Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post

I like protein, but I do not like eating fat. I don't have a fat-phobia or anything, I know it's healthy for me. Some people say that fat fills them up and keeps them satisfied...not me! For 210 calories, I ate 2 tbsp of peanut butter and celery. I finished that snack in about 10 minutes and immediately wanted to eat more. For 240 calories, I can eat a huuuuge bowl of air popped popcorn that takes me about an hour to eat and I feel full and satisfied. The volume of high-fat foods for the calories is just too little to be worth it for me. I'd rather eat a large volume of low-fat foods, whether it's carbs, protein, veggies, w/e. From my experience, my "full, satisfied, and happy" level seems to ONLY be affected by volume as opposed to macronutrients. It's almost 99% a psychological thing. If I am eating a lot of food that takes up a lot of room on the plate and takes me a long time to eat, I WILL feel satisfied no matter what that food is.
I do think this will get better. At least, it did for me. My transition to more protein/fat and fewer carbs was a little more gradual, though, but as it is now I would absolutely prefer a Tbsp. of olive oil to a mini bag of popcorn.

If, however, you give yourself a couple of weeks and still hate it, you can go back to the popcorn and at least say you tried!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: Start 7/11/10

Height: 5' 10"

This is day 3 for me. Woke up this morning another pound down. Wow. I really wanted to believe that my body was just getting use to what I was doing. Now I see it for what it is -- better sooner than later!
one day at a time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #18  

I am returning to calorie counting (calorie points, not to be confused with Weight Watchers points), and I agree with everything JenMusic said.

I rarely waste my calories on rice, even brown rice because proteins, fats, veggies and fruits are so filling and satisfying. I just feel I get more bang for my buck. I too would rather have a tb. of good, extra virgin olive oil than a half cup of brown rice any day.

I do love many of the low carb recipes for breads, like the 1 minute muffin, etc. that are basically made with egg and flax meal. I find these creations so much more satisfying than regular store bought breads.

I find in the long term, I eat less calories when I focus on proteins and veg rather than starches.
myrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #19  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Well, day three.

My meal plan is more of the same. I'm a very odd eater, always have been. I was when I was a kid, and I was when I was overweight. It's not that I'm picky because I'll try any food and I like most of it. I very rarely come across a food I don't like. But I prefer to eat the same foods over and over and over and over. Every few weeks I'll substitute one food for something new and stick with that for a few weeks.

So here was my meal plan today...pretty much the same as yesterday and the day before, lol.

- Lunch: 5oz tuna salad with low-carb WrapUp wrap, veggie salad (romaine, tomato, cucumber, green pepper, no dressing)
- Snack: Cucumber
- Snack #2: Celery with peanut butter
- Dinner: Chicken breast, steamed broccoli, salad (spinach with feta cheese, greek olives, avocado, and a tiny bit of balsamic dressing)
- Snack: A whole green pepper cut into strips and dipped into 3tbsp hummus and a mozzarella cheese stick
Total: 1,270 calories, 73g Carbs, 117g Protein, 61g Fat, 29g Fiber.

I was down another .2lbs. I was 129.2 on Monday morning and I'm 128.2lbs today. Not really significant enough to call a real loss or a success or anything, but I like being 128._ better than being 129._ so I'm pleased anyways. For some reason I've been bloaty this week, so I KNOW I'm holding onto some water weight. Not sure why, I'm in the middle of my cycle, haven't really been eating high sodium, no new exercise...dunno. But my rings are tighter than usual and I have that bloaty mushy extra junk around my middle. Maybe I'll get a glorious whoosh in a few days...hehehe

I will say that I have not even been slightly hungry on my reduced carb/carb conscious plan. I especially feel it after eating my tuna for lunch...I feel STUFFED! And that full feeling lingers all afternoon...I'm not watching the clock waiting for dinner time like I do when I just eat oatmeal for lunch.

My inner 3yo is still throwing a tantrum about not having my huge bowl of popcorn every evening though. That's not so much about craving carbs or feeling hungry or anything. I just really liked having that specific snack because it took me so long to eat. I could lounge around on the couch feeling like I was mindlessly eating even though it was portion controlled. It was such a mind trick having all that food. One sliced green pepper, a blob of hummus, and a cheese stick isn't cuttin' it yet.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #20  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I will say that I have not even been slightly hungry on my reduced carb/carb conscious plan. I especially feel it after eating my tuna for lunch...I feel STUFFED! And that full feeling lingers all afternoon...
This is what has shocked me the most - how full I feel. I am about 3 weeks in, though I do still have a bit of carbs a couple days a week, today for example I had a slice of garlic toast and 1/2 a cookie - those were good choices for me given the circumstances lol.

My co-worker is doing weight watchers and she seems to be hungry a lot. I am a bit occasionally but for the most part I am fine.

I find it amazing that some yogurt, a hard boiled egg and some fruit can keep me full till lunch. Or that a salad and some meat can keep me full until dinner.

As for Popcorn... that always puts my scale up, always. So that makes it easier for me to not want to eat it. I dunno why, doesn't matter how healthy it is, my scale is up the next morning from eating it. Also, 1 pound is two days is pretty damn good I think!

Last edited by sotypical; 04-20-2011 at 06:59 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

The scale was down to 138.8 today.....-1.8 lbs in two days. Hmmmm.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #22  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Good job on the losses you guys This is turning out to be an interesting little experiment. I always thought watching carbs was a bit over the top since I lost so much and maintained for so long eating a very carby diet, but now I'm having to eat my words, I think.

My meal plan is the same today, so I won't bother posting it. The scale jumped up to 128.8lbs today, but I'm not too worried about it (will explain below).

I have a few observations to note.

1) I have zero hunger. I'm a boredom eater, and I'll go to the kitchen and grab a few bites of this and a few bites of that just to kill time, but since I've been focusing on eating significantly more protein, I have stopped that habit altogether. And not even on purpose, I just don't have any inclination to eat more than my planned foods. Even when it is time for a planned meal or snack, I'm not even that hungry.

2) I'm having an odd "symptom," and I don't know what else to blame it on except my significant chante in diet. I'm having a serious bloat issue. And NOT just the mushy "fat day" water weight, but almost a painful gassy bloat right in my abdomen. My tummy is kind of distended like it's really full, and it's firm. It's just uncomfortable. Not heartburn, not cramps, it just feels so bloaty it hurts, lol. And, let's just say I ate a lot of voluminous food yesterday and nothing...<ahem>...came out this morning. Which is why I'm not too concerned about my gain on the scale because *some* of that is eventually going to be "passed".....lol. Anyways, that's TMI and I know nobody wants to read about my bloaty belly, hahaha, but I do think it's an interesting symptom that I think is related to my diet change. And for the record, I'm getting about the same amount of fiber as I was before and drinking the same amount of water.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #23  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I calorie count in conjunction with moderating carbs and eating higher protein. It's really solved a lot of issues for me. Plus, I see a greater difference in my body fat when I lose weight eating this way. I know I am slightly IR so I figure I just need less carbs to function well than most people. My doctor is very happy with my progress and told me to keep on doing what I was doing.

Last edited by 4star; 04-21-2011 at 01:24 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #24  
It is what it is...

MKendrick - my husband does alot lower carb than me, like Atkins low and everyone he starts it, and starts eating all this protein he gets constipated, so that might be what is happening with you...
I have decided to drop my carbs a little lower this weekend...wish me luck
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #25  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Good job on the losses you guys This is turning out to be an interesting little experiment. I always thought watching carbs was a bit over the top since I lost so much and maintained for so long eating a very carby diet, but now I'm having to eat my words, I think.

My meal plan is the same today, so I won't bother posting it. The scale jumped up to 128.8lbs today, but I'm not too worried about it (will explain below).

I have a few observations to note.

1) I have zero hunger. I'm a boredom eater, and I'll go to the kitchen and grab a few bites of this and a few bites of that just to kill time, but since I've been focusing on eating significantly more protein, I have stopped that habit altogether. And not even on purpose, I just don't have any inclination to eat more than my planned foods. Even when it is time for a planned meal or snack, I'm not even that hungry.

2) I'm having an odd "symptom," and I don't know what else to blame it on except my significant chante in diet. I'm having a serious bloat issue. And NOT just the mushy "fat day" water weight, but almost a painful gassy bloat right in my abdomen. My tummy is kind of distended like it's really full, and it's firm. It's just uncomfortable. Not heartburn, not cramps, it just feels so bloaty it hurts, lol. And, let's just say I ate a lot of voluminous food yesterday and nothing...<ahem>...came out this morning. Which is why I'm not too concerned about my gain on the scale because *some* of that is eventually going to be "passed".....lol. Anyways, that's TMI and I know nobody wants to read about my bloaty belly, hahaha, but I do think it's an interesting symptom that I think is related to my diet change. And for the record, I'm getting about the same amount of fiber as I was before and drinking the same amount of water.
I had the same exact bloat problem. Went away in about 5 days.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #26  

S/C/G: Start 7/11/10

Height: 5' 10"

I have lost 3.2lbs since Monday. I knew something was up with my body, but I was in complete denial about it. I am a carb addict. Through and through. I have way too much weight to lose to only be losing 8-9lbs a month and that is what my body was slowing down to.
one day at a time is offline   Reply With Quote