Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I know you're working with a trainer, so this question may not apply, but are you changing up your work-out routine? Beyond the question of calorie intake, I've found that if I don't continue to push myself, find new muscle groups to work, stay on the bike those extra 5 minutes or adjust my intervals, etc., that my body stops burning as much because it's now found a new "normal."

Just a thought.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit in AZ View Post
Jen,

I presume you're talking to me? More than once in my post I said "Add additional calories to equal the desired amount for your daily caloric requirements." "You can increase your intake by doubling portion sizes."

When you eat real whole foods, 1000 - 1100 calories add up to a lot of nutrition. It eliminates the empty calories that are so popular. All a person would have to do is add some sugar ridden granola bar twice a day and it would boost the caloric intake up to 1400 calories in no time.

I can assure you, I don’t punish myself and I'm not in a coma.

Kit
Nope, not directed solely at you, but also directed at the OP and others who will check this thread.

I'm not saying you (generic "you" meaning anyone) can't get vital nutrition on a VLCD (very low calorie diet). I am saying, why do it if you don't need to?

I honestly don't get it. If you can lose weight without going that low, why go that low? Is it purely to lose weight faster?

My reasons, as stated above, for this being a bad idea for *most* people still stand.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #18  

I mostly do the elliptical as far as my cardio workout. I usually do 45-50 minutes per day. I have started to add in some stationary bike...about 10 minutes. I wish I could do the treadmill but it kills my ankles. I do strength excercises about 3 times/week as well.

I think I am going to try to up my calories again this week and see what happens. If I get the same results as last week, I am going back to 1000 calories/day.
my2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #19  

Peggiepie,

I’ve lost my weight the same as you. I eat a few more calories because that's when I feel satiate. I’m losing 2 pounds a week consistently and I love it! I’ve just started spacing my food out throughout the day. I’m finding that’s better for me than just the 3 meals per day.

I’ve spent the last 10 years over indulging myself. Now, it’s time to put my nose to the grindstone and get busy. Since, dieting is not an exact science yet, and there are as many different answers to the same questions as there are computer chairs. I’m going to do what I want, and if people feel the need to criticize me, OH WELL…
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #20  

Jen,

"I honestly don't get it. If you can lose weight without going that low, why go that low? Is it purely to lose weight faster?"

If a person is getting proper nutrition by eating fewer calorie whole foods and NOT eating junk foods, sugar, salty foods, saturated fats and trans fats, hydrogenated fats or over load on carbohydrates. Then I ask why not?

It’s a personal choice you see in America we have the freedom to make our own personal choices.

Last edited by JEN3; 05-03-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #21  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit in AZ View Post
I’ve spent the last 10 years over indulging myself. Now, it’s time to put my nose to the grindstone and get busy. Since, dieting is not an exact science yet, and there are as many different answers to the same questions as there are computer chairs. I’m going to do what I want, and if people feel the need to criticize me, OH WELL…

I'm sorry if my comments came across as personal criticism. I love the supportive environment of 3FC and I think it's important to maintain that.

I don't have it all figured out. Like I said before, everyone's body is different and responds to different things.

But . . . I can't get it out of my head that weight loss shouldn't, and can't be a punishment for "overindulging" ourselves. Over and over long-term maintainers here on 3FC have said that maintenance looks exactly like weight loss with a few more calories. We're all in this for the long haul, so why not make the journey as pleasant as possible?

In any case, I wish you the best, disagreements aside!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #22  

I for one am not punishing myself and I'm getting enough to eat with proper nutrition. I'm having a very pleasant journey losing weight. I'm hoping to find other people in the same mind set of efficiently losing weight as I am. I plan on eating a plant based whole food diet with as little red meat, animal fat oils and sugar, as possible. It’s a healthy lifestyle not a punishment. I feel great and every week when I step on the scales and see that 2 pound weight loss I feel even better!!