Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #1  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Back After 2 Years -- Calorie Counting Again

I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I have visited the forums. I am turning 50 next year and realized it was now or never to get the weight off and keep it off. For the past 6 months or so I have been writing down my calories and have been walking 2 miles a day most days. It's been hard but I am really surprised that I've gotten this much weight off and kept it off.

Now I'm trying to get on down to my goal of 125. I'm 5'4". My husband thinks I've lost too much weight but my doctor said it would be okay. My wrinkles show up much more with the weight off but I don't care. I just feel so much better about the way I look. I'd love to wear a two-piece next summer on my 50th birthday. We'll see....

Another thing I've been doing is eating more times a day but small portions. That was always a problem but now I really can't eat a lot at one sitting. On the rare occasions that we go out to eat, I split a meal with my husband or just order an appetizer. I was surprised recently when we went to Out Back and I asked the waitress if I could just order the Alice Springs Chicken by itself with no salad or side and just be charged for the entree. She worked up a price and that's all I had and I was very satisfied.

I've missed reading all your posts and look forward to becoming involved in the forum again.
GeorgiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome back ! I am a calorie counter, too and find it works out better if I eat smaller meals but more often. I usually have breakfast, 3 hours or so later I have a snack and the rest of the day follows the same pattern. When I go to a restaurant I take half my meal home for lunch or dinner the next day. Looking forward to hearing from you again.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #3  

Welcome back! I, too, used to post, left off for a while, and just recently (this summer) started back. I hear ya about the concern over wrinkles. I read once that after a certain age, we have to choose between out a*@ or our face! I'm trying to find a happy medium!

I frequently eat only half my entree in restaurants. By doing that, even the most calorie-ridden entree is manageable within my calorie count.

Best of luck!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back! I also have done the same thing. I'd come on off and on. When I first started I was doing weight watchers. I never spent the money, but tried to do it free and realized it was silly! Just calorie count! LOL
Anyway, it looks like you've made some awesome progress. One thing that might help you is to try to maintain your weight for a few weeks. That will help your body catch up with the losses and get your hubby used to the new you.
When I lost weight the first time around, I found that when people were saying I was losing too much, I'd stay the same weight for a few weeks and then keep losing and they wouldn't say anything for a while.
Just my 2-cents.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #5  
Starting Over Again!

Default Encouragement

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! That is really something I had been missing. It's funny, I really don't like to discuss my weight loss with anyone I am close with. It just seems so personal. Here, you can post your weight and not think anything of it -- I wouldn't want to share my exact weight with anyone other than my doctor otherwise.

I've had people tell me that writing down my calories is obsessive and that I shouldn't weigh myself. I think you have to do what works for you and no one should tell you how to go about it. Calorie counting has held me accountable for a long time and so has weighing on the scale. I like knowing the truth about what I weigh and how many calories I'm eating.

I'm also surprised at how some so-called friends or relatives actually try to sabotage your weight loss. They comment on what you're ordering or what you're eating like it's some kind of sin. I've had a S-I-L proclaim loudly at a family gathering, "So, how much weight HAVE you lost"! I just looked at her and said, "That's very personal" and walked away. She's over-weight and just wanted to embarrass me. I don't understand why someone can't be supportive or just not say anything.

Thankfully, I do have people who are supportive and want me to be happy. My husband has been great about the whole thing except for worrying that I'm going to just keep on losing...I guess he thinks I'm going to lose down to 100 lbs or something. I just keep reassuring him that I know when to stop.

Anyway, thanks for the support!!

Last edited by GeorgiaLady; 08-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #6  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Welcome back, GeorgiaLady! Yes, it is surprising how many people try to sabotage your weight loss, but it's important to stay strong. My S-I-L would try to offer me dessert after dessert when I would be visiting and she wasn't trying to be devious, but she just thought I was losing too much weight. I can't believe your S-I-L said that out loud! You are a good person for walking away, lol!! I hope your weight loss journey goes very well!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When people rudely ask me how much I have lost I just say something like "Oh, a little" and change the subject.
I make it a point to not tell people I am dieting this keeps the diet police and sabotagers quiet.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #8  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLady View Post
Thanks so much for the encouragement!! That is really something I had been missing. It's funny, I really don't like to discuss my weight loss with anyone I am close with. It just seems so personal. Here, you can post your weight and not think anything of it -- I wouldn't want to share my exact weight with anyone other than my doctor otherwise.
That is soooooo true! My BFF doesn't even know my weight and I tell her things that would make a sailor blush...yet here it is plastered all over my online persona for the world to see...go figure.

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 08-25-2011 at 06:32 PM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
That is soooooo true! My BFF doesn't even know my weight and I tell her things that would make a sailor blush...yet here it is plastered all over my online persona for the world to see...go figure.
Me too! I cannot discuss diet and exercise with anyone except my sister. But here, I can blabber on about my eating issues, my weight loss, weight gain, etc. Amazing how that works! Not only do people not want to hear too much about it for their own personal reasons, I feel as though my choices to eat or not eat certain things will be judged. To Op: Welcome back! Places like 3FC make the road much more enjoyable :-)
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/153/138

When I go out to eat, I just order coffee and dessert, and don't bother with the calories from a meal I don't want anyway. Doesn't bother me if anyone remarks over it. We don't have dessert of any kind at home, is why I do it like that. Only go out to eat maybe 2 or 3 times a month, and there are no restaurants where we live, so eating at home is all there is.

It isn't easy though, and I figure it's only until assisted living someday, Then I won't want to eat much of anything, no matter what it is.

Until then, counting the calories is what works.
results not typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/241/200

Height: 6' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Me too! I cannot discuss diet and exercise with anyone except my sister. But here, I can blabber on about my eating issues, my weight loss, weight gain, etc. Amazing how that works! Not only do people not want to hear too much about it for their own personal reasons, I feel as though my choices to eat or not eat certain things will be judged.
I can't help but echo similar experiences. If friends or family outside of my wife know I am dieting then all of a sudden they become hypercritical as to how I am losing weight under the guise of being concerned for my health but meanwhile no one ever thought to even raise a peep about my health as they watched me ballon 125lbs overweight. I don't talk about it at all, wear my baggy clothes and have them wonder what's different. Funny enough I met had a coworker I have not seen since I lost 50 lbs recently. She mentioned I looked different, new haircut? Yea, new haircut( 4 weeks ago)
jandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  
Starting Over Again!

Default Comments

Quote:
She mentioned I looked different, new haircut? Yea, new haircut( 4 weeks ago)
I love that!!! I'd much rather someone say I looked good than start in on all the questions. I try to do the same when I see someone who has lost weight. I just tell them they are looking good and change the subject. If they want to go into details, I let them bring it up. I'm surprised at how many people think it is just so unusual and difficult to simply lower your calories and up your exercise. They almost seem disappointed that you didn't tell them you were eating dog food or something weird. I think they want a unique quick fix and the reality is just boring.

Unsolicited comments are really the worst and in front of others is so embarrassing. I'm sure there could be a section in this forum just on that subject. You just have to remember why you are doing this and who you are really accountable to...yourself...that's it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I think the issue is that people want instant gratification in many areas of life. Especially weight loss. They don't want to hear that you have actually count calories and exercise in order to lose the weight.
Many mean or rude comments stem really from jealousy and the fact that most people lack manners today. Fortunately, my family is pretty good in this aspect. The only comments I get sometimes or got in the past was "you're losing too much weight". It was frustrating to hear. Once I had a classmate in college tell me (to my face, while I was eating) that I'm anorexic! We were also in a nursing program. I was quite confused by that comment and just kinda laughed at her LOL.

It is nice to have a supportive and encouraging place to go to share our results. I have to say that personally I am quite comfortable talking about my weightloss with people. Sometimes people want genuine answers and even help or inspiration for them, so I'll share what I've been doing.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #14  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLady View Post
They almost seem disappointed that you didn't tell them you were eating dog food or something weird.
hahahaha!!!! With my disturbed sense of humor I think I am going to tell someone that (of course only when they are being rude, I'd never say it to someone who was being genuine) asks what I've been doing!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote