Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Electrolyte Powder Question

I bought a few packets of electrolyte powder from the health food store to try. I added it to my water before starting my workout. I felt fine during the workout, it tasted good etc. When I got home, I felt sick and bloated and had a hard time eating dinner. Is this normal or just a fluke? I had a light snack over an hour prior to exercising so I don't think it was that. Should I add the powder to my water after my workout and just drink plain water during?

I will add that there are zero calories and no sugar in this product.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #2  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

what brand?

i use a tonne of electrolytes, but i mean, how much do you sweat? i only use it because of rigous exercise.

but aside from that, it shouldnt have any effect whatsoever. no feeling effect, no performance effect etc.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #3  

I workout 4-5 days a week, 3 of those with a trainer so my workouts are intense and I do sweat A LOT. I think it was maybe a fluke and nothing to do with the powder. I will check the brand, I don't have any one me.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Honestly, you're probably okay with plain water unless you are exerting heavily for over an hour, IMHO.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
Honestly, you're probably okay with plain water unless you are exerting heavily for over an hour, IMHO.
i agree.

if you do feel like you need a little something something, i highly suggest you eat a pickle, or drink a little 35 cal juice box of coconut water.

personally, i use electrolytes because of bikram, which is done in 40 degrees (celcius) 60% humidity, for 90 minutes, i practice approximately 25 hours a week, and use electrolytes less then 3 times a week, i do eat high sodium because of this need to remain hydrated. i also drink about 3-5 litres of water a day.

the reason why i suggest other methods of hydration are because your body gets used to the added salt from electro powder, and may cause you to become dependant on it- aka releasing all the salt, because it knows its getting more. essentially, you know you are dehydrated if you are a) peeing dark yellow, even when you're drinking 3+ litres of water OR drinking a glass of water, and need to pee nearly immediately (within 10 minutes).

but this is just coming from personal experience.

if you do choose to go the electrolyte route, i highly suggest emergen-c, or nuun. i personally highly perfer nuun.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #6  

Thank you ladies. I do work out 90mins per day and I do sweat a lot, but I tried the powder again last night and I felt icky so I am just going to stick to water. I noticed I am not peeing as much after drinking water with the powder, but with plain water, I eliminate more fluid. I certainly don't need to be hanging on to water, especially with my blood pressure medication.