Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Breannaj1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coconut creek, FL
Posts: 578

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Tomorrows dinner out. Help!!!!

Im going on a date tomorrow to the restaurant below. Please read and let me know what my healthiest option would be Thanks. its a pdf of the menu. The 2nd link is the restaurant website and once ur there u click menus

http://www.bogartsofboca.com/pdf/Bogarts_dinner.pdf


http://www.bogartsofboca.com
Breannaj1215 is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #2  
Senior Member
 
chickybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,102

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Default

I'd go with any of the following:
split pea soup
boca plate with any of the meat choices except the steak
mixed green salad
lemon roasted chicken
simply prepared fish of the day.
Have fun!
chickybird is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy
 
SCraver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Willington, CT
Posts: 1,404

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default

I asked the woman at the gym a while ago about what to eat at a resturant that didn't provide nutritional info. Things she said to watch out for: Large buns/rolls, anything with a dressing on it, cheese, and bacon.

The dinners under the "Spa Collection" don't look bad. Load up on veggies (but ask them to steam them WITHOUT butter... I had steamed veggies at the place I went to and they were the GREASIEST stemed veggies I ever ate).

Skip the rolls/bread at the beginning.

Eat half (or less) of your meal.

And remember - it is about enjoying the company you are with - not about over eating!
SCraver is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,192

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default

That place is tough, I'd probably get a 1/2 order or the Balsalmic chicken salad, dressing on side, no cheese and pick off half the crispy onions.
Glory87 is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #5  
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 281

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Default

Its a date. Haven't you ever heard of taking a break and eating what you want? Is it really worth worrying about a few hundred extra calories and then eating something you really didn't want to eat but chose that option only because of nutrtion?

Personally I'd go for the DIJON CRUSTED CHICKEN “MILANO”.
benchmarkman is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #6  
Senior Member
 
thesame7lbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,219

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Default

Well, up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with benchmarkman. But then I started reading more and more of the nutritional information from restaurants.

The thing is, it can be horrible. Something that sounds rather healthy can be ridiculously caloric (Grilled fish tacos? 1000+ calories at Austin Grill).

So now I feel, if I want to go out to dinner, and have a glass or two of wine, and share an appetizer, and have my own entree, and share a dessert, it really does help to make smart choices.

That doesn't mean you have to walk in and ask for a glass of ice water and grilled dry fish with plain steamed broccoli and immediately put half of it into a to-go box.

But things like maple dijon cream sauce? Just not worth it to me anymore unless it's a very rare opportunity at a very special restaurant. Or unless I know it's going to be fabulous. How many times have you gotten something fattening and it hasn't really been so good that it's worth it? Is a bad enchilada better than a good grilled chicken breast?

So I like what others have said... I'd personally go with gazpacho, either the roasted chicken or the boca plate with chicken, mahi mahi or tuna, or the simply prepared fish. I'd go easy on the rice.

And I'd share a dessert.
thesame7lbs is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #7  
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 281

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Well, up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with benchmarkman. But then I started reading more and more of the nutritional information from restaurants.

The thing is, it can be horrible. Something that sounds rather healthy can be ridiculously caloric (Grilled fish tacos? 1000+ calories at Austin Grill).

So now I feel, if I want to go out to dinner, and have a glass or two of wine, and share an appetizer, and have my own entree, and share a dessert, it really does help to make smart choices.

That doesn't mean you have to walk in and ask for a glass of ice water and grilled dry fish with plain steamed broccoli and immediately put half of it into a to-go box.

But things like maple dijon cream sauce? Just not worth it to me anymore unless it's a very rare opportunity at a very special restaurant. Or unless I know it's going to be fabulous. How many times have you gotten something fattening and it hasn't really been so good that it's worth it? Is a bad enchilada better than a good grilled chicken breast?

So I like what others have said... I'd personally go with gazpacho, either the roasted chicken or the boca plate with chicken, mahi mahi or tuna, or the simply prepared fish. I'd go easy on the rice.

And I'd share a dessert.
But how often are you going to get the chance to try the dijon cream sauce? If you don't try it you'll never know if it was worth it or not, unless you can get a review from another "trusted" source. As a maintainer for 7 years after losing 80lbs I've come to realize that you only live once in the long run its not worth fretting over an extra few hundred calories. Just hit the gym for a couple of extra minute the next day
benchmarkman is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Breannaj1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coconut creek, FL
Posts: 578

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default

im not much of a cream sauce person. Im probably gonna get the lemon chicken. thanks ladies!
Breannaj1215 is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #9  
Senior Member
 
seagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast US
Posts: 2,440

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Default

It's a date. Don't be picking things off your food or being "on the side" with everything.

The curry shrimp noodles and wasabi seared tuna look good!

Have fun, and hope the date is good!
seagirl is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #10  
No description available.
 
midwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 6,915

Default

Unfortunately, some restaurant food is far more calorie laden than with a few hundred extra calories. Could very well be 1000 over what one had planned for the day.

As it is, there will always be dates, holidays, work meetings, etc., and I think that one of the benefits of the calorie counting forum is the ability to seek out input on menu choices. It would be nice if all menus offered nutritional info, but they don't, so the collective wisdom here at 3FC can be very useful.

If I ate whatever cream sauce-laden dish that was on the menu with every special occasion, date, holiday, eating out with the in-laws, etc., I'd be....well, fat again. So we're all different.

Last edited by midwife; 07-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.
midwife is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Breannaj1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coconut creek, FL
Posts: 578

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default

true! that's why i dont eat that when i go out. I think i may have the french onion soup and half a salad. I havent had that soup in forever and its my fav
Breannaj1215 is offline  
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #12  
it's always something
 
Suzanne 3FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 11,615

Default

I love that you asked what was healthiest on the menu. You didn't ask what sounded good no matter how many calories it has, like one member seemed to think You wanted something healthy and it sounds like you'll get it I hope your date will be just as nice!
Suzanne 3FC is offline  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:29 AM   #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Breannaj1215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coconut creek, FL
Posts: 578

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default

i cant think about what sounded good or id eat something with thousands of cals. i didnt wind up going but would of been nice lol
Breannaj1215 is offline  
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #14  
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 281

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Unfortunately, some restaurant food is far more calorie laden than with a few hundred extra calories. Could very well be 1000 over what one had planned for the day.

As it is, there will always be dates, holidays, work meetings, etc., and I think that one of the benefits of the calorie counting forum is the ability to seek out input on menu choices. It would be nice if all menus offered nutritional info, but they don't, so the collective wisdom here at 3FC can be very useful.

If I ate whatever cream sauce-laden dish that was on the menu with every special occasion, date, holiday, eating out with the in-laws, etc., I'd be....well, fat again. So we're all different.
1000 calories not even a 1/3 of a lbs. Life is more than dieting, there is the experience too. I didn't say be glutenous but you have to go out and experience the world and not worry about every calorie you put in your mouth.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 07-25-2010 at 08:07 AM.
benchmarkman is offline  
Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #15  
No description available.
 
midwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 6,915

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
1000 calories not even a 1/3 of a lbs. Life is more than dieting, there is the experience too. I didn't say be glutenous but you have to go out and experience the world and not worry about every calorie you put in your mouth.
When someone comes asking about how to choose the healthiest option from a menu, she is seeking advice about the healthiest option on the menu. If she wanted to eat whatever she wanted, she could have done that without seeking support and information.

We can all decide when to splurge and go off plan, but that is not what the OP was asking.

Last edited by midwife; 07-25-2010 at 10:48 AM.
midwife is offline  
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~+~Get Me Out Of The 200'S~+~ Taylor86 20-Somethings 505 07-05-2010 11:12 PM
PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ April Thread Justwant2Bhealthy Dieting with Obstacles 87 05-01-2009 12:14 AM
PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ October's Monthly Thread #002 Justwant2Bhealthy Dieting with Obstacles 93 11-08-2007 11:30 PM
Aussie Chicks kathyhegg Support Groups 1948 05-18-2007 12:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.