Nov., including a flight from Minnesota. He’s settling in nicely now.
Dinner is late while I defrost a turkey patty.
I've had grilled asparagus with a little mayo, roasted butternut squash cubes, riced cauli. Will enjoy a turkey cheeseburger.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-02-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #57  

Weigh is down 19.4 lbs. Another day of work on home, hopefully afternoon will be free.

Coffee/ lightener
watermelon, fingerling sweet potato
eggs with shredded cabbage, carrots, minced onion
grilled asparagus, riced cauliflower, turkey cheeseburger
protein bar and my favorite veggie sushi roll from the grocery store

Knocked off 2 more tasks leaving one to go before my home is ready for market.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-03-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #58  

Friday
Weight is up a little bit, not surprisingly.
Coffee, lightener
Plan for today TBD. I hope to work out a strategy for late afternoon into the evening. By then I am susceptible to over-snacking. It's partly that I have not been eating enough in the daytime, and am famished by the time I get home. Also, my mood is lower as the day wears on, lately anyway. I think that some self-care activities might be more helpful than grazing. I just need to focus my attention in that direction.

Storebought breakfast burrito, an old favorite of scrambled egg, tiny bit of fresh pico de gallo salsa, avocado, cheese; one taste of the ww wrap.
last of the riced cauliflower, butternut squash cubes, evoo

Here's to a happy and safe 4th, and a better one next year!

Last edited by Sundove; 07-03-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #59  

Saturday
Today turned into a non plan day. I ate up leftovers of chicken/mayo and Cole slaw, a ground turkey cheeseburger, and watermelon. A small bag of cashews. All in advance of a back porch bbq with 2 friends, which will feature ribs, baked beans, Cole slaw, watermelon. Probably some appetizers. I'll need to rein it in tomorrow. I recognize emotional eating slipping in, will redouble effort to find alternative besides food.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #60  

Sunday
Yesterday evening was a delicious meal prepared by my friend, with some contributions by the two of us who visited. Ribs, Baked beans, Cole slaw, Watermelon. There was no need for dessert. She had worked out the details of serving us covid-safe, so it was a relaxing, normal-feeling evening with friends. Food for the soul as well as the palate. For some reason I felt a sense of longing when I left, for more food. It's happened before when I visit with these dear friends. The drive home takes me past the supermarket. Although I had never acted on the urge, I did last night. I found some cooked ribs, voila. No sweets. A high calorie 4th.

Today is not bad; I wanted to be strict, but restricting after a day of indulgence, for me, is a recipe for yo-yo-ing. I am gently working my way back down. Although I am eager to fit into smaller clothes, there are competing priorities with the ongoing desire for comfort food. I'm treading lightly for now, in addressing the emotional eating. Once I am a bit more settle with my projects, I will more fully embrace eating to lose weight.
Coffee/lightener
Store-bought salad-in-a-sushi roll; small bag of cashews, protein bar. My 3 go-to comfort foods. I strolled past the bakery & then circled back around it. I just knew it would ultimately make me miserable if I indulged. Sugar no longer agrees with my body. I get aches when I have more than a tiny bit of sweets. Pleased with myself for this small victory.
Dinner will be either a turkey cheeseburger, or egg/veggie pancake (no flour). Watermelon

Last edited by Sundove; 07-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.