Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #16  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I just get so freakin' mad when people talk to me like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not saying I'm perfect (and there's a big ol' line of people who'll agree with me on that!), but what I'm doing seems to be working for me, so .
Yes yes yes yes yes! I STILL get comments from certain people about how I should never eat after 7pm if I want to lose weight, or I need to eat fewer carbs, or cardio is a waste of time, and on and on. I want to yell, "I've lost 130 lbs, and it wasn't by accident! I think I know what I'm doing!" Actually, the weight's not flying off lately, so who knows if I know what I'm doing anymore, but I'm pretty darn sure that not eating after 7pm isn't the solution. Anyway... I get totally get it.

Last edited by chickadee32; 03-08-2012 at 01:21 AM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #17  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes! I STILL get comments from certain people about how I should never eat after 7pm if I want to lose weight, or I need to eat fewer carbs, or cardio is a waste of time, and on and on. I want to yell, "I've lost 130 lbs, and it wasn't by accident! I think I know what I'm doing!" Actually, the weight's not flying off lately, so who knows if I know what I'm doing anymore, but I'm pretty darn sure that not eating after 7pm isn't the solution. Anyway... I get totally get it.
Ahhhhh the diet police. Gotta love them.

My favorites are -- people who chastise me for eating after 7pm and people who tell me to "just do situps".

UGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 03-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #18  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You know what I get a lot of too? People chastising me for lifting so much. I usually have to buy a size or two up in fitted tops like blazers or jackets because I have broad shoulders. I remember complaining about it and some of the women at my gym have said "well you lift so heavy, that isn't helping, just stick with 5lb weights :]"

NO

Ugh. I just have broad shoulders. I always have, even before I started weight training.

At least recently they're looking at me, some tiny chick lifting a ton and realizing that women don't bulk up, we just look more awesome. It was really funny to see some new people's eyes bug out last night at me during the weight training class because I'm the smallest one there (height too) and lifting twice or more what everyone else is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I just died laughing reading this...
I aim to please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Me too!

Looking around, we've all lost quite a bit of weight. It's so interesting that we all have this happen. Do they think we just goofed up and dropped all this weight by accident?
LOL probably. Yes, I just lost 85 pounds because my fat just got tired of living on me.

Seriously, there are have been times when people are giving me advice and I'll say "Ok, how much have you lost? Is it 85 pounds? I don't think so. Bye.

Quote:
Ahhhhh the diet police. Gotta love them.

My favorites are -- people who chastise me for eating after 7pm and people who tell me to "just do situps".

UGHHHHHHHHHHH.
I HATE IT SO MUCH. Especially since situps aren't going to get the abs everyone thinks they will.

And really, situps are going to make someone lose weight? Yeah right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
A lot of people have given me diet advice too. It's like, really? I think whatever I'm doing is working. I've told people to shut up and leave me alone, haha.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #19  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yes.

I can empathize and sympathize with you.

I get all that on weight loss and the extra side advice on what to do about my hypothyroid, PCOS, IR, anxiety, lalalala.

I know I can lose. I've lost 80 lbs before! I have not learned enough maintain skills though. I'm working on it, ok?

Mom recently called me up to tell me about anxiety and how she learned recently that triggers can just happen whenever. You can't always avoid them. So coping skills are needed for these surprise moments.

I listened politely and then said "Thanks!" and hung up thinking "*$()#! When will she learn what is new to HER isn't always new to ME? 20 yrs as a chronic patient -- you'd think I'd know something about my own conditions, huh? Gee. I never noticed that my anxiety triggers are not always avoidable and that I might have to use coping skills to handle it when they pop up at me?)

Just take it in stride and roll your eyes if you have to where they can't see you.

People mean well. I excuse them because they really do most of the time. They want to help or support even if they don't always do it in the best way. There are some who want to just yank your chain on purpose, but more often it's the helpers. They do things that annoy me but they aren't doing it TO annoy me deliberately.

Like Mom. She's not out to drive me nuts on purpose. LOL.

But in the end you have to do what works for YOU because hey! You are the one living in here! And the one actually doing it! So carry on with yo' bad self. Woot! You own it! Rock it! YOUR way!

The peanut gallery comment makers? Move it along now... Nothing to see here. Shoo! Buh-bye!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #20  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

People equate diet with diet food...like if you're not eating a salad and boiled chicken, you're not doing it right. People have said "you can't eat that" and you just have to humor them or prove them wrong.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #21  
threenorns

you know what i really hate?

my daughters - love them to death, i really do, but sometimes i wonder why i didn't put the diaper on the other end and then sit on them.

my oldest daughter has asperger's. as a result, she's probably the only child you ever met (unless you know another like her) who hated to eat. i'm not kidding - even as an infant, she would go *days* without eating solids. as a teenager, i watched her not eat for 4 days straight before she suddenly stood up from the computer, looked at me blankly, said "i'm hungry" and proceeded to clean out two full shelves of the fridge.

then she didn't eat for another three days.

kid was a stick - five five and she needed a size MINUS two wedding dress when she was 17 (they're still married, had their ninth wedding anniversay not long ago).

she *constantly* lectures me on how it's just not necessary to eat every day - apparently some study somewhere has proved that.

my second daughter? not so lucky. because of nik's failure to thrive, she had to be put on a high-fat, high-calorie, high-protein diet. what am i gonna tell her younger sister: yes, i know nik is having another smoothie but you're not allowed?

nunh-unh.

so cait started off as "pleasingly plump" and went up from there. but it looked *good* on her - it really did.

then she hit the big two zero zero and all **** broke loose.

to give her credit, she lost it - she lost 80lbs in 4 months by taking up running, working out with weights 3 - 4 times a week, and finally cleaning up her diet. for a while, we were concerned but thankfully she pulled herself back from the brink and did not develop anorexia.

she is still very slim and eats like a trucker who's been knocking back bennies for the last two days.

i used to be a bodybuilder and then a powerlifter.

i have pictures.

yes, i'm a fat frump now - but i DO have proof.

suddenly, caiti is lecturing me! she's lecturing me on how i should lose the weight - i should run! every day! and go to the gym! and don't do big weights, they make you bulk up even more!

i finally said kid, stop teaching the dog to bark.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-08-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #22  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yep, no matter what size you are, people question what others eat - and sometimes directly to their face. You can't win there really, just nod and say 'mmhmm.'

Just wait, the next one will be, "you shouldn't lose anymore weight!"

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #23  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
That's already sort of happened. I told my cousin that my goal was 150, and he looked at me and said, isn't that kinda low? And I was like, well, that puts me on the high side of normal, BMI-wise, so. . .doin' it!

No one says that now, though.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #24  

Quote:
I totally understand what you are talking about!!!!

I have a group of friends right now that I know through meetup. A lot of our meetups are centered around food. Since I've been calorie counting, I've declined all of our meetups which involve restaurants and potlucks. One of my friends CONTINUES to invite me, week after week, to dinner out at <insert restaurant here> or potluck at <person's house>. And these restaurants are usually local mom and pop eateries - where nutrition information is not readily available. And since the group has quite a few foodies, the restaurants aren't usually "Sally's Super Salads"...lol.

It's making me feel bad because I keep declining her invites, but she knows what I'm trying to do in terms of my weight loss - so at some point I am hoping she stops asking!
AHHH I know what you mean. I live in a cute neighborhood with a lot of restaurants. I do like spending time with people from time to time (I like me time a lot lol) and I can suggest all the non-eating activities I want, but at the end of the day, everyone I know wants to eat out at a greasy mom and pop shop. Which is totally fine, as long as they are cool with me just having water. I could just order a salad with nothing on it (I'd eat the fatty food if it was a treat to me, but I'm not tempted to) but then I spend all that money on a meal I don't want only to eat my real dinner at home afterwards. So I just drink some tea and catch up and then I have dinner. Its been fine so far. I only go out if my praents come to visit, and even then, I refuse to eat out for lunch and dinner-twice in a day is just too much even if it doesn't result in weight gain. Sometimes I'm surprised that they invite me LOL.

I'm told that I order weird things at restaurants (anything like fruit, or plain veggies or something that I can pick at) but I prefer knowing what goes in it and my dad worked at a restauraunt, its shocking what you can slip sugar and butter in.

And potlucks those are TRICKY. I tend to come late or whatever and I already eat before I come. I do come with food, usually a snack or something people will want to eat after they've had their big meal. When I would go for the whole time and eat the fattening food, I would just end up feeling unhappy, so doing this stuff makes me feel a lot better, even though I guess it sounds like I'm depriving myself lol.

Just making your own choices in general feels pretty awesome!

Last edited by pixelllate; 03-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Yep, no matter what size you are, people question what others eat - and sometimes directly to their face. You can't win there really, just nod and say 'mmhmm.'

UGGGH yes. My sister thinks its weird that I like to eat alone, but I don't enjoy the inevitable comments about my food and if I have a meal I wanna focus on eating it, not holding up a convo while eating it LOL
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #26  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Dude I totally feel you! For me at this moment in time its all about the calories! Ya sure from time to time I take a look at my sodium intake and protein intake or carb intake and i do my best at picking the healthier choice. e.g.: chips or crackers? crackers but, the bottom line? Its calories!
My Fiance' literally two weeks ago started a fitness journey! Yay?!?! ha! I thought I was excited! not really anymore he has no weight to lose and is just basically buffing up so his diet is completly different than mine he eats 3 times his "normal amount"!!!! and hes like oh honey we are in this together! and im like ya F***ing right we are!

He eats high calorie "healthy foods" and hes like come eat lunch with me and im like no thank you ill make my own. and hes like but its completly healthy? and im like hmmmm count up the cals on that! or he'lll tell me why are you eating a frozen dinner it may be low in cals but its not good for you. And im like well 8hrs of work then 6hrs of school then 1-2hrs of gym then 7-8hrs of sleep doesnt leave much room for cooking! There are literally only so many hours in the day.

And his calorie intake is around 3,000-4,000! Jealous much? Ya me to! so we arent really (in this) together. sure we are both working on better ourselves but its completly opposite end of the spectrum. and I know myself if i look at all aspects I WILL get burned out and say screw it so for now it gym calories and try to pick the healthier choice. So ya I feel you Gabe!
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #27  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
That's already sort of happened. I told my cousin that my goal was 150, and he looked at me and said, isn't that kinda low? And I was like, well, that puts me on the high side of normal, BMI-wise, so. . .doin' it!

No one says that now, though.
hahahahha me to! I told my mom 140 wich it the middle of my "healthy weight". and she goes, "OMG Jessica your going to be anorexic! I think your taking this to far!" So i told her, "Mom Jacquelene(my sister) is 120lbs."
(me and my sis are same height same body type except for my fat) lol
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Gabe, congratulations on a great loss. I am a calorie counter, too. I look at kind of like a bank account, I only have so many dollars to spend. Same with calories, in a given day there are only so many calories that I can consume.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #29  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
i finally said kid, stop teaching the dog to bark.
Love this, lol.

And it never seems to stop... I don't want to be one of the ones that makes it through, only to "preach" to others about what they should and shouldnt do. Unless its my husband, LOL.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #30  
Choose Your Hard

S/C/G: 180 / ticker / 140

Height: 5'5"

I love this thread! I calorie count too & trying to explain to people that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from is trying at times. I get annoyed too with how everyone knows what is best. How about I know what works for me - so leave me alone.

I love the guy (I believe he was a nutrition professor) who got tired of the diet debate & went on a diet of 1500 calories or something like that & lost weight. the thing was all he ate was junk food: ho-hos, cheetos, ding dongs, etc... no "healthy" food at all. Know what?! he LOST weight! and his vitals improved too - the body needs energy period.

Now I don't want to eat only junk food - but it is a nice illustration that you can eat anything in moderation.

Calorie counters UNITE!!! =)
DollyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote