Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #1  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Cooking/Baking for other people

Is frustrating!

I'm taking lunch to my sister-in-law's house tomorrow, and I made the bulgur salad I posted in the 400 calorie dinners/lunches thread, but I wanted to make a dessert too. My SIL can't have any dairy, and so when I saw a recipe this week in the New York Times for a mexican chocolate pudding made with silken tofu, I thought - perfect! I went to three stores tonight to find silken tofu and bittersweet Scharffen Berger, then made the pudding and calculated all the calories and fat while letting it set in the fridge... and found that it's 400 calories and 21g fat per serving!!! It's the chocolate - there was more than 100g fat in the 9.7oz bar. Holy moses. I took one bite of the pudding tonight to make sure it tasted ok, but more than a few bites tomorrow seems out of the question. Thankfully chocolate pudding is not one of my weaknesses.

This week I'm on dessert duty for birthdays at work (I signed up before I started this weight loss thing). I won't even mention what kind of cupcakes I'm making, but they are amazingly good and it's going to kill me to not eat one. Cupcakes ARE a weakness. Grrrr....
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Ahh so frustrating!
I love to bake! As do my friends so we've always been baking buddies. I still love baking but its very annoying to not eat the delicious, decadent things we mix up.
I also love cooking and coming up with new combinations. I have to keep it healthy now but It's almost more of an accomplishment to make a healthy alternative to a not so healthy dish.

ALSO! I hate when I'm browsing online and see "Healthy(Low Calorie, Low Fat, etc) _______" and get excited, click the link and then find that their version of healthy is not really any better.

Last edited by KellyMarie90; 01-30-2011 at 10:11 AM.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

I've struggled with this recently. It was my lovely boyfriend's birthday and as I'm broke I decided to bake him his favourite, cinnamon swirls. They have been staring at me every time I go in the fridge!
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thank you for sympathizing! I come from a family of bakers and really love baking for people, and I feel like homemade desserts should be something decadent... and therefore a once-in-a-while treat. It would be great though if I could find a way to lighten up some of my favorite dessert recipes - I'll have to work on that!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote