Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #1  

Default Just curious - how often do you weigh?

My first time @ weight loss - I weighed religiously every week with my nutritionist

This time, for some reason, I seem to be more concious of the scale and wanting it to go down too badly that I am disheartened when it doesn't move the way I want it to in a week -- (even though I know my previous patterns were normally loss every 2 weeks that averaged out 1.5 per week).

Anyways, curious as to how often you guys are weighing yourself? I am thinking of skipping this weeks weigh in and going it every 2 weeks...
GingerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #2  
I think I can...

I weight 3 x a week. Monday, Wednesday & Friday. To me this seems to be becoming a bit much. I felt really disappointed last week because I didn't see a loss at all. I can't imagine torturing myself with a daily weigh in, but I know it works for some and seems to keep them accountable. For me it just makes me frustrated.
I weighed myself yesterday, but am not planning to weigh tomorrow as I usually would. I had planned to skip this week entirely, but then remembered it's a holiday weekend so I will weigh Friday and again on Monday but will probably skip a week or so.
I just think it's more helpful for me to see a 3 or 4 pound loss every other week than to see nothing or tenths of pounds when I know I'm working my butt off!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #3  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Default Daily

I weigh every morning. Many people probably think that's crazy, but it works for me.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

I try to keep it at once a week but usually wind up weighing 2-3 times a week. I can't weight every day b/c seeing a stall or gain increases my likelihood of a binge. Logically I know that it's normal to have fluctuations, but for some reason it really gets me down. Weighing less often gives me a better chance of seeing a good sized loss, which makes me even more determined to keep at it!
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I weigh daily too.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #6  

I weigh once a week at the same time each week. I like this because it is frequent enough to allow you to monitor your progress, but not too frequent where daily fluctuation comes into play. Factors like water retention can easily make a 1-2 lb difference and you don't want this to discourage you.
Fitness Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #7  
Amazing will be me

i get weighed weekly at my ww meeting but im terrible for jumping on my scales at home every other day
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I still weigh in the mornings (when I remember) so I can get a feel for how my weight fluctuates throughout the week and around my TOM. Coming up on 1 month since I started my lifestyle change so I forsee it happening less frequently if I can get out of this plateau...
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm a daily weigher, to keep myself accountable. I don't get freaked at the sodium and TOM blips, but not ever weighing and/or owning a scale is a big reason I got to be the size that I was. It was like keeping myself in denial. So for me, it is practice in non-avoidance. So theraputic, in a way.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #10  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

1ce a week.

Scale=necessary evil. I'm not a fan.
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #11  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

every morning, and sometimes during the day simply because i'm curious.

Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Once every 3 months at the doctor's. Don't have room for a scale in my room seeing as I'm a Uni student. I do however use a tape measurer and measure about twice a month. I'm pretty curious to see what I've lost in the two months since I last weighed in. I have lost 7 cm around the waist, which hopefully translates to kilos as well.

Last edited by IsabellaOlivia; 06-29-2011 at 12:55 AM.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Every morning. I find it much easier to look at the overall pattern you get from daily weighing rather than focusing obsessively on individual days, whereas if it was only once a week I'd have trouble disregarding the days that weren't actually representative of the general trend.

I have the Salter Stow-a-weigh scales which take up practically no space at all on the bathroom floor. You do have to get a bit of duck tape and secure the two sticky-up bits on the stand, though, otherwise they tend to fall out every time you lift the scale out of the stand. It has the added bonus that you're not staring nervously at the surface of the scale every time you wander into the bathroom.

I didn't buy scales for the first month, as I had no idea whether the weight loss would actually work (I have a medical condition that can really mess things up in that area). Once I was sure from the fit of my clothes that I was losing weight, I got the scales. I felt anxious using them at first, and caught myself thinking, "Now for the moment of truth!" every morning (which was annoying mainly because it was always the same corny phrase running through my head), but that settled down fairly quickly. Which is good, as today I lost 1.8lb due to eating very little yesterday and throwing up most of it (that's the last time I try Tramadol for migraine), and tomorrow I wouldn't be at all surprised if my weight is up past where it was before, but I will be fine dealing with it if that's the case. I don't skip on days where I'm bloated or what have you either, I want to get used to the natural fluctuations so that I don't get freaked out by them.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Default I got fat by ignoring the scale.

I weigh every day and it's been astonishing. I've been averaging two pounds a week loss for six months now with the same calorie count, exercise regime and balanced nutrition and that damn scale goes all over the place; and I've replaced it once just to be sure. I've learned that extra exercise results in water retention as does one day forgetting to drink all the water. It's like two steps forward and one step back. So when I get a drop, I don't log it as such until it keeps showing up. For me, the [rare] astonishing good reads are paid for by lots more you've-got-to-be-kidding reads. Live by the scale, die by the scale. You must be brave, little Grasshopper.
matildatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/253/215

Height: 5'9

Once per week, the other days I keep it under the bed in the guest bedroom. I also drink a glass of water as soon as I get up so I won't be tempted to weigh more often.
kym215 is offline   Reply With Quote