Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/T/180

Height: 5"2

Default Is it okay not to use all 1200 calories

I am 5"2 small frame, and have at least 100lbs to lose. Right now my first goal weight is 180 lbs. I am trying to cut out all sweets because I tend to binge on them. I am trying not to go over 1200 calories a day. I am trying to walk at least 30 mins a day if not more. (starting out slow since im so out of shape) I have added a lot of fruit to my diet and at least 8 glasses of water, was never a big water drinker loved my regular coke until I went to diet coke, which I drink at least 2 cans a day. I have been adding up my calories but for the last 2 days I haven't made 1000 calories. But I am full.

Today I had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast- 160 cal

A banana and 30 grapes (yes I counted them lol) -170 cal

Alfredo Noodles with diced turkey slices- 380 cal

Another banana plus some sliced mandarin oranges-180 calories

(Trying to get rid of banana's before they go bad. lol) That is still only 890 calories but I don't think I can eat anymore. I am just not hungry.

Is it okay not to eat anymore even tho I have more calories to spare? Will it effect my weight lose if I eat so little calories? I have heard that some people stop losing weight by eating so little...
KandiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

It's probably ok once in awhile, but tomorrow I'd try eating a little more to balance it out. You know, and don't make it an everyday habit. Some people might say 1200 calories are too low already though, you could raise them a bit at your weight.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Like Ringmaster said, it is okay once in a while but be sure not to make an habit of it. Do you like nuts or nut butters? They are little yet calorie-dense so it won't make you feel so stuffed, you know? You could have a bit of nut butter with your bananas. What about bread or tortilla wraps to go with your eggs in the morning? Cheese? Every little bit helps when you are under and frankly, a piece of cheese is better than a piece of chocolate (or two) which I used to do all the time when I was below my intake for the day.

You are doing great so far, just need to eat a little more!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

It won't stop your weight loss, but weight loss inevitably slows down anyway as time progresses. What will you do when you're eating at say, 1000 cals a day and your weight loss is stalling? Go to 800 or lower? See where I'm going? Obviously none of that is healthy.

Eat the most calories you can while still losing weight so you have some wiggle room to still reduce calories as time progresses. Is a low day once in awhile going to hurt you? Not likely, especially if you balance them out with higher days.

Last edited by Vex; 01-21-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/152/110

Height: 5'1½''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
It won't stop your weight loss, but weight loss inevitably slows down anyway as time progresses. What will you do when you're eating at say, 1000 cals a day and your weight loss is stalling? Go to 800 or lower? See where I'm going? Obviously none of that is healthy.

Eat the most calories you can while still losing weight so you have some wiggle room to still reduce calories as time progresses. Is a low day once in awhile going to hurt you? Not likely, especially if you balance them out with higher days.
Yes! Just like one splurge day isn't going to ruin your progress, neither will one day of lower calories. It's when you make it a habit that things get out of control.

And pretty much +1 to all Vex said.
out from under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/255/199

Height: 5"6

i am basically in the same boat...when I do eat my required calories, i feel guilty...but when i eat under my required cals I feel lazy and tired...i think it is just something we need to play around with until we find what works for us. keep up the great work!!!
nichole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have the same problem. I went (mostly) vegan/non-processed after the new year and have a really hard time getting all of the calories in. I get WAY more nutrients and healthy foods in my body than before when I ate more calories, but more junk. I also eat A LOT more volume than before. I've been trying to think through the lower calories but the best I can come up with is that if I get all of my required nutrition in (vitamins, protein, etc.), and am honestly full and have lots of energy - maybe I'm okay? Especially since I think the 1200 calorie thing is an average based on people that are 5'6" or so. For those of us that are shorter, we would need less. With all of that said - keep it above 1000, get all of your nutrients in and maybe try to incorporate 100 calories of nuts or an extra banana to get it closer to 1200 on average. Also, watch your weight loss. If it's too fast, there are side effects of that that are not pleasant - gall stones, hair loss, period stops, excessive dry skin, etc. These are common for post WLS patients and are physician/nutritionist supervised for them. If you want to keep this up and avoid those potential problems, you might want to see a nutritionist to monitor your progress.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Listen to your body: Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Up your calories if you're tired or lethargic. Food gives you the energy you need to survive.

Calculate your bmr (basal metabolic rate), and lower your calories to the point where you'll lose steadily but slowly. Beachbody is right, losing too fast causes a whole mess of problems, including a loss of muscle which will make you feel worse. Hydrate well, eat good fats and proteins and round it out with vegetables.

I sound bossy, but I've been on both sides of the spectrum. Don't obsess about your calories, but be aware of them.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/T/180

Height: 5"2

Okay thanks everyone, appreciate all your advice.
KandiGC is offline   Reply With Quote