Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/167/145

Height: 5'7

Default New and need guidance

This is my first post (other than my intro) so bear with me! I’ll try not to type out a novel.

I’m so unhappy with myself right now. I really let myself go this summer and now I have a closet full of clothes that I can’t wear because they no longer fit. I refuse to go out and buy new jeans! I’m tired all of the time. I really think calorie counting is going to be my best bet. I’d like to try WW but want to try calorie counting first.

I’ve been watching what I eat for a little over a week now. I got so frustrated with myself yesterday morning when I stepped on the scale (I’m only going to weigh myself once a week) and saw that the numbers hadn’t budged, so I totally fell off the wagon last night. I’m embarrassed to even admit the amount of food I consumed! But, today is a new day and I’m determined to do this.

So, here goes….I have no idea what I’m doing. In my mind I’m thinking that the fewer calories I consume, the more weight I’ll lose. Obviously that’s not working! For breakfast I’ve been having light yogurt, lunch has been cottage cheese and grapes, and dinner is either chicken, rice and a veggie, or a veggie burger, or something like that. Snacks are apples, jello, popcorn, or a small bowl of cereal. I love all of these foods but I know I’m missing something. I’ve been walking in the evenings as well, a few miles or as time permits.

Any input will be much appreciated!
mj1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211.4/207.6/150

Height: 5'7.5''

How many calories are you aiming for per day? Sounds like you may not be getting enough. I just upped my cals from 14-1600/ day to 1800/day and have been seeing better results. Its all about experimenting to find out what works best for you.
Mommywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #3  

Hi,
I agree with mommy wannabe that you aren't eating enough. I started in Jan. On 1200 cals. I have lost 86 pounds. But, I had a lot of plateaus. I have been working with trainer, and she had me up my calories to 1500. And, I try to eat 5 meals a day. It has made a difference. My trainer says eating this way will help you lose fat instead of muscle.

It does amaze how our bodies work. I cant eat the same amount of cals everyday because my body gets used to it and stuck. There have been times i have ate over a few hundred and then lose. Amazing. I just keep plugging along and let it happen.

Glad to see you have started. Pat yourself on the back and remember the old saying: One day at time.

Last edited by PearlNorth; 10-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.
PearlNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Dont Give Up!! Your body is just adjusting. Way to go on a week On Plan!
NoMoreKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

How many calories a day are you eating ? Are you actually counting them or are you estimating. When I try to estimate I find that I am actually eating a lot more than I thought.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/167/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the replies! Last week I was trying to eat healthier and consume fewer calories. I decided, starting today, to aim for 1200/day. Does that sound realistic? I started tracking on My Fitness Pal this morning.
mj1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #7  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I think 1200 is probably the minimum for your size - but try it and see how it goes! Give yourself a couple of weeks, and if you're still not getting results, up your water intake and exercise.

Barring any medical problem, it's gotta work!

GL!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote