Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/190/140

Height: 5"5

Default Alcohol

So I am on the 1st day of my journey which just so happens to be 1 week exactly before my 21st birthday party. My family think I am a bit mad for starting a week before but I know my self that if I put it off now I will keep putting it off and nothing will change

So i need some advice on alcoholic drinks, which are the lowest in Calories and sugar. I normally drink bottles of Koppabberg which I know the calories in those and sugar levels are up in the high heavens.

Anybody have some advice on this?
RoisinDubh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #2  

Stick with clear liquor (tequila, vodka) and mix diet coke, lime and tonic water, sprite zero is a good mixer, too. If the place you go to doesn't have these, bring your own and explain to the staff that you cannot have added sugars. If you are buying the shot of alcohol, the shouldn't mind you adding the mixer. Red wine, a glass or two, is fine as well. I don't know much about beer; however, I know they have low carb, so that probably means lower sugar. Good luck and Happy Birthday!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I drink whiskey/bourbon on the rocks.

Most flavored vodkas (raspberry stoli, cherry vodka, blueberry, etc.) are good with soda water and lime.

Regular beers are higher - light beers are typically around or under 100 calories.

I havent found a good light/lower cal/lower sugar cider, though - and I love ciders.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I like Jack Daniels and Diet Coke/Coke Zero. About 65 calories per ounce according to their website.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

I usually go with vodka and diet coke, but recently I've had a taste for malibu rum. I experimented and really liked malibu rum with a wee bit of squash and sparkling or still water (some of my friends really hate it though, but try it and see if it works for you!) since fruit juice is just as high in sugars/calories as a mixer with malibu.

Pimms with diet lemonade is ok too but I can't imagine having that on a night out regularly lol.

I'm generally ok having pre-drinks/drinks at home cause I can control what liquor I have and what mixers I have them with, but it's quite difficult to find diet mixers in clubs/bars so I tend to stick to lagers... a full pint of Carling is 187 kcals and provided I've already had some drink in my system it usually lasts longer than a short drink of say, whisky-coke.

Anyway those are the usual strategies I've devised and so far it's been good for me (especially considering I live in the northwest of England!)... Have a good birthday night out! xx

PS: I just wanted to add... It might seem a bit of a drudge to have to limit your alcohol intake to certain kinds and with certain mixers; but it helps for me to remember that it's a sustainable lifestyle change that I want, not a temporary quick-fix diet that will get pounds off but won't keep it off - I know I won't want to cut alcohol out of my life completely forever, so a few restrictions like that is nothing in the long run (and I've got used to it anyway). Good luck!

Last edited by sffx87; 11-16-2012 at 12:19 PM.
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #6  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I actually haven't touched alcohol since I started losing weight at the start of the summer.

Alcohol turns to sugar, and sugar turns to fat. Why would I want that?

That being said, there's some talk that a glass of white wine can actually help your body metabolize? I just know it's awesome with shrimp. And that I desperately miss my snakebites which are apple cider on top of harp beer. Mmmm..snakebite!

But it is your birthday! So have fun and BE CAREFUL!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #7  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

I have just one thing to say.... CAKE VODKA!! 70 cal a shot, put it on ice, have your cake and drink it too
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #8  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

I drink rum and diet when I want more alcohol for my calorie budget, Strongbow cider (140 cal/bottle) otherwise and just fit it in my calorie budget for the day.

However, I am at my original goal weight, so more interested in reversing an upward trend (I was 7 lbs lighter in September!) than worried about getting to my new lower goal in any particular hurry. ...and I am eating back 700-800 exercise calories/day due to my triathlon training so have what feels to me like lots of room to play and a need for carb-like cals to support endurance training anyway.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote