Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Wine-ing about losing!

LoL.

Is it possible to have a glass of wine and lose if you still have a significant calorie deficit for the day? I take in about 1600 calories on workout days (burning 550 cal on average), all healthy foods and usually like to have a glass of wine too. Will I still lose?

Anyone still lose while enjoying a cocktail here and there?

Thanks!
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sure - just be sure to count the calories. By the way, a lot of the workout calories burned figures are not very realistic. Lots of folks just ignore them.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/182/150

Height: 5'8"

Very cool... I definitely do add those calories in - no calorie goes uncounted.
I use a Polar heart rate monitor, I've heard that they are fairly realistic since you enter your sex, age, height and weight.
I do about 45-60 minutes of aerobic/ cardio workouts, I'm thinking 500-600 calories burned is possible.
BritMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

I just lost 10 pounds in a month and still had a beer once or twice a week (one night I had three beers and lost two pounds the next morning). It's possible, just count the calories.
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

I have a few drinks sometimes, but I make sure to include them in my count - as in if I have to eat a little less at meals to enjoy a couple of drinks, I will do that. I won't have them if it takes me over my daily count though.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #6  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Yes - though I'm losing slower than I want to (lifestyle change not immediate change) - I can't go 1-2 weeks without partying with my friends.

But because I want to lose weight, I have cut out a lot of alcohol (I used to drink 3-4 times a week - not to drunk everytime - but a few here, a few there) quite considerably... now I DO NOT drink more than 1, occasionally 2 times a week.

It sucks sometimes (when I really want to have a glass of wine with dinner - or am going on a date) BUT - the days I do want to drink - I definitely plan for it. And plan to dance usually while I'm drinking

Anyway - I haven't cut it out completely - which has made me happier in the long run. (Though I do wish I could drink more!) I also have cut what I drink - now I do vodka and diet coke instead of vodka tonic (I find if I don't drink diet coke much during the week - it tastes somewhat sweet (if only they had coke-zero at bars). I do not drink light beer though - as I feel that is a joke - I swear it has less alk by volume and so you would have to drink two to make it feel like a real beer, and it doesn't even taste good - so what is the point - plus I prefer belgium beer!!

Anyway as the ladies said - just account for it - and you will be great!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #7  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I've been having a drink or two a week and am losing 2-3 lbs a week. I just started 3 weeks ago but I've lost 8 lbs so I'm making progress.

I read up on it, it seems that the lower the alcohol content of wine, the lower the calories. Just so happens, I love super sweet moscatos, which are apparently one of the lowest calorie wines (and only about 5-6% alcohol). My other choice is hard cider, around the same alcohol content. A bottle is about 130 calories, so I just budget one in on the weekends, or sometimes i share a bottle with my other half.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I have wine too, and count it in my calories. Be careful though! Since I'm not eating like I used to and I'm smaller drinks hit me a lot harder. Also, I'm sure that I would have lost a lot faster if I cut it out completely. But I wanted a diet plan that I knew I could stick with forever. And yes, that includes wine.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #9  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I do the same as everyone else. I drink maybe once or twice a month and budget for the calories. I stick mostly to mixed drinks...i.e., vodka and sprite zero or captain & diet. Roughly 75 cals/drink.

Once in a great while I do take a day "off" from counting when I know I'm not going to be able to keep track of the calories (lol), otherwise I try to estimate how many drinks I'm going to have ahead of time and plug them into my lose it app before I drink.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote