Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/174.4/150

Height: 5'6

Default have question/ need advice zig zag calorie counters

Hello all,

I have decided this morning to try calorie counting after not having much success with southbeach diet.

My question is....in terms of calorie counting do you just focus on how much calories are in each meal or do you try to focus on the types of foods e.g. leave carbs out of breakfast and have a bread at lunch or vice versa. Or do you try to just keep it balanced? Also what is the easiest way to plan meals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Leonea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't pay much attention to WHEN I eat, as long as I'm eating pretty much throughout the day and not keeping myself hungry all day and eating all my calories at night. I haven't noticed any difference between eating late at night, early in the day, etc and my weight (though I have noticed that I feel better when I eat in different ways...breakfast at least an hour before morning workout, no refined carbs by themselves, no sugar and alcohol in combination...but that's less about timing and more about what I'm eating).

I did make an effort early on in my journey to eat more at lunch, and found an easy solution to ensure my lunch and dinner calories are pretty balanced...I cook 4 portions of dinner so that we'll have lunch leftovers, and eat those for lunch the next day. That way, if my dinner last night was on plan, my lunch will be too, and I know that I'm getting about the same calories at lunch as at dinner. I'd say the main advantage of that, though, is that lunch is always planned and taken care of, saving me a lot of headaches and planning time.

The nice thing about calorie counting is that you can adapt it to yourself. You may do better with your calories spread out, or with other little "tweaks"...you'll discover those along the way!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The nice thing about calorie counting is that you can adapt it to yourself. You may do better with your calories spread out, or with other little "tweaks"...you'll discover those along the way!
I agree with mandalinn on this... I didn't try any other diet, because I wanted to be sure I could sustain my changes long after I was done losing weight. So I chose calorie counting for it's flexibility. I am a meal person and don't like eating breakfast. So I try for a small breakfast (of oatmeal and fruit or something of the like) and a balanced lunch and dinner. I haven't noticed a change in weight based on the time that I eat how much, but I do notice trends when it comes to certain food. I also do my best (most days ) to make most of my calories come from positive sources, ie: fruit, veggies, lean protein, etc.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

I have had success with eating something every 3 - 4 hours. So, I shoot for 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I make sure I have some protein at each meal as that keeps me from getting hungry in between meals. It really is an indivdual thing but it helps me to make my meal plan in advance and to write down everything I will be eating and the calories in each item. Being new to calorie counting this is important.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote