Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I greatly limit foods of limited nutritional value most of the time. More specifically than calorie couting, I really feel that sticking to foods low on the glycemic index are much better for me weight wise.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbabe8406 View Post
I have tried to cut back my sugar intake in the past just because it does affect my hunger levels. If I eat something sugary or made with white flour, I will be super hungry within an hour or two. Right now is my busy time at work though so I have been splurging on some chocolate at night when I get home. It's my little treat for this stressful time.

Why on earth did it take me so friggin' long to figure this out???????
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #18  
On My Way To Skinny

S/C/G: 239/239/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Thanks everyone for your input. I just need to find a balance but it's like a mental road block for me I'm scared to take this stuff out my diet in fear of failing and I'm scared to keep it in my diet.
MyJourney2Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I'll be the first to admit I'm weird, but this is what I do... If I feel like I have to have chocolate (or whatever) I measure out a small portion and try to really enjoy it. And if it leaves me feeling like I really have to have more then I eat a pickle. Something about eating a pickle sets my taste buds back to zero.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #20  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I haven't given up anything either. I just decide whether it will be productive for what I have to do that day. Even things that are good for other folks on their plans aren't good for my when eating prior to working out. If there is something I feel like I want to eat, I will but I have to calculate it into the calorie budget. I have even figured out how to have chips. I don't do them but maybe once a month and there is only a small bag of them available or I will go COMPLETELY overboard.

Decide what you can do without causing you to sabotage yourself and do it. This is why I love calorie counting. I can do what I like as long as I budget for it. Just like I do with my money.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I can't seem to cut anything out all the time. I do eat more vegetables and fruit. I try to eat very little earlier in the day because I crave food in the evening and it's hard to work with. I avoid pasta when I can or I'll go overboard.

I cut down on bread (esp white), red meat, candy, cookies (what are those again?), butter (I LOVE to use this on veggies... argh!). I drink water, calorie free stuff. I haven't eaten cheese by itself in a long time, or a lot of cheese or milk products. I will not touch a shake from a restaurant these days.

I recommend crystal light, and esp white grape...lotta flavor for a diet drink. I have trouble with stuff with spenda...kind of a yuck aftertaste.

Oh, and I incorporate fiber because 1) It makes you feel fuller 2) it keeps things "regular"... and really most people don't get enough of it.
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #22  
19Deltawifey

OP if it leads to you binging and increases your hunger maybe you should eliminate it or cut way back. I haven't cut anything out of my diet except for alcohol and coffee. Im losing weight slowly but its easier for me to stick with this lifestyle if I can continue eating things that Im used to. My diet has to fit my lifestyle and day to day life. Moderation is my aproach.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #23  
On My Way To Skinny

S/C/G: 239/239/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Toobig.. I like the pickle trick I will have to try that one. Have a nice day everyone!!
MyJourney2Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have cut back on sugar and white flour - But, I don't say never can have it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I haven't cut anything out *completely*, but I eat sugar, white breads, white pastas & white potatoes very sparingly. Of those, the one I have pretty much cut completely is sugar. The reason is, there isn't a big bang for your calorie buck. For example, I could eat a piece of cake - no food is off limits to me. But when I stop and think about the amount of filling food that is really good for me that I could eat for the same amount of calories as the cake, there is just no contest. If I want to remain satisfied & not hungry during the day, I need to choose foods that will fill me up, stay there awhile & not make me crave things. I mainly eat things like lots of green veggies, sweet potatoes, butternut squash & proteins.

I am loving the food I eat now, but I have found that you need to experiment to not get bored with things. My absolute fave way to fix veggies is to roast them in the oven with a little extra virgin olive oil & some spices. Pure heaven right there!
This is me too. Honestly, I have not been great at calorie counting lately, but when I'm on I still don't deprive myself of anything. I choose foods that are the best bang for the buck both calorie-wise and nutrition-wise and throw in the occassional treat.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #26  

Wish I could take credit for the pickle trick but I read it on this site somewhere. And now I always have a jar of baby dills in the fridge. lol
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #27  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I don't forbid any food. No food is good or bad. I can eating whatever I want to, but I understand that there are consequences to eating certain foods. Some foods I have a hard time limiting. Those foods I avoid because I know what I will do if I start. Even though I avoid them, I don't forbid them. Forbidding causes me the crazies. lol. The most important thing for me is to COUNT EVERY BITE. I do this for the discipline of it, to understand how I think when it comes to food, to keep from fooling myself. I am one of the few that says this is a diet, not a lifestyle change. I am doing these things to lose weight. When it is time to maintain my weight, then I will do the lifestyle thing.

Some foods I may overeat just because they are so rich or so rare to have. (Think holiday foods or eating in a restaurant). These foods I plan out ahead of time, working out the calories before I eat so that I am aware of my choices and the calories I will be dealing with. Since my goal is a monthly average of my calories, I can fluctuate in order to accommodate real life eating situations. However, I don't kid myself about it. Eating a higher amount of calories for one day is still about good and worthwhile choices, not about indulgence for the moment.

My husband and I are on the road for 5 weeks at a time. We use to go to a restaurant about 3 or 4 times in that 5 weeks (I cook on the truck otherwise), but I found that even the simplest breakfast could easily add up to 800 calories, nearly my full day's total. I finally had to ask for support and lessen the restaurant visit to 1 while out. It just stressed me out too much, I am not ready to have to deal with it right now. That is something I never did before, ask for support.

So for me, it is about learning what works, what doesn't and being flexible and still remain on track for weight loss. There are times I am stronger in my resolve than other times. I allow more calories when the time really warrants it, but I am careful to stay exactly on target when my resolve is waivering. I know that sounds strange, but it is how I do it.

It is a healthy and positive choice to avoid foods you know have always been a part of overeating for you. Just don't get too restrictive or resentment will kick in eventually. Sending you happy thoughts!
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 164/151/125

Height: 5'4"

Well I gave up soda, coffee, and hamburgers But as far as white flour and sugar, I have it on occasion I didn't totally eliminate it from my diet but I limit it. I have treats every once and a while. But, as long as it is n my calorie range.
orangebelpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #29  

orangebelpeper- You can make hamburgers at home that aren't too bad.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #30  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

Heya!
Even though you have too~ I've given up solid carbs like pasta, potatoes, bread etc unless I need to eat something solid before an exam or something I've also given up chocolate and sugary things ¬_¬ and things with high sat fat content <3 but this is just my personal choice
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote