Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #1  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

Default Calorie Questions

Hi

I don't normally count calories. I usually follow the SouthBeach plan, but I want to count calories to see where I stand. I have been lax with my portion control so I think counting calories for some time will help with this. I just want to make sure I have the right calorie level.

I am 5'7 and weigh 213. I am 34 years old. I used a BMR calculator that said I need 2071 to maintain this weight. If I eat around 1500 calories a day I theoretically should lose 1-2 pounds a week right?

My question is if I eat around 1500 and I also exericise that day do I eat more that day or not? I read that 10000 steps on a pedometer equals burning 400 calories.

So if I walk the 10000 steps and eat 1500 calories I should definatly lose 2 pounds.

Thanks for any help.

Tammie
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Howdy. Counting calories would certainly give you and idea if you are eating too much or not, but knowing how much you will lose is not entirey predictable. There are more variables than just calories in < calories out, particularly over the short term. Long term, if you eat less than you use, you'll lose weight. It might be a pound this week and 4 the next, or it might be none this week and 2 the next and one the week after. I have done various levels of exercise, some aerobic, some just moving, not really getting the heart rate up, and I have varied my calories staying generally within 1300-1600, but sometimes a little lower and sometimes a little higher. Last week and the week before, I've done mostly just yardwork and housework, not my usual 6 days a week walking 9r riding the bike, and I've been eating a little over 1500 calories on average and lost 2 lbs. A couple weeks before that I was riding a few miles a day or walking a 14 minute mile video and eating around 1400 cals average, and I only lost one lb.

I think what's important to note is that overall, I am doing more activity than the calories I'm consuming, so I am on a consistent losing trend. The chores are fairly active, but not as much as my normal exercise routine.

I hope that makes sense :-)

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #3  

I don't "eat back" my calories. I am maintaining and I eat around 1800 most days. I also work out for around an hour almost every day and I don't increase my calories for it. If I wasn't working out I would have to eat fewer calories to maintain my weight.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote