Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #16  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
How do you handle alcoholic beverages? Do you just abstain totally? Do you drink sensibly? What's your low-cal beverage of choice? And HOW do you beat the munches after drinking???
I drink an average of 1 drink a month at the most. Never at parties -- usually with a meal on a date with DH. Or when we get home after dinner out.

I like the fruit foo foo drinks -- pina colada and pals -- if it is with my meal because it doubles as "dessert/treat thing" then.

Or a tbs of some cordial for my after dinner coffee.

Since it is so low, and with a meal already no munchies.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I used to try to drink while exercising and eating healthy and I've learned I CAN'T. Not at all! Even if I try to limit myself to a single drink, I get a buzz, decide "oh what the heck, I'll have one more" and then... it's all downhill from there. Regardless of whether it's one drink or four, I will pig out and binge on food. And worst of all, my favorite drink is a hoppy, strong IPA. Light beer just won’t cut it, I’d rather drink water.

I'd like to get to the point of being able to have a glass of wine here or there, but I'm not to that point yet. I do like some of the ideas that were thrown out about really pacing the glass of wine during dinner or making white wine spritzers. I will really need to give some of these things I try down the road!
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

Height: 5'6"

I don't drink. Not really because of the calories, I mean, I could budget it in and if you like drinking, that's what you could do. I don't drink because there's a history of addictions in my family and when I drink, I enjoy the feeling WAY too much.
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #19  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I totally gave up alcohol. I actually quit smoking, drinking and over eating within a few days of each other. I haven't had a drink in several years but not really because of the "diet" but because I was becoming quite the drunk. Because I was so fat and gaining at a rapid rate I was miserable. And because I was miserable the only thing that helped me "feel better" (for the short term) was booze. So basically within a 3 day period I would drink a 1.75ml jug of whiskey with diet coke. Oh how sick I would be every morning...So then I would eat a huge greasy breakfast to sop up the booze. I would nurse the hangover until around 4pm and then start the process all over again. I can't believe I lived through those days. Thank God they are over and Thank God I never got behind the wheel of a car...and Bless my Dear Husband for putting up with me in those 2-3 years of ****.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #20  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I have the occasional drink now and again, and from what I can tell it doesn't affect me. I used to drink a white russian or a glass of wine every other night, but since I started counting calories, the calorie amounts don't fit into my "every-other-night" routine. I do make them fit into my calories when I really want a drink, though!

Last edited by Emme; 06-03-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

I HAVE to have at least one glass of wine a day during my period. It's the only thing that helps with the cramps. Otherwise I let myself have wine or beer with dinner once a week, though I rarely take advantage of that. I don't drink as much as I used to but I log the calories, or don't if it's my day off (I have one of those a month).
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #22  

Height: 5'0"

For anyone interested, it's my understanding that vodka is one of the best drinks for catching the buzz with few calories. I have a friend who drinks it with diet cranberry juice.

I am thinking about trying vodka mixed with crystal light on the occasions I want to catch a buzz, and just sticking with white wine spritzers most of the other times.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #23  
I am in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
For anyone interested, it's my understanding that vodka is one of the best drinks for catching the buzz with few calories. I have a friend who drinks it with diet cranberry juice.

I am thinking about trying vodka mixed with crystal light on the occasions I want to catch a buzz, and just sticking with white wine spritzers most of the other times.
Yes! Vodka usually has anywhere from 50-75 calories per shot and I've mixed it with Crystal Light Strawberry Lemonade. Two drinks down and I was done! Granted, I used 2 shots of vodka per drink because they were tall cups, but two drinks was plenty for me for the night!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #24  
Working hard

S/C/G: 280/272/250

Height: 5'5"

I like the crystal light suggestion. The hubby and I have for years now had the routine to unwind from the week, we would drink Friday and Saturday nights after the kiddo went to bed. Usually I wouldn't care but when I am trying to lose weight and I am eating healthier I have found that the alcohol hits me so much faster than usual so I have to be very careful to drink slower to keep from over doing it. My preferred drink is white rum and I have switched to diet sprite, but might try the crystal light tonight. And I too have decided not to give up those things that I truly enjoy for ever, I will just have to learn to moderate
jenfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I dont. "Just 1 drink" leads to many...and then bar food...and then dessert and then disaster on the scale the following morning.
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #26  

Height: 5'5"

My friends and fam are all big drinkers - drinking is social for me. I work it in whether i am low carbing (dry white wine) or champagne. The biggest problem for me is the next day - I am always cravier for a day or two after a night of drinking and I often blow my diet then.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #27  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I remember someone posted in another forum on here- about a vodka that tastes like sweet tea and they now make it in the "skinny" version- *goes to google name*

Firefly skinny vodka. 72 cals per shot (which is more than plain vodka, but heyyy, if it tastes like sweet tea!) Sweetened with truvia, which I'm not sure I'd like because I hate stevia- to me, it tastes artificial. But, I may have to try this out.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

Vodka + Starbucks VIA instant coffee + a splash of almond milk + sweetener = low cal kahlua
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Amberelise- My husband and I are also very social people. Depending on who your friends are this is not always good for weight loss. I still have a hard time with people who don't understand if you are at an event and not drinking. Their attitude is really disturbing and can through me for a loop. In the last 6 weeks I have consumed my share of alcohol and I have lost 16 pounds. This may not work forever. I recommend sticking to your plan and not letting other influence your behavior.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #30  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by celrae View Post
Amberelise- My husband and I are also very social people. Depending on who your friends are this is not always good for weight loss. I still have a hard time with people who don't understand if you are at an event and not drinking. Their attitude is really disturbing and can through me for a loop. In the last 6 weeks I have consumed my share of alcohol and I have lost 16 pounds. This may not work forever. I recommend sticking to your plan and not letting other influence your behavior.
My friends gave me a very hard time at happy hour one night for only having two wines. They kept ordering me another one, but the waitress kept "forgetting" to bring it. (Because, yes, we knew her, lol.) By the end they were too trashed to notice anymore. And, one admitted that she just felt stupid because she was so drunk and I was sober - so it was *that* that bothered her more than anything else.

But, yeah, I feel the pressure, too. I hear ya. One little trick I've learned is to claim you're watching your money. People lay off more with that one.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote