Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Sorry if this has been asked already

I'm very excited to start my weight loss journey....again. I did calorie counting years ago, with little information besides, keep calories around 1200 and exercise. I lost 90 lbs doing this. I became lucky in love and now 5 years later, am 50 lbs heavier while my amazing boyfriend, whose eating habits I picked up, is actually 15 lbs lighter than when we met. (MEN!)

Anyways, after a ton of weight loss tips and information and research and losing weight and gaining weight, I've decided to go back to what worked for me the first time, calorie counting. I am never hungry in the morning so I guess my question is, is it okay to save your calories for a bigger lunch and dinner? If its all about calories in/calories out, how does everyone feel about A) eating breakfast (even when your not hungry in the morning) and B) eating just 2 large meals in terms of metabolism/fat burn.

Again, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but there is a looooot of threads to weed through!

Thanks in advance
blettybloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/130/125

Height: 5' 7"

I've read in many different places that research shows most people who are successful in weight loss and maintenance do eat breakfast.

But I'm also a big believer that there is an exception for every rule, and you have to do what works for you! You could try it and see if it does. And keep an open mind to the idea of trying it a different way.
Queen Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #3  

I believe it is all about calories in/calories out. There are some on here (and elsewhere) who follow some form of fasting---i.e., Intermittant Fasting or Fast 5 (fasting for all but 5 hours in the day). Those people routinely skip breakfast and lunch in some cases, and from what I've read, they do fine; it's just a matter of calorie restriction.

I agree with Queen Sarah: Do what works for you! I've learned that no matter what studies say, no matter what everyone tells you is the right thing, what's most important is that it is right for you. I think most successful dieters / maintainers tweak plans to suit their needs.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You should look into Intermittant Fasting! I'm just like you. Never hungry in the morning. I think it's silly to waste calories when I'm not hungry only to have to ration them when I am! It works great for me .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone! I guess I knew the best thing to do is what is right for me, but getting back into it, I wanted to start it off withouta hitch! I'll have to look into intermittent fasting! I've never heard of it before but sounds like it could work for me.

Thanks again
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I second what the others have said. Losing weight is about finding the best plan not just for your body, but for your psyche. I've learned over the past few years that some people (including my teenage son) just aren't hungry in the morning. I'm the opposite. I wake up hungry and breakfast is my favourite meal. I'd much rather have a larger breakfast and smaller supper -- so I do!

Your calories, your choice on how to "spend" them.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

I never ate breakfast because I was never hungry. I learned pretty quickly that I wasn't hungry because of a slow metabolism.

Also, eating in the morning keeps me full longer and prevents me from over-eating or impulse eating late in the day.
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<Also, eating in the morning keeps me full longer and prevents me from over-eating or impulse eating late in the day.>>

Yeah, that's one of the big benefits of a large breakfast for me. The other benefit is psychological. If I were "saving" for a high-calorie dinner every evening, I would be overfocusing on that meal throughout the day. When I eat according to the traditional paradigm of "breakfast like a king, lunch like a rich man and supper like a pauper," I find I think less about food during the day.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-13-2012 at 09:11 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
<<Also, eating in the morning keeps me full longer and prevents me from over-eating or impulse eating late in the day.>>

Yeah, that's one of the big benefits of a large breakfast for me. The other benefit is psychological. If I were "saving" for a high-calorie dinner every evening, I would be overfocusing on that meal throughout the day. When I eat according to the traditional paradigm of "breakfast like a king, lunch like a rich man and supper like a pauper," I find I think less about food throughout the day.

F.
It's so interesting how different people are---just solidifying the notion that what works great for one person won't work great for another. For example, I know from past experience that if I were to eat a really large breakfast, I still get hungry in the afternoon, and by dinner, I feel deprived if I just have something small. Dinner is definitely the main meal in my house. I mean, we always have the table set, wine glasses out, etc.---and that's weekdays, too! So, "spending" calories on a big breakfast when I'm not all that hungry anyway would make me gain because I know I would still eat as much at dinner.

Last edited by lin43; 02-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It is interesting how different we all are.

If I eat breakfast I'm RAVENOUS all day. If I don't, I'm fine. Crazy stuff.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #11  

ValRock- I am the saaaame way. When I do force myself to eat breakfast, because that is what I'm "supposed to" do, I'm hungry before lunchtime!! I tried the Fast 5 today. Was very easy for me to do! We'll see what the scale looks like tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am one of the exceptions. We were just talking about it this evening. I have never been a breakfast eater in the morning. ACK! I eat my first meal now around 1pm, then a snack at 4, then dinner at 7, then a snack twice after that before I go to bed. My snacks aren't junk food, except for my nightly air popped popcorn with cooking spray and taco seasoning. When I first decided to lose weight a couple of years ago, I worried about being an eater in the evening, but it worked fine and I lost just fine. Like 58 pounds worth of fine. Then life got in the way and I just couldn't keep up with tracking every bite etc., so I didn't really diet and exercise properly for a bit. I started back to counting and exercising just about 3 weeks ago and have lost 6 pounds so far already. BUT I walk a lot for exercise. Yesterday, we did about 6 miles. I ride my bicycle 15+ miles a week if the weather is good. And I am pretty careful to eat lots of veggies, plenty of protein and not too many carbs, not a lot of processed food except Splenda, and fairly low fat.

So...it works for me. I can't speak for anyone else, but surely don't let your food schedule stop you from trying. If it doesn't work, then adjust. if it works, be happy!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #13  

2 lbs down
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/220/170

Height: 5'7

Congrats!!
marmar09 is offline   Reply With Quote